Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
free time? - HSN forum - Page 2

free time?

40 replies to this topic

#21 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

I can't find a job that doesn't require me to have experience beforehand. sad.gif How am I supposed to get a job to gain experience in the first place if I don't have experience? rolleyes.gif

#22 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I whined about that for a month. Then I got a job in Loser Central aka BeCogent!

The money's ok, and it's simple. I get to sit on my arse all day so I'm not going to complain too much.

#23 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

exactly!!!!!!!

Although, if you were really desperate for experience you could do voluntary work because they'll take nearly anyone.

#24 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

Well, the main reason I want a job is to get more money to buy a car. I doubt voluntary workers get paid. tongue.gif

#25 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

hahahah have fun with that.

Yup...to college after the summer...and will be workign full time during the sumer.

Supose I should tresure what little is left of my time at high school.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#26 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Apr 19 2006, 04:26 PM) View Post

Well, the main reason I want a job is to get more money to buy a car. I doubt voluntary workers get paid. tongue.gif

no no thats not what I meant. I mean you do voluntary work for a wee while then apply for a job and you can say you've got experience.

#27 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

From what I've heard Tesco or the Co-op are always looking for shelf stackers. Ok, the hours are crap and theres probably a reason why they're always wanting people, but you do get paid experiance.

#28 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Apr 18 2006, 04:39 PM) View Post

I am a young leader at guides. Basically, i worked my way up through rainbows, brownies etc. I'm doing my warrant to become an actual guider. Woop-e-doo. It's actually a good laugh biggrin.gif

I do that for brownies and i'm planning on getting my guiders warrant as well like!!!

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#29 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Apr 19 2006, 06:33 PM) View Post

From what I've heard Tesco or the Co-op are always looking for shelf stackers. Ok, the hours are crap and theres probably a reason why they're always wanting people, but you do get paid experiance.

For what you're doing, the money is great(but the Co-op and Asda are slightly ahead of Tesco on the wages front wink.gif ), and I think the reason that they're always looking for staff is because the job is tedious to say the least. I usually work on the Deli counter, but there's been a couple of occasions where I have done shelf-stacking, and it is so incredibly boring, it's unbelieveable!

But, if you can bear the tedium, its a brilliantly easy job smile.gif

#30 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Isla from Banff @ Apr 19 2006, 07:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(lesley @ Apr 18 2006, 04:39 PM) View Post

I am a young leader at guides. Basically, i worked my way up through rainbows, brownies etc. I'm doing my warrant to become an actual guider. Woop-e-doo. It's actually a good laugh biggrin.gif

I do that for brownies and i'm planning on getting my guiders warrant as well like!!!

xx

i wish i'd gone & helped with a brownie unit. i think i'd like it way more than i like the guides. some of them are just so......annoying basically. your typical stroppy "not quite teenagers"!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#31 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Apr 19 2006, 06:33 PM) View Post

Where i lived before there was actually a waiting list for jobs at the local tesco and morrisons, although there werent a lot of places you would have gotten a job there anyway.

#32 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Apr 19 2006, 07:52 PM) View Post

For what you're doing, the money is great(but the Co-op and Asda are slightly ahead of Tesco on the wages front wink.gif ), and I think the reason that they're always looking for staff is because the job is tedious to say the least. I usually work on the Deli counter, but there's been a couple of occasions where I have done shelf-stacking, and it is so incredibly boring, it's unbelieveable!

Wrong! We at TESCO have recently been granted a pay rise due to the workers union, USDAW. Now, starting salary for an under-18 is £4.41 and over-18 is £5.80. You also get a wee pay rise every 6 months, and a rewards card after a year's work (10% off everything in store and online). I get my card in September, just before uni! cool.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#33 Insane

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Im an officer at Girls Brigade...and basically thats all i have time for at the moment....cant even make it to the gym sad.gif

#34 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Apr 20 2006, 03:41 PM) View Post

Wrong! We at TESCO have recently been granted a pay rise due to the workers union, USDAW. Now, starting salary for an under-18 is £4.41 and over-18 is £5.80. You also get a wee pay rise every 6 months, and a rewards card after a year's work (10% off everything in store and online). I get my card in September, just before uni! cool.gif

I'm just being a pedantic twat, but if you are paid per the hour you earn a wage, not a salary

#35 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:17 PM

tongue.gif: i get my card a month before you cool.gif

i dont really read any of the USDAW crap...it lies about in the staff canteen, but theres better literature to read....like the Daily Record

#36 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

Tesco treated me like crap. They paid well but they were not respectful of my university hours which I informed them about upon joining the company. They made me ague with them over whether I was going to get a holiday for my exams in December. I ended up quitting a few days after.

#37 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Apr 20 2006, 08:17 PM) View Post

tongue.gif: i get my card a month before you cool.gif

i dont really read any of the USDAW crap...it lies about in the staff canteen, but theres better literature to read....like the Daily Record

Yeah, I never joined USDAW (5% of my wages? Nae chance!) and tend to read the Record/NME during breaks! smile.gif

And Scott, I suppose it's just your luck what kind of boss you get....the one I've got at the mo would bend over backwards to help any member of staff! Hopefully the one in Aberdeen will be alright (I'm gettin a transfer to the express @ the petrol station).
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#38 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Apr 20 2006, 08:52 PM) View Post
QUOTE(nathanm @ Apr 20 2006, 08:17 PM) View Post

tongue.gif : i get my card a month before you cool.gif

Yeah, I never joined USDAW (5% of my wages? Nae chance!) and tend to read the Record/NME during breaks! smile.gif

And Scott, I suppose it's just your luck what kind of boss you get....the one I've got at the mo would bend over backwards to help any member of staff! Hopefully the one in Aberdeen will be alright (I'm gettin a transfer to the express @ the petrol station).

Staff canteen, we had a pool table. biggrin.gif Some dobber had already done the Sudoku puzzles when it was turn for my break, and they usually did them wrong. pinch.gif

2 of my team leaders were good, the rest I hated.

#39 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

I seem to have lots of free time but I don't do anything with it really tongue.gif Starting snow-boarding tomorrow and I work weekends.

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

At the Braehead Xscape?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users