Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
HIGHER CLOSE READING 2K6 - HSN forum

HIGHER CLOSE READING 2K6

30 replies to this topic

#1 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

Just got back from school just now. How did everyone find the close reading paper. The 6 mark question seemed a bit of a gift at first, but now i think i messed it up.

Anybody have a link where i can find the correct anwers? Or will i need to wait for a while to find out.

Seemed to do bett er than I thought, but when August comes I will know for sure.

#2 gm-school

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

That close reading paper was a gift biggrin.gif Most of the questions were understanding which is the only question I am good at biggrin.gif
My higher revision notes:
http://www.gm-school.com/Higher/

#3 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

i think i may have messed up the 6 marker but i liked the analysis questions as i thought word choice was okay.

#4 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Just got back from school just now. How did everyone find the close reading paper. The 6 mark question seemed a bit of a gift at first, but now i think i messed it up.

Anybody have a link where i can find the correct anwers? Or will i need to wait for a while to find out.

Seemed to do bett er than I thought, but when August comes I will know for sure.

couldnt agree more

#5 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

The format was a gift.

The six marker was a beauty. Dead easy as long as you keep a clear mind about what they'll want. General about the specifics that the writer did, and just say what the writer said... but in less space. Easy.

I love this format because there is always a point to each paragraph. They ask many questions about what the point was, and how it was made. That is easy to identify. With novels and such things, there is no point to each paragraph really. There's just stuff that takes many more words to explain.

I'm well chuffed with this. Must've got an A. Much better than my fail last year... although I gave up after the first question last year. I was completely overwhelmed by the size of the exam. This time I was underwhlemed by the limited time I had.

Interesting to say the least.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#6 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

I was amazed at how easy I found it compared to past papers I'd done! The last question was really good, too, how you only had to look at a section from each passage for 4 marks instead of the whole thing for 6. A pleasant surprise but I think it'll be reflected in higher pass marks!

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

I hope they don't put the pass marks up too much since all you found it easy. Whats the biggest jump you can expect?
The lots of U questions were good but I ended up having to do the 2nd passage in half an hour so it's not very good. Then for the last question said I prefered the 2nd passage becuase I saw more things I could write about it the 2 minutes I had, I actually prefered passage 1 but couldn't pinpoint why quick enough.

#8 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

That was exactly my situation actually. Exactly.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#9 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

The 6 marker was so easy, thats 6% of my grade sorted at least smile.gif

#10 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ May 12 2006, 03:19 PM) View Post

The 6 marker was so easy, thats 6% of my grade sorted at least smile.gif

Im with you on that it was unusally easy, most of the paper was which makes me feel like I misread it or something!
Grrrrrr!!

#11 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

the words gift and easiest paper since 1999 spring to mind

critical essay paper was bull though
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#12 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

no idea where i can get the answers or answer key? suppose it is a bit early.

#13 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

yeah, i felt a bit weird wen i came out coz ur not meant 2 find higher english easy, rite? n duz tht mean pass mark is guna b crazily high? sad.gif

#14 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(eyecandy @ May 12 2006, 08:48 PM) View Post

yeah, i felt a bit weird wen i came out coz ur not meant 2 find higher english easy, rite? n duz tht mean pass mark is guna b crazily high? sad.gif

The pass mark can't be significantly higher as they still have to take into consideration that people generally find the essays the difficult part - regardless if good questions come up or not. But yeah i think they will raise the pass mark, i can't see it exceeding 68/69 though for an A.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#15 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

I think I would have preferred a difficult paper. I was counting on those low pass marks.
How many pages did everyone write? I did 6 sides.

#16 mt94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(frazboy @ May 12 2006, 03:38 PM) View Post

no idea where i can get the answers or answer key? suppose it is a bit early.

The official SQA marking scheme won't be available online until September or October.

#17 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ May 12 2006, 09:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(eyecandy @ May 12 2006, 08:48 PM) View Post

The pass mark can't be significantly higher as they still have to take into consideration that people generally find the essays the difficult part - regardless if good questions come up or not. But yeah i think they will raise the pass mark, i can't see it exceeding 68/69 though for an A.

sad.gif right... so lemme see, say about 40 outta 50 for close reading and atleast 15 for each essay... hmmm... not looking forward to august unsure.gif xxx

#18 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

I was adding up what I thought I got on the question paper today. I'd guess somewhere like 30-37, although doing that on the 2005 paper I guessed 32-38 (I had what I'd written in front of me) and got a 40. But that was becuase I kept underestimating the analysis questions and there aren't many analysis questions to underestimate. Wish I did last years paper.

#19 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 13 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post

I was adding up what I thought I got on the question paper today. I'd guess somewhere like 30-37, although doing that on the 2005 paper I guessed 32-38 (I had what I'd written in front of me) and got a 40. But that was becuase I kept underestimating the analysis questions and there aren't many analysis questions to underestimate. Wish I did last years paper.

i usually add up what i think i got and give myself the minimal marks so i get a surprise, but adding up the english close reading i think i could have dropped somewhere in the region of 15 - 20 marks, so i hope im wrong!

#20 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

I think it could go 75~ for an A, since usually its 70% for one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users