It's over :D:D

41 replies to this topic

Poll: What you think you got? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What grade you think you got?

1. A (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

2. B (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. C (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

4. D (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. Fail (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

i chose passage one as it shows that the problem of obesity is decreasing and backs it up with facts quote etc.

yeah im just glad its over and now just wanna get the other 4 over with!

#22 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

I dunno I think I have either done really well or really badly!

#23 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'm just glad it is over- the one I had been dreading the most!!

#24 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

I chose passage two because the anacdote at the beginning was a good way of catching the attention of the reader. Also, I felt that the tone of the passage was a lot more passionate than the first.

BTW how many people here picked a passage and then tried to make out the other passage was bad? Aparently that is teh most common mistake with that question.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#25 dontcrytonight

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

heyy im a newbie! Lol well yeah sat english thought it was really tough, in the CW nothin gd came up grhhhhhhh, and close readin no link no context questions!?! basically wat i revised never came up! wat a waste of a year of english when i jus threw it all away in 3 hours... doh...
close readin i chose passage one as bein better hmm dont know why i chose it lol! ahh welll....

#26 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

According to my teacher, you could have written about linkage in the question that you could use any techniques to answer.
Grrrrrr!!

#27 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 13 2006, 09:21 AM) View Post

I chose passage two because the anacdote at the beginning was a good way of catching the attention of the reader. Also, I felt that the tone of the passage was a lot more passionate than the first.

BTW how many people here picked a passage and then tried to make out the other passage was bad? Aparently that is teh most common mistake with that question.

Is calling "having the government stick its nose too far" "a bit of a rude tone" doing that?
I wouldn't usually but I was pressed for time. I did say something about the tone of the other passage at the end. too.

#28 blondie191

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(AM4R @ May 12 2006, 12:59 PM) View Post

Emm close reading was fine. I had to make up a whole new essay for Sunset Song and Visitng Hour was fine.

Visiting hour?

Which question did u do for that?

I really wanted to do visiting hour but ended up doing my last duchess instead sad.gif
it wasnt so good but i did really well on my hamlet essay.
Done done done!

#29 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 13 2006, 06:16 PM) View Post

Is calling "having the government stick its nose too far" "a bit of a rude tone" doing that?
I wouldn't usually but I was pressed for time. I did say something about the tone of the other passage at the end. too.

yeah i did something like that, i said i diagreed with some of the other passage. i didnt know you couldnt do that! oh well 2 marks down. sad.gif

#30 Pyrefly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

I came out of the exam thinking that the close reading was extremely simple...(I have done like all the past pepers back to 1990ish....ya I know! sad...one of the teachers at my school called me sad too tongue.gif)

but the more I hear about people finding it simple the more I wonder if it really was that simple..maybe I found it relativly easy...but everyone else thought it was even easier (ya you can tell i got a great mark for the Critical essays ;p)

I'm just aiming to pass though..not out for a B or anything smart like that.

Did anyone chose Q8 for The Cone-Gatherers? I didn't like the essay questions very much so i tryed to sqeeze it into Duror feeling a sence of loss at the deer drive since he hadn't killed his wife.
Think it fits?

#31 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

I think you should be careful what you say in case you begin to panick some people on here.

For they record, you are required to criticise the other passage, as it is a personal response! You can more or less say that one of the passages was crap (obviously in more formal language, of course smile.gif ) as long as you justify your own opinion.

For my prelim the last question was a 6 marker where you had to choose your preferred passage, and I heavily criticised one of the passages and still got 6/6.

So for all you who did the same, no worries biggrin.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#32 Lucia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:amateur genealogist/family historian

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

I found the close reading relatively easy but still don't think I've done so well. I'm always a bit suspicious when things seem too easy. I actually found it easier than the Prelim I did.

The essay questions were really good for me. I ended up writing about Seamus Heaney poem and I did Q3 for "The Crucible". I ran out of time though so I think I mucked up the first essay and I finished the second one in a rush. I think I also forgot to put the question number in the margin for the second essay, hope that doesn't cost me.

The invigilator gave me about five minutes extra time which was nice of him laugh.gif

I'm just hoping to get better than the C I got in the prelim.

So glad it's over! English is one of my weak subjects.

#33 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

i did 2 plans on my first 2 pages and i dunno if i was supposed to cross them out or not or if they are fine? Anyone know?
Thanks

#34 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ May 14 2006, 02:39 PM) View Post

For they record, you are required to criticise the other passage, as it is a personal response! You can more or less say that one of the passages was crap (obviously in more formal language, of course smile.gif ) as long as you justify your own opinion.

*sigh of relief*

They can hardly expect you to be neutral if you're choosing one over the other, anyway!

#35 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(ScotlandGirl @ May 14 2006, 04:29 PM) View Post

*sigh of relief*

They can hardly expect you to be neutral if you're choosing one over the other, anyway!

yeah i was pretty worried too!
smile.gif

#36 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

For the writing notes, it says you should scrub out working or w/e (I did it writing quotes quickly before I forgot 'em), but im sure they will notice its working and skip by it

#37 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(celticfcz @ May 14 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post

QUOTE(ScotlandGirl @ May 14 2006, 04:29 PM) View Post

*sigh of relief*

yeah i was pretty worried too!
smile.gif

ditto

#38 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(dontcrytonight @ May 13 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

heyy im a newbie! Lol well yeah sat english thought it was really tough, in the CW nothin gd came up grhhhhhhh, and close readin no link no context questions!?! basically wat i revised never came up! wat a waste of a year of english when i jus threw it all away in 3 hours... doh...
close readin i chose passage one as bein better hmm dont know why i chose it lol! ahh welll....

To be honest, it was an utter waste of a year if all you did was learn up those types of questions. Last year for me was worse. I learnt nothing.

Papers with those questions only give a handful of marks for them. They're the last questions you should study, since they don't come up half as frequently as anything else.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#39 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ May 14 2006, 05:23 PM) View Post

For the writing notes, it says you should scrub out working or w/e (I did it writing quotes quickly before I forgot 'em), but im sure they will notice its working and skip by it

I hope so, at the top of both pages i clearly wrote "PLAN" and underlined it.

#40 grant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

was Q4 about the title, is fo i did that. "sunset of a way of life" and all that bull. can forget it now though! biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users