Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2000 Q9 - HSN forum

2000 Q9

3 replies to this topic

#1 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

Right there's a ciruit with two resistors in parallel with an ammeter on one branch and a switch(S) on the other and then (not in parallel now) there's another resistor with a voltmeter over it.

THe question is

"in the following circuit, the supply has negligible internal resistance

switch S is now closed.

Which row in the table shows the effect on the ammeter and voltmeter readings?"

Sorry i can't use a diagram and can't explain it very well, what happens to the voltmeter and ammeter readings and why?

#2 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

if i have drawn it correctly.. which i probably havent ... i would say the ammeter reading will decrease as current splits up in parallel ( i.e is shared) and then for the voltage.. V= IR since I has decreased so will V

is that right unsure.gif ?

#3 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

The answers say the ammeter reading decreases and the voltmeter increases. I dont understand that blink.gif
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#4 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

I assume closing the switch adds the other resistor in parallel. In effect this would decrease the resistance. Therefore the overall value of I=V/R would effectively increase. The voltmeter reading would decrease as V=IR would be smaller. I dont understand how he answer is the other way around, any way you could post the diagram?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users