Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Fith Year Leavers? - HSN forum

Fith Year Leavers?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:47 AM

Is ther anyone else leaving school this year?
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

I left in fifth year last year. tongue.gif

#3 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

oh im not th eonly one whoes left in 5th year...I feel like a drop out...
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#4 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

I left in 5th year with my Highers and got into St Andrews Uni doing Computer Science with French. Dont feel bad about being a "drop out", for some people 6th year is either a waste of time or not really for them. I left because 1st year Uni offered a better progression route and it has worked out superbly, would do it all over again. A lot of the things I have covered arent touched in school even at Advanced Higher level so I feel like I have made a better progression.

#5 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

i wish i had left after 5th year. 6th year totally wasn't all it was cracked up to be
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

i dont know i wasnt really ready in my head to go to uni at the end of my highers. Maybe i was i guess but i didnt feel it at the time. The AH maths i did was of great help this year anyway so apart from the industrial action messing up my exemptions its worked out ok for me

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I don't think I am ready for uni this year. As much as I don't want to stay one I think know i will have to.

#8 bigyun

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:19 PM

every1 take my word for it.

If you get the grades in 5th year and get the unconditionals get the hell outta 6th year and get a full time job an save up for nights out at uni,

#9 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Don't know about that. Wouldn't doing advanced highers and pissing around be funner tongue.gif

#10 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Am I the only one to spot the spelling mistake in the title, "Fith Year Leavers?"...? O.o tongue.gif

#11 bigyun

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:51 PM

SORRY
did u just say doing advanced highers wud be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

#12 libby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

lol!
I'm leaving after 5th year too, got a deferred conditional uni place and taking a gap year.
Off to Ghana this autumn with Raleigh International, and hopefully going to South America next spring...more fun than advanced highers I'm thinking... biggrin.gif

#13 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

I wanted to leave at the end of 5th year because I had my grades and most of my friends left to go to college at that time. I'm really glad I did stay on. I got to know my old mates again and for that alone, 6th year was worth it.

I think for a lot of people uni at the end of 5th year would be a good idea. I know I've changed so much in this past year. Getting a job and going to uni has definitely given me a lot more self-confidence! My old Biology teacher always said that in the year after school we'd change so much. I never believed him then but it's true!

#14 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

I stayed on for a 6th year and I'm glad that I did. It helped me grow up a bit. There was no way I would have been ready at the end of fifth year. 6th year helped me make new friends, improve my confidence a bit and all that.

Saying that, even when I did go to uni, I don't think I was really ready for it. Maybe it was because I was ill all the time, I don't know. I think I might be a bit better prepared this time round, though.

#15 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

I left at the end of 5th year and I'm now at the end of first year of Uni, but i was dying to leave school and do something different
a lot of people really enjoy 6th year but I didn't see the point when I could just go to uni with the grades i had already and my school didn't do the AHs I would have wanted to do either.

Anyway I'm really glad I did it, for lots of reasons biggrin.gif

#16 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 22 2006, 08:37 PM) View Post

I left at the end of 5th year and I'm now at the end of first year of Uni, but i was dying to leave school and do something different
a lot of people really enjoy 6th year but I didn't see the point when I could just go to uni with the grades i had already and my school didn't do the AHs I would have wanted to do either.

did you wait until after you got your results before you applied for uni...or before?

#17 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

It was before I got my results but the mixture of my teachers predicted grades and some of my prelim results I could kinda tell what they would be.

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

I wanted to leave at the end of Fith year, but couldnt.

Didnt sit enough highers, the important one being Maths.

Although i'm glad i stayed on, as i wouldnt be heading off to Strathclyde, would either be Glasgow or Abertay Unis.

#19 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

Firstly, I'm pretty dim so there was no way I could leave after 5th year with my higher results.

And even if I did have the grades I wouldnt have gone anywhere - wouldnt know where to go. Still dont know where to go unsure.gif

Also, since my sisters both stayed on right through to the end of 6th year the thought of leaving never crossed my mind!

#20 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 22 2006, 08:43 PM) View Post

QUOTE(dondon @ May 22 2006, 08:37 PM) View Post

did you wait until after you got your results before you applied for uni...or before?

I applied on the basis of my predictded grades. Then the prelims give you a fair indication of how you will do in the finals. I m also at the end of first year uni and looking back I am glad I did it. Dont know bout u dondon but its sure as hell going to be wierd being in second year and being the same age as the first years laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users