Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Heuristics - HSN forum

Heuristics

6 replies to this topic

#1 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

Could anyone give me a definition of heuristics please ??
My teacher has told us not to refer to them as 'rules of thumb', but all of my revision books call them that.
Thankyou !!
*~* Pam xxx *~*
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#2 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

According to Wikipedia, a heuristic is a technique (algorithm) used to solve a particular problem without caring if the solution it gives is correct or not, but which usually produces good results! ohmy.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#3 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

Thankyou biggrin.gif That will do me, as long as I have something to write if the question comes up !!
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

Heuristics in the context used in Higher Computing is to do with Anti-virus measures.

Heuristics is examining code for virus like behaviour. This allows anti-virus programmes to detect unknown viruses

For example, AVG has Hueristics algorithms, what it does is looks through the code to find code with virus like tactics so to speak.

my Higher notes from last year say this

QUOTE(Higher Computing Revision Materials @ St Thomas Aquinas Secondary Computing Department)

Technique of approaching a problem through past knowledge

The technique is used to find unknown viruses that have not yet been identified by their signatures by looking for characteristics in files that have previously been associated with a known virus

Heuristics can also detect a virus that has disguised its signature, by recognising a particular characteristic of the virus behaviour

Heuristic techniques work on the probabilities of a file being infected by weighing up the file behaviour

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

so to expand on coca its an algorithm which me know isnt perfect basically because no such thing exists. Its like a best fit i guess. Say for a travelling salesman problem or anti virus

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

thanx very much everyone ! biggrin.gif smile.gif

#7 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:17 PM

Some heuristics for antivirus programs:

If a program triggers a certain behaviour only on a certain date or time, flag it as a potential virus (like a DDoS worm)

If a program sends data to randomized IP addresses, flag it also as a potential virus

Some AV programs allow you to set the heuristics level, which changes the number of rules a program has to conform to in order to be flagged as a virus smile.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users