Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
1 = 2 Proved - HSN forum - Page 3

1 = 2 Proved

54 replies to this topic

#41 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(thegift_guitar @ May 9 2006, 04:12 PM) View Post

Ok please, for once and for all, ENLIGHTEN US!

To be quite honest I can't remember the exact explanation! blush.gif !!

We were shown this at uni but have since forgotten what the lecturer said. I've come across this 'proof' a few times since and its driven me nuts trying to figure it out each time!

All I remember is that it is to do with differentiating an infinite series, 'x lots of x', which is dodgy unless it converges.

Apologies that this is not really an adequate explanation but at least I am now not alone in being driven nuts! biggrin.gif

P.S. Some of you here are at uni aren't you? Maybe you could ask one of your lecturers?

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#42 thegift_guitar

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

yay........ dry.gif

#43 andymckenzie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

I've got a far simpler one:

a=b

multiply both sides by a:

a2 = ab

then add a2 - 2ab to both sides:

a2 + a2 - 2ab = ab + a2 - 2ab

This can be simplified to:

2(a2 - ab) = a2 - ab

Now divide by a2 - ab to get:

2 = 1

#44 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

There's a flaw in your working. You are implying that a=b in the first line. If that was the case, wouldn't it be logical that a=a? Thus your working for the rest doesn't work out.

#45 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

why would you jus randomly add a2 - 2ab though unsure.gif

#46 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

If you look at the second line, the expression equals zero when you rearrange to get a²-ab. That's the only reason I can think of, doesn't seem right though. But I still think the expression is wrong as a cannot be equal to b unless b is the same value as a, which'd make it a=a. That completely contradicts what he's trying to say...

#47 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(andymckenzie @ May 17 2006, 06:40 PM) View Post

The problem lies here wink.gif

#48 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

I've seen that alot and it uses euclids first and third theorems to manipulate the equation. It's all very well for a and b HOWEVER the moment you try it out with real numbers you end up dividing by zero at one point and that, my friend, screws you over.

#49 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

a^2 = ab

this equation is contrived

#50 isthis_the_way_to_amarillo?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

The problem is in convergence. you are saying that X^2=x.x ie x lots of x
But if you look at this then it only applies for positive integers of x. It does not work for other real numbers. If you then graph this function of x^2 using this definition then it is not a continuous function. You can't differentiate a continuous function and so the mistake is made in trying to differentiate x^2.

Wallllaaaaa HOMMMIEEESSSS!

#51 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

ph34r.gif
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#52 waitingforan_alibi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(andymckenzie @ May 17 2006, 06:40 PM) View Post

a=b

multiply both sides by a:

a2 = ab

then add a2 - 2ab to both sides:

a2 + a2 - 2ab = ab + a2 - 2ab

This can be simplified to:

2(a2 - ab) = a2 - ab

2 = 1

a2 - ab = 0 since
a=b
so a2=ab

so division by zero is the problem with this one too (obvious if you look / even more obvious if you read fermat's last theorem by simon singh smile.gif )

#53 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

i knew i should of read that book

seriously i actually have tht in the house

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#54 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

If you subsitute x for a number, it doesnt seem to work, for me at least

#55 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

I retract what i said it does work, must have been tired lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users