Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help with wavelength of laser question - HSN forum

Help with wavelength of laser question

6 replies to this topic

#1 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Photons with a frequency of x 10 14 Hz are incident on excited atoms, causing the atoms to emit their excess energy.

Calculate the wavelength of the laser light produced. Give your answer to the nearest nanometre.

ohmy.gif

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Do they not give you a proper value, like 5x1014 Hz?

This is a simple case of using the formula 

\begin{align*}\lambda=vf\end{align*}

...I'm not sure if the formula's right, it's been a long time since I used it.

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

The formula is f = v/lambda.

#4 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 24 2006, 05:50 PM) View Post

The formula is f = v/lambda.

Sorry

Photons with a frequency of 6.45*10^14 Hz are incident on excited atoms, causing the atoms to emit their excess energy.

Calculate the wavelength of the laser light produced. Give your answer to the nearest nanometre

The answer i got was 4.65*10^-7 however, the answer should be .465*10^3 blink.gif

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hmmm... have they given any information about the work function?

#6 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 24 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post

Hmmm... have they given any information about the work function?

nope just exactly as i wrote above. It's scholar though and i know they have a few mistakes biggrin.gif

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Ah, probably is a mistake. Just the decimal places that they seemed to have got wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users