Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
STV - HSN forum

STV

7 replies to this topic

#1 princess

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi, Just wondered if anyone has some decent notes on the advantages and disadvantages of STV. I have some but they are extremely brief and not well explained, they would never get a decent mark in an essay. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you! smile.gif

#2 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

All i really have on STV is that it is used in Malta and the Irish Republic. an advanatge of it is that it gives the voter what they want and a disadvantage is that it is complex, hard to understand.
Grrrrrr!!

#3 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

We definately wont get an essay just on STV, it'll probably be in the context of:

Proportional Represention is an improved method of voting. Discuss, with reference to 2 PR systems.

You're most likely to discuss STV with AMS. An advantage of STV is that is produces proportion results. This can be seen in the leading political party in the Rep of Ireland - Fianna Fail- who has received on average 45% of the electoral vote and 48% of the seats. There is only a mere difference of 3% in the seats and votes gained.

Disadvantage of STV is that it is a very complex system, and If i'm write i think there were complications in the rep or ireland when all the computer systems shut down.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#4 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

Another disadvantage of STV is that the multi-member constituencies break the link between constituents and representatives. However, you could also make this an advantage by saying that it represents a wider range of voters.

Also the quota system is quite complicated which means it can take a while for a result to be confirmed.

Some advantages are that:
-there is no need for tactical voting.
-voters get to rank candidates in order of preference. They can vote for just on or can rank all candidates.
-The Liberal Democrats are in favour of STV.

Remeber that STV is going to be introduced for local council elections in Scotland. I think!

The Electoral Reform website is good for information on all voting systems.

#5 cc-ms

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

The Single Transferable Vote (STV) system, part of the whole proportional representation issue, is used in Irish Republic and Northern Ireland Assembly elections but is not part of the British electoral system which at a national level remains based on First-Past-The-Post.

STV is a complicated system.

Constituencies return a set number of ‘winners’. Usually this is in the region of 3 to 4.

A party for an election can put forward as many candidates as it likes for a constituency as long as it does not exceed the maximum set i.e. it can’t go above 4 for a constituency if this is the figure set.

Voters have as many votes as there are candidates and they place their votes in order of preference.

Voters can vote for candidates from other parties and they can decide their own order of preference.

Seats in a constituency are awarded in proportion to votes cast, with second, third and other preferences of the voters taken into account.

Voters have huge choice under this system. It can favour independent candidates.

STV encourages parties to select a socially varied group of candidates in order to maximise voter preference.

STV favours small parties and independents. Therefore the system produces governments with no overall majorities which can be unstable. STV can create coalition governments with a dominant party dependent on smaller parties for its survival.

Taken from http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/singl...rable_vote1.htm
great little site smile.gif

#6 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:43 PM

Sorry! STV is actually going to be used for Local Government elections not local council.

#7 phunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(BM89 @ May 14 2006, 09:43 PM) View Post

Sorry! STV is actually going to be used for Local Government elections not local council.

Local Government means localcouncils

#8 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(BM89 @ May 14 2006, 09:26 PM) View Post

Some advantages are that:

-The Liberal Democrats are in favour of STV.

I don't know if I'd write that in an exam if I were you. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users