Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Music exam 2moro! - HSN forum

Music exam 2moro!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Klass Clown

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Lods... Im pretty much interested by everything but my main hobbies are:<br />-Art, of course, creating and observing.<br />-Music (I tend to be flexible when it comes to genres but Im a massive hip-hop fan)<br />-Sadly, politics (always taken an interest)<br />-And since studying Higher History Ive become very interested and fascinated by Nazi Germany (and all those crazy wee Neo-Nazi cults)<br />-Ive resently developed a craze for chuck taylors as well.<br /><br />Well thats basicaly it, obviously Im in to movies and reading and stuff like that but I presume most people are. (Oh, and the internet but most people on here probably are - lol... yeah that was kinda rubbish.)

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hows everyone feeling about it? Im okay but I still have quite alot to revise
All or Nothing.

#2 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

I'm feeling same as yerself really - not too bad about it but still got a lot to do. I'm quite worried about that question where you have to sort the stuff under the headings after comparing the 2 pieces of music. unsure.gif

I really need to do well in the listening though because my performance stuff was utterly crap.

Can anyone help me with this; how do you recognise a diminished or dominant 7th chord, added 6th chord etc.? I just cant do that!

#3 Tintin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

I found this site and think that it is rather good for getting to grips with concepts:
http://www.liberton.edin.sch.uk/Music/index.htm
cool.gif

#4 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 16 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post
I'm quite worried about that question where you have to sort the stuff under the headings after comparing the 2 pieces of music. unsure.gif
Yeah, it's pretty difficult. What's most annoying is the fact that we're the last year to have to do that sort of question.

QUOTE(Tintin @ May 16 2006, 02:53 PM) View Post
I found this site and think that it is rather good for getting to grips with concepts:
Excellent link, shame my computer doesn't have speakers...

#5 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Tintin @ May 16 2006, 02:53 PM) View Post

cool.gif

Yeah I've come across that site before! Its pretty good.

I also have a Listen Hear cd thing too. The name sounds like a music lesson for 5 year olds but its made for Higher candidates and it gives detailed description of every concept and examples of the concepts and shows the music to them etc. Has been totally useful. (and I'd recommend it to anyone who is taking music next year.)

But I still dont know how to recognise these chords. crying.gif

Andy yeah I was hearing about the music course changing next year. The Higher performance stuff is just gr 4 for both instruments, theory is meant to have more importance and inventing is now called "composition"! And the adv higher folk (if doing performance ext) only have to have 2 instruments at gr 5! ohmy.gif dry.gif

#6 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 16 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post

I'm feeling same as yerself really - not too bad about it but still got a lot to do. I'm quite worried about that question where you have to sort the stuff under the headings after comparing the 2 pieces of music. unsure.gif

I really need to do well in the listening though because my performance stuff was utterly crap.

Can anyone help me with this; how do you recognise a diminished or dominant 7th chord, added 6th chord etc.? I just cant do that!

Added 6th is the jazziest chord known to man, so if you get the urge to whap out a double bass, its one of them. Diminished 7th consists of "3 intervals of a minor 3rd built up one on top of the other", sounds minor...i think (don't quote me on that, not too sure). Dominant 7th are pretty hard to explain... your ear should sense a strong pull towards the 5th note of the key, and you'll be able to hear the added 7th note. The way I do it is if its not one of the others, its one of these. Augmented chords sound crushed, as though the notes in a normal chord have been brought closer together (which is what happens).

About the course changing next year...funny thing is, this year, I played both my instruments at grade 5 for higher (my bass teacher didn't know that the second was only meant to be grade 4). So that p*ssed me right off when I found out lol. At least I won't have to do any work for the free-standing unit I'll be taking next year at advanced higher level...

#7 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

I would describe a diminished seventh as "ominous" but not necassarily minor. It should be quite easy to distinguish though, it is generally built on the seventh note of the scale although you will need to change the notes of the chord a bit - a chord built on the seventh note of the scale is a minor seventh flat fifth but if the minor seventh is lowered again (diminished) it becomes diminished seventh chord. These chords are pretty interesting, they can be used in any inversion and still produce a chord with the same intervals (due to the stacking of minor thirds). Also, the presence of the tritone interval is important in my opinion because it helps in developing the chords characteristic sound. It's probably best if you play the chord yourself and develop your own opinion on what it sounds like, but generally I find this the easiest chord to recognise because it's so distinct.
If you want to play the chord on your intsrument, try playing the notes E, Bb, Db and G and you will hear what it sounds like.

I'll probably do pretty badly tomorrow, I'm not very good at listening. I've done decent in my performing and hopefully my inventing too, so I'm not particularly worried about the exam.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#8 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

GOOD LUCK to all sitting the music exam tomorow!!!
It should be a challenge, Keep a straight mind (and a straight face if the music is anything like what its been in previous papers) and everything will go great!
If all else fails remember to write everthing you can in the grid question.
If you get stuck, write down every concept you know and with a bit of luck, you'll pick up some marks!
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will

#9 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(will_789 @ May 16 2006, 10:38 PM) View Post
Keep a straight mind (and a straight face if the music is anything like what its been in previous papers) and everything will go great!
Hehe, yeah. The choice of music is rather unusual...

QUOTE(will_789 @ May 16 2006, 10:38 PM) View Post
If all else fails remember to write everthing you can in the grid question.
If you get stuck, write down every concept you know and with a bit of luck, you'll pick up some marks!
But don't write down too many random concepts for the grid question otherwise you'll get marks deducted.

Good luck everyone!

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

just read the PA report for last years Higher Miusic exam. LAst year there was a problem with the midi exam. In this exam there is a MIDI file saved on a floppy disk and after each question u save to the disk. however, last year the file was significantly bigger such that not all the questions fitted on it. In the PA report they seem to be trying to blame this on centres using the wrong software when obviously the fault was with whoever decided to use the file!!!!

If anyone is doing MIDI this year and using CUbase you must check that the file has saved properly as there is a bug in Cubase that if the disk isnt large enough it will just create a zero sized file and return no error which is why there was problems so watch out guys

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 17 2006, 12:21 AM) View Post
just read the PA report for last years Higher Miusic exam. LAst year there was a problem with the midi exam. In this exam there is a MIDI file saved on a floppy disk and after each question u save to the disk. however, last year the file was significantly bigger such that not all the questions fitted on it. In the PA report they seem to be trying to blame this on centres using the wrong software when obviously the fault was with whoever decided to use the file!!!!

If anyone is doing MIDI this year and using CUbase you must check that the file has saved properly as there is a bug in Cubase that if the disk isnt large enough it will just create a zero sized file and return no error which is why there was problems so watch out guys
I'm doing midi sequencing this year (only person in my school). I use Logic so hopefully there won't be any problems, it would be annoying if the disk wasn't big enough for all of the files.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users