Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Edinburgh Accommodation - HSN forum

Edinburgh Accommodation

33 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Hi, I'm hoping to go to Edinbugh as of sept 2006. Anyone else going and does anyone got any advice on the best undergraduate flats?

Tahnks

Ian

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

I'd go with Darroch Court for accomodation if I were you. It is a bit more expensive but you don't have to pay for laundry because each flat has its own washing machine. It is more modern than where I'm staying (South Clerk Street).
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

I need to choose between Edinburgh and St Andrews. It's really tough. Either one would be fun... although the physics dept at edinburgh seemed more friendly. Which are the best flats in Edinburgh? Catered and all that.

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

Pollock Halls is the catered accommodation. Pollock is divided into seperate houses. Chancellor's Court is one of the houses and some light heartedly refer to it as "Chancellor's Palace". One of my flat mates is doing Physics here and seems to be enjoying it. He also goes out with the Physics society every Tuesday.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

It says on the accomodation website at Edinburgh that you have £250 not sure what for. Is this a deposit i take it?

#6 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

Most probably.

#7 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations on the best undergraduate flats at Edinburgh Uni?

Thanks

Ian

#8 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'm going to Edinburgh. I think I'll be going for catered accommodation so Pollock Halls for me. I can't be bothered cooking for myself and bringing my own crockery and utensils and stuff. Also they are a good distance from both George Square and The King's Buildings. They're a bit (grand tongue.gif) more expensive though.

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

You don't get much choice in what you eat at Pollock Halls though.

#10 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

That's fine... if I don't feel like eating what's on the menu I'll go and eat out. I really don't think anything I cook myself would be much better anyway! Anyway, it's only for the first year, I could be out of Pollock Halls after that. I want an easy non-worry first year.

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

I'm no master chef (read as I couldn't cook anything before I came to uni) and I've been self catered for the year. However, I'm glad that's what I've done. At Pollock Halls you have to eat at certain times, whereas here I can grab something out of the fridge/out of the freezer/use the oven/use the hob any time. And of course I have the option of eating out whenever I want too.
Pasta is easy enough to cook. Throw some water in a pan, boil it, add the pasta, wait a few minutes. You can shove pizza, chips, burgers, potatoes or whatever in the oven. I often stick potatoes in the microwave as well. You can buy ready made stir fry easy enough, and all you have to do is stick it in a pan to cook. Frying anything is pretty simple, and there's nothing easier than heating up some soup in a pan. If you're sure about staying at Pollock however, then by all means go for it.

#12 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 2 2006, 08:55 PM) View Post
I'm no master chef and I've been self catered for the year. However, I'm glad that's what I've done. At Pollock Halls you have to eat at certain times, whereas here I can grab something out of the fridge/out of the freezer/use the oven/use the hob any time. And of course I have the option of eating out whenever I want too.
Pasta is easy enough to cook. Throw some water in a pan, boil it, add the pasta, wait a few minutes. You can shove pizza, chips, burgers, potatoes or whatever in the oven. I often stick potatoes in the microwave as well. You can buy ready made stir fry easy enough, and all you have to do is stick it in a pan to cook. Frying anything is pretty simple, and there's nothing easier than heating up some soup in a pan. If you're sure about staying at Pollock however, then by all means go for it.

Also, Oscars is like 50 yards down the road! laugh.gif
Papa John's on the other hand, well you can just shout down at them what your order is. tongue.gif

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

They're pretty dear though so I don't go there much. I think I've only had a pizza from Papa John's the once actually, nice though. The take away next door, K2, is a good shout for a pizza or some chips, or a kebab, after a night on the bevvy.

#14 Jill1405

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

hey i'm going to edinburgh uni and i have opted for catered halls, just so my parents know i will eat something at least half decent and not give myself slmonella etc in my first week cos i'm an awful chef

#15 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hehe. Well, another fact is that Pollock is a good distance from both the King's Buildings and George Square. Not that I don't mind walking but I'd like a shorter walk in case I'm late, etc.

Is it possible to move from catered to self-catered if there is space later on? What happens after year 1?

#16 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Pollock is about a 10 minute walk from George Square and 25-30 minutes walk to Kings Buildings.

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Vixus @ May 3 2006, 04:35 PM) View Post

Is it possible to move from catered to self-catered if there is space later on? What happens after year 1?

I don't know if you could move from catered to self-catered. After first year you could apply for flats rented out by the uni, or from another owner. Flats for first years are for first years only though, so you couldn't stay in the same flat in second year as you did in first year. Where I stay (SCS) is a 6 min walk from GS and a 35 min walk from KB. As Scott said; 30 min walk to KB from Pollock and 10 min or so to GS. 40 min walk from KB to GS.

#18 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

Whatever you do, don't go for New ARthur Place (I stay there) or Robertson's Close.

Darroch court, Hermits Croft and Warrender park are the nicest in my opinion.

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

The only other two first year self-catering residences where I've physically been in someone's flat are Darroch Court and Warrender Park, and I'd agree that they're pretty nice. Nicer than South Clerk Street anyway!

#20 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well, my parents have discussed me into considering a self-catering accommodation. I would like to know-- are we allowed to keep a small fridge in our rooms? Also, is it harder to make friends if you're staying in a flat than if you're staying in a catered hall?

Probably Darroch Court. Does anyone have any pictures of the interiors? I can go visit the outsides on a trip to Edinburgh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users