Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Answer? - HSN forum

Answer?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bourne

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone know the answer for Q2 © in the 2001 advanced higher physics paper?

Its about this flywheel and what happens if you use a thicker cord that has to overlap itself but is the same length as the thinner one. Same force applied as before. Neglecting the mass of the thicker cord.

T
Nothing!!!!!!!!

#2 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

You'll have to type the question here, I don't have the 2001 paper. If the cord overlaps itself, remember to add n2pi to the angular displacement where n is the number of times it overlaps itself.

#3 Jason Bourne

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Ouestion as follows - "The thin cord is now replaced with a thicker cord of the same length.This cord has to overlap itself when it is wound on the inner disk of the flywheel.

A constant force of 3N is applied to the cord as before.

Will the time taken for the thicker cored to unrap be longer, shorter or the same as the thin cord? Explain your answer.

Neglect the mass of the thicker cord."

By the way, have you decided on what uni you're going to? I'm off to St Andrews to study Physics.
Nothing!!!!!!!!

#4 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm off to Edinburgh to study physics. I did visit St Andrews and considered it my choice for a long while. But reflecting on the two visits I got better vibes from Edinburgh. Gut feeling really. I found the environment more friendly at Edinburgh. But St Andrews is a good choice.

Anyway... you haven't typed the whole question! tongue.gif
But, er... Assuming Torque is the same, moment of inertia is greater I think.

a = T/I

Time taken would be longer than the thin cord.
Of course I could be wrong. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users