It's over :D:D

41 replies to this topic

Poll: What you think you got? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What grade you think you got?

1. A (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

2. B (33 votes [47.14%])

Percentage of vote: 47.14%

3. C (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

4. D (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. Fail (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hey, how did everyone find it?

I thought the close reading was really pretty straight forward. I had to do a bit of altering for the essays I had prepared, but all seems well. Wasn't much harder or easier than I expected

BUT NOO MORE ENGLISH

biggrin.gif

#2 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:59 AM

Emm close reading was fine. I had to make up a whole new essay for Sunset Song and Visitng Hour was fine.
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#3 Adam

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ May 12 2006, 12:48 PM) View Post

Hey, how did everyone find it?
I had to do a bit of altering for the essays I had prepared, but all seems well.

Same here.

I'm glad it's over.

#4 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

im so happy thats finally done. I wrote 4 and a half pages for both essays and i hope that is sufficient.
The close reading was okay may have mucked up one or two questions but overall not bad.
There were a few people who were quite upset that they didnt manage to finish the papers or that one essay was great and the other rubbish but i didnt have those problems.

#5 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

I had the two best questions I could have got for writing. Which I am hugely happy with although I got the times muddled up and though we finished 10 minutes later than we did so got a bit of a fright when the halfway mark was called out. So the second was wasn't the greatest.

The close reading was quite hard timing wise. I did the second passage in half an hour plus the last question(s), which was definately a bit wierd.

#6 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

I found the close reading not to bad, just the timing that some times gets me including today. Critical essay paper had very good question for the literature I was studying so pretty chuffed, although with english you never can judge.

I wrote 4 and a half pages for both essays

That was how much I wrote for the Sunset Song Essay and about 5 pages for the sonnet 29

Did anyone else do Question 4 for Sunset Song

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

I only wrote 4 pages for my first one, then 2 and half for the second. Mine were much longer than usual too.

#8 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

The close reading was simple. The essay questions were shoite in my humble opinion... Blatantly aimed at certain literature - especially in the prose fiction section.

Ended up "shoe-horning" an essay for Death of a Salesman into Q4 and an easy one for an Orwell essay i just learned last week - sheer luck, because I didn't at all fancy any of the poetry or prose fiction sections...

#9 crazy4dunst

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:55 PM

Yep overall it was ok but thats as far as it goes! passage 2 confused me Lol and as for the essay questions - Dont start Lol

#10 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:31 PM

Bugger! I didn't have time to write: 'Has anyone ever told you how beautiful your eyes look in the moonlight?' I seriously meant to write that if I messed up anything.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#11 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

I found it okay. The essay questions could have been better, but I had a huge bank of knoweldege on many texts, which made it easier. My classmates who only learned 2 or 3 texts found it very difficult.

The close reading was a good paper, but I didn't like the way the split up the last 5 marks into two questiosn. I'm used to it being on ebig 5 marker on both passages.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#12 Gill

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

i thought it went pretty well, couple of questions in the close reading were slightly tricky but the essay questions worked out so well for me

we went to hand in our books at english at the end and the english teachers were basically going on about how the questions had worked out so well for us, so I'm feeling pretty confident, just hope the rest of the exams go like this!

#13 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

I think ive a really good chance of an A but time will tell. I wont vote in the poll since theres no option for A/B cus i could get either.

#14 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Im not hoping for much better than a C from this cause im realy no good at english but heres hoping for a B or shock shock horror horror an A would be a BIG shock!!
Grrrrrr!!

#15 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

I think it went pretty well overall smile.gif I might have manipulated one of the essay questions a bit but hey tongue.gif

I'm hoping for an A, but you can never tell with English.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#16 Klass Clown

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Lods... Im pretty much interested by everything but my main hobbies are:<br />-Art, of course, creating and observing.<br />-Music (I tend to be flexible when it comes to genres but Im a massive hip-hop fan)<br />-Sadly, politics (always taken an interest)<br />-And since studying Higher History Ive become very interested and fascinated by Nazi Germany (and all those crazy wee Neo-Nazi cults)<br />-Ive resently developed a craze for chuck taylors as well.<br /><br />Well thats basicaly it, obviously Im in to movies and reading and stuff like that but I presume most people are. (Oh, and the internet but most people on here probably are - lol... yeah that was kinda rubbish.)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I thought overall it was pretty easy. no real challenges in the close reading and the essay questions were perfect for me. well actualy a symbolism q in prose would have been a gift but, he ho. smile.gif
All or Nothing.

#17 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

close readin was gd, pretty simple n most of the questions were understanding - not so much analysis.. ie the 6marker!! was well impressed lol!

oh, n 4 the record, brad pitt is not overweight. he's perfect.

#18 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

Who was the other guy that was obese? Tom cruise or something?

#19 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

russell crowe, i grant tht.
but i was shocked with the insult towards my brad... sad.gif

#20 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

What a topic! Obesity! What passage did everybody choose for the final question? I choose passage 2 because it was more personal and written with an informal tone!
So glad its over though!!!! tongue.gif
Grrrrrr!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users