Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What Musical Instrument(s) Can You Play? - HSN forum - Page 2

What Musical Instrument(s) Can You Play?

77 replies to this topic

#21 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

Dave, who do you play for? I played for Bon Accord Silver Band in the Championship section, they came 4th in the Championship section this year. I played for them until last November when I resigned because the travelling was just too much. Played 2nd Trombone, just out of interest, what part are you playing in the 1st section? It was fun, but Championship section stuff is very very stressful. Some of the test pieces where extremely scary and are just hard for the sake of it. Paganini Variations at the 2005 Scottish Open (in the RSCH Glasgow) was the last time I played for them. Had a concert with the University Orchestra the same day, meant it was interesting getting back to St Andrews on time for it.

I remember the days of being a band geek rolleyes.gif . Incidentally Dave, do you play in NYBBS?

#22 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

i play for Kilmarnock Concert Brass. 20 years ago we were the top dogs in scotland were on bbc and everything...now erm we aint. You want find much info on us online as we have no website or online info but me and a pal will be building a site for it one day..probably

Brass banding is just a hobby for me so i dont play for Strath orchestras or anything or NYBBS. Although i am dieing of boredom playing 2nd Cornet. Back in my school days i was principal cornet of school band and East Ayrshire Schools senior brass band.

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#23 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

You should play in NYBBS, its great fun. There isnt really any pressure to be fantastic, the pressure isnt the same as playing in a 1st section band/Championship section band in a contest. The attitude to playing is a lot more informal than you would think, plus with me being a St Andrews local now, I know all the best student deals (ie £1 a drink and such) that are about. You can get a grant for half of the cost of the course from your local council. Plus you get ace tutors, we usually are all on first name terms. I learned some really useful things which have benefitted me for playing in other ensembles.

#24 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

Sharon you should come to my Pipe Band we could do with some good Pipers the ones we have just now excluding 4 very very stunning guys consists of about 4 girls and old people lol!!! Come and play for Turriff and District!!!!

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#25 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hey we should start our own HSN band...although I will have to fight with PK for the triangle wink.gif

I used to play the trombone fairly well until I quit a few years ago. This year I'm hoping to learn how to play the guitar...and I will do it! hopefully! smile.gif

#26 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

I definately agree with you Kiran one thing thought we're kind of spaced across the country you know?!

xx

#27 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Isla from Banff @ Apr 14 2006, 10:33 PM) View Post

Sharon you should come to my Pipe Band we could do with some good Pipers the ones we have just now excluding 4 very very stunning guys consists of about 4 girls and old people lol!!! Come and play for Turriff and District!!!!

xx

Well...you never know! smile.gif

I'm thinking of going to Aberdeen Uni (are you sure they have a pipe band yeah?) and will be taking a look and bands in the area. Or I might just get an instructor and play solo for a few years - haven't done much competing in a while. wink.gif

#28 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

There are plenty of pipe bands in Aberdeen area

#29 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

Sharon it all depends on what level and how far you're willing to travel(btw playing solos is pretty crap in this area their aint much competions). My band is grade 3 and we're about 30 miles north of aberdeen it's a good band like you get an ace crack and em we all drink like a truckload of alcohol every contest. I'm going to aberdeen uni as well hopefully so i mean i'll be travelling back and forth and a couple of other folk in the band already do so you won't be the only person from out and about!!!!

xx

#30 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

i play the piano and totally love it!!

used to play the chanter, accordian, fiddle but gave up on them all!!

ive also had a few goes at the pipes, clarsach, guiter, drums and couple of other things, but ended up giving up or getting bored after learning a tune or two!
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#31 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(*Kiran* @ Apr 15 2006, 09:49 AM) View Post

Hey we should start our own HSN band...although I will have to fight with PK for the triangle wink.gif

I used to play the trombone fairly well until I quit a few years ago. This year I'm hoping to learn how to play the guitar...and I will do it! hopefully! smile.gif

Triangle is difficult. I'd be too scared I'd play at the wrong bit.

#32 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

it's a skill. Did it for higher. harder than it looks matey-joe.

#33 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

I play drums (drum kit - 7 years), piano (4 years) and I've kinda played guitar on and off for the past few years.

#34 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(kyle @ Apr 16 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

I play drums (drum kit - 7 years), piano (4 years) and I've kinda played guitar on and off for the past few years.

You got a kit? If so, what's it like?

I've got a 5-piece Mapex kit with 5 cymbals, including Crash, Splash, Ride and of course China! cool.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#35 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

I play the fiddle and totally love it! been playing only for about 3 yrs but theres a group of us at school who play together and we have done quite a few concerts etc! did play piano, accordian, clarsach, guitar and chanter briefly but got bored of them really quickly! tongue.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#36 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

LOL! People think guitar is hard..it really isnt.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#37 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Sammie @ Apr 16 2006, 03:16 PM) View Post

Depends how l33t you are at it, noob.

Watch.

Record me something like that and I'll take you seriously. tongue.gif

#38 Daniel Williamson

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:judo, sports sleeping is awesome

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

I play guitar, bass, double bass, drums, keyboard. Ye thats right I rock. i used to sing too but then someone told me i was rubbish. Anyone in the invergordon area wanna start a band?

#39 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Apr 16 2006, 03:29 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Sammie @ Apr 16 2006, 03:16 PM) View Post

Depends how l33t you are at it, noob.

Watch.

Record me something like that and I'll take you seriously. tongue.gif

wow, that is pretty impressive

#40 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

does vocals count in this case? if so i don'e 6 years of classsical singingand now do solo's in classical as its hard for a lass to do rock.
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users