Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Assisi - HSN forum

Assisi

12 replies to this topic

#1 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

Right, Could someone please tell me what the second paragraph in Assisi actually means?

I dont understand what message MacCaig is trying to get across here. I have looked at the HSN notes but they dont really help me much.

Please help ASAP because this is mean't to be one of my texts for friday!

Thanks!
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#2 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

The 2nd stanza shows the writer's true feelings towards the church - the explanation, the cleverness and the goodness of God are all mentioned in the stanza but the poet says he understands only the "explanation" and the "cleverness" - refusing to acknowledge the goodness of God, because how could he let the dwarf be ignored?

I'm sorry, I just read that over and it doesn't make a lot of sense...! I think the stanza just confirms the writer's attitude that he is angry with the church and God.

#3 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Scotlandgirl!. So basically he isnt happy with God or the church for letting the dwarf so unnoticed? He is just putting across his feeling here? What would be a good quote to show this?

Thanks smile.gif

#4 Gill

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

our teacher also mentioned something to us about how when it talks about how the priest 'explained how clever it was of Giotto' the clever is how the church still has all the power and all the say as instead of helping the illiterate to read, they just show them what they want them to see and so when the poet understand the 'cleverness' this cleverness is that the poet is able to see what the church is doing

it's a bit confusing but in the end it was quite good which you could add on to what's already been said

#5 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

ah right biggrin.gif I understand alot more! Thanks!

#6 Cat_1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(AM4R @ May 10 2006, 04:25 PM) View Post

ah right biggrin.gif I understand alot more! Thanks!

also theres a very caustic tone! in 'cleverness' hes being really bitter and also highlighting that he isnt as ignorant as the preists think the tourists are (a la 'illiterate')

#7 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

so the priest is also being cynical towards God and the tourists?

#8 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

anyone?

#9 alex

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

can anyone help me i need more metaphors/similies/alliterations for this before tomorrow.

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the HSN English notes have something on Assisi, or is it the sample essays.

#11 alex

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

yeh they have some sample essays

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:28 PM

Sorry, I have been away on holiday for a while and will be away again next week. If you really need advice on assisi then email me and I'll send you my notes as I did it at standard grade and my bf did it at Higher.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#13 alex

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

thanks, but i have handed it in now got 14 out of 22 at int 2 so on my way to a b, im quite disapointed with that grade, but teacher is realy happy as i was on of the few who passed and it is my first essay for her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users