Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Holidays - HSN forum - Page 3

Holidays

77 replies to this topic

#41 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

Indeed Kyiv around the New Year is relatively cold. Colder than here certainly and of places like Odessa on the Black Sea coast (the Black Sea does have a significant temperature moderating effect) but not as cold as somewhere like Moscow. December averages -1/-6C and January -4/-10C:
IPB Image
Climate graph for Kiev from the BBC.

I believe much of the notable architecture is Ukrainian Baroque. I don't think there is the same breadth of architecture as in St Petersburg where influences from France, Germany, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece etc. were seen under Catherine the Great. However, there have been other influences like you say, such as Ukrainian modernism (ca. 1900-1930).

IPB Image
Ukrainian Modernism: Horodetsky's Beast House, 1903.

There are traditional gems such as Saint Sophia's Cathedral (a UNESCO World Heritage Site):
IPB Image
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#42 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:54 PM

Haha, not too cold then.

That "Beast House" building looks fantastic. I love Stalinist neo-classical architecture too, but I'm not sure how prevalent that was in the Ukraine. I know the "Seven Sisters" around Moscow in Russia are certainly something to behold. This building is on the main street of Kiev, I believe:

IPB Image

It's kinda awe-inspiring the way the Red Army destroyed the street themselves in retreat and then it was totally rebuilt to that...immenseness (?!)...in a new architectural style post-war.

#43 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

That is very impressive. I believe that is the Central Post Office building, one of few remaining buildings surrounding Independence Square from the Stalin period.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#44 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

Haha, they don't build 'em like they used to!

#45 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:25 PM

I have to say when I was in Washington, D.C. one of the things I was most impressed with was the imposing architecture.

IPB Image
The U.S. Capitol Building.

IPB Image
National Gallery.

Would have used my own photos but I don't have them on this computer.

For photos of St Petersburg check out http://www.megaholiday.com/saintpetersburg/index.html

One of the good things about Ukraine being an ex-Soviet country is how cheap the public transport is. It is about 5p for a ride on the metro in Kyiv and train journeys across the country are very cheap too.

#46 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

I think you might enjoy parts of History of Art course I'm doing...

We spent a few weeks looking at architecture and classical antiquity - having to learn about all that Roman/Greek style inspired architecture with their doric and ionic orders - pediment, entablature, column, stylobate, frieze, architrave blah blah blah... had to write a big essay on it.

We also looked at baroque and gothic architeture and stuff too. Quite interesting.

#47 KDYFloorballer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

We always leave it till the last minute to book holidays. No matter how many times we tell ourselves to book earlier it never happens! So, obviously I don't know where I'm going. Probably not abroad, though.

I've always fancied Canada or New Zealand for some reason. biggrin.gif

#48 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Oh. I am going to Ireland at Easter, thanks to my lovely new nothern ireland friend buddies biggrin.gif

They say "shaur" for shower - im still like huh.gif and then laugh.gif at that....eveery friggin time.

Also, they do that "sity'aishin" (situation) thing....i love it!

#49 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

I'm going to Barcelona with my family in April, my dad even said he'd take us to a Barca game! biggrin.gif

So I won't be going snowboarding but still, it will be good!

#50 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

i may be heading somewhere exotic with international student volunteers if i get my act together to find the money for the deposite and accept! smile.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#51 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

I just discovered the trip planner on Weather Underground. I entered the day I arrive in Kyiv (Dec 27th) and the day I leave (Jan 6th) and it gives me information about the likely weather based on weather from past years on those precise dates:

27th December 2006 to January 6th 2007 for Kyiv, Ukraine:

Temperature
The Average High Temperature is 0 C with a historical range of -12 C to 6 C
The Average Low Temperature is -4 C with a historical range of -15 C to 3 C
There is a 0% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90F).
(0 days out of 87 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 0% chance of a Warm Day (temperature over 60F).
(0 days out of 87 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 67% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32F).
(58 days out of 87 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 8

Cloud Cover
Average Cloud Cover is cloudy
There is a 87% chance of a Cloudy Day.
(72 days out of 83 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 10

Wind
The Average Wind is 13 km/h with a historical range of 0 km/h to 35 km/h
There is a 17% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph).
(15 days out of 87 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 2

Humidity
The Average High Dew Point is -1 C with a historical range of -16 C to 6 C
The Average Low Dew Point is -5 C with a historical range of -20 C to 3 C

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airpor...eq_statename=NA

#52 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I have three photo albums from Ukraine:

1: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069...8c5&id=61001455

2: http://ed.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20695...94d&id=61001455

3: http://ed.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20695...3ea&id=61001455

Had a great time. Bit of a culture shock; was warmer than usual.

#53 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:39 AM

Off to Amsterdam again next weekend from Thursday to Sunday! Woo! Should be fun! Party time! I may take my camera along with me and snap a few photos.

#54 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

I'm off to Tossa de Merre in June smile.gif

#55 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

I'm going to my grandpa's house in Spain for a week in June. It's near a town called Torrevieja, which is south of Alicante. It's very peaceful and pretty, so we'll get to spend a week eating ice lollies and sunbathing.

#56 Plug in Baby

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, Football, Music, Drawing, Technology

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

We're going to Cyprus in August. Should be good but I hope it isn't too hot!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

#57 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

I went to Elgin for me holidays.

Go me.

#58 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

x
@

#59 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

It is quite nice. Its a really nice town/city. Just ....a bit to East for my liking. tongue.gif I prefer the Black Isle and anywhere kind of north west of that. wink.gif

#60 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Apr 7 2007, 01:44 PM) View Post
It is quite nice. Its a really nice town/city. Just ....a bit to East for my liking. tongue.gif I prefer the Black Isle and anywhere kind of north west of that. wink.gif

The Black Isle's ok; I live across the water from it biggrin.gif.
My brother went camping last night, my cousins are up from Hertford-shire and have rented a house with a 6 acre ohmy.gif garden, so they slept out there. I stayed in the house, drinking wine with my Aunty Diane and getting quite merry! =D
In July I'm going down to stay with them, and my uncle's got me some work experience at the BBC biggrin.gif
Not the same as going abroad though...
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users