Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How do you revise section 2? - HSN forum

How do you revise section 2?

11 replies to this topic

#1 dontcrytonight

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

Heeyy there well yeah i know computin is still a wee while away but im looking over section II of the papers and most of the things are problem solving (nothin really i can memorise lol) and i really struggle with it so how do u guys practise it? jus past papers?

xxx

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

problem solving is a skill that you have to develop. It is helped by understanding the course content though( as opposed to memorising it). So yes its only past papers

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

Knowing the content plus attempting past papers is the best approach. For the algorithms you have to know, try implementing them in your chosen langauge and this should help your understanding of them (and how to abstract to particular details). Going over your coursework assignment isnt a bad idea either as this is mostly problem solving as well. Dont worry too much as problem solving is a skill that is practised in most Highers

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

What i did was go over every resource i could get on each particular Topic, untill i fully understood it.

I would also go and memorise as much of the course as possible, alongside plain old past papers.

and whenever i was struggling to understand any area of the course i would get my teacher to explain it to me in as many ways as possible, with the help of Diagrams if possible.

Having something explained in Diagrams would help alot in every instance.

#5 dontcrytonight

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Cheers for the advicessss
our class generally avoids our teacher explainin much as he normally spraffssss sooo much and goes wayyy out of topic to stuff we have no idea what! and wastes sooo much time that i hardly actually learn things im meant to know, yeah i hardly learnt much this year in computin!! got 53% in my prelim and that was a B!!! i was well surprised there! apparently nearly all my class failed! and we have an extremely intelligent class.. seriously!!!
well algorithms and pseudocode is pretty tough and yeah i generally avoid it! lol (i think id better do some more of that then!)

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Sounds like my Teacher lol

#7 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(dontcrytonight @ May 13 2006, 10:19 PM) View Post

got 53% in my prelim and that was a B!!! i was well surprised there!

53% a B? :/ hmm are you sure? I thought it was..

45% - D
50% - C
60% - B
70% - A

Maybe your coursework took you up to 60%?

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

you are correct karen those are the normal cut offs. I guess what the teacher has done is make the grade boundries in relation to the kind of marks he was getting. Which i dont think is a good idea since people might get the wrong idea about what is expected to get certain grades

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 dontcrytonight

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

heyy yeah it was jus scrappin a B sumthin like that.... i think its jus cos not many people in my class actually passed soo the cut off marks were lowered. The second prelim i got 47% and that was a fail lol soo yeah probably its jus cos the first prelim was hard.

#10 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:10 AM

The book How to Pass Higher Computing would be a good investment. It has very detailed notes on the course and has many examples of questions to revise for section 2 of the exam. All units of the course are covered and at the end is a section devoted to helping you with the problem solving, it outlines what you need to do for certain kinds of questions and would be a great help for your revision of section 2 and 3 (as section 3 also is mostly problem solving).

If you have specific questions on any aspect of the course content, then post on here as both myself and Dave have done Higher Computing (though he would have done the old course, i did the new one that started last year) and study computer science at University (though I am sure there must be others). And 53% would be a C in the final exam, i disagree with your teachers grading as it is nowhere near the standard needed for a B. In the final exam you will need roughly 120/200 (including your coursework which is worth 60 marks) for a B. Good luck with your final exam though.

#11 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Yeah it's kind of unfair these prelims are supposed to be used for appeals if anything goes wrong in the actual exam and if it's not marked to the standards and boundaries like the SQA mark them then they it's less likely you'll get one? No classes in my school lowered pass marks due to bad performance in Higher Maths my whole class failed and they didn't change anything to make us at around D level pass.

#12 dontcrytonight

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

okaayyy then my skul is really weird cos the maths prelim marks was increased to 79% to get an A lol!! cos everyone did well...

im not too fussed about the prelim grades and i think i can do better hopefullyy....hmm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users