Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advice on selecting a text - HSN forum - Page 3

Advice on selecting a text

51 replies to this topic

#41 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:09 PM

Rather weird though blink.gif
What's your line on it?

#42 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

yeah it was eh. It was really depressing me on holiday so i didnt finish but i finished it wen i got back! biggrin.gif

#43 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:47 PM

I am doing Maya Angelous 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings' this year.

#44 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

THOUGH IT'S A COMMON CHOICE, I FOUND 'THE HOBBIT' A REALLY GOOD BOOK TO STUDY.

I FOCUSED ON BILBO'S CHARACTER AND HOW IT CHANGED THROUGHOUT THE BOOK.

#45 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(strosek911 @ Sep 16 2004, 06:44 PM)
THOUGH IT'S A COMMON CHOICE, I FOUND 'THE HOBBIT' A REALLY GOOD BOOK TO STUDY.

I FOCUSED ON BILBO'S CHARACTER AND HOW IT CHANGED THROUGHOUT THE BOOK.

View Post

Are you allowed to do that for higher?
Last year we were strictly FORBIDDEN from doing that book for higher as it was "Intermediate 2 level at best".
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#46 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

I did Jimmy Boyle - A sense of Freedom. It was a book i enjoyed and i basically couldn't be assed reading another one. However,

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

There's not really that many techniques etc in it. I basically passed the essay by the skin of ym teeth.

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#47 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:57 PM

[FONT=Courier][B]I am doing CIDER WITH ROSIE by laurie lee!!!!!! Its ok and my topic is based around the start of the novel key events in the authors life within the story and how he matures. Any 1 know anyfing surrounding this plz help me or if u know any gd websites plz.
[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

#48 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

yeh, I would recommend that book, not because I have done it myself, but 3 ppl in my class done it and all got really good passes with it

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#49 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:28 PM

Aha. I did 1984 by George Orwell for my personal study last year. It kind of ruined it for me analysing it so much but I did well in the essay.

#50 wee_lou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:52 PM

I'm doing Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier for my personal study this year it's really good and I'm finding lots to write about. My best advice for choosing a PSL is probably if u find a book try and get hold of some past papers and find a question that mite suit it to start u of for a title as this will give u a good idea of the level and depth u would b expected to go into. I hope this helps someone!!

Lou xxx laugh.gif

#51 JAZZA007

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

I did "Journey To the River Sea" by Eva Ibbotson tongue.gif for Int 2 and "Animal Farm" George Orwell this year for higher- great fantastic first time read laugh.gif , AND LOADS more notes and help on the internet too for Animal Farm I did Show how Napoleons abuse of power contributes to the deterioration of Animal Farm or something along those lines passed with a grade A first time (and get a tutor rather than stressing for just a NAB). Can anyone recommend more George Orwell books please RSVP ASAP.

#52 Pod~Tastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

i choose the book to kill a mockingbird by harper lee was easy to understand. Go for classics as its really hard to do a book that no-one has heard of or another option choose a couple of poems, maybe by the same author ? try to make it as easy as possible for yourself so you can get it out of the way and get on with other things, close reading etc.. cool.gif
.. follow your instincts, that's where true wisdom manifests itself

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users