Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
H5N1 virus found in Scotland - HSN forum

H5N1 virus found in Scotland

72 replies to this topic

#1 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:34 PM

Bird flu confirmed in dead swan
Preliminary tests have found the H5 avian flu virus in a sample from a swan found dead in north east Fife, health officials have revealed.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#2 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

Saw that!! f*ck them! they aren't touching my ducks!!

#3 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with bird flu.....first it was SARS, now this. Even if it does mutate into a human disease, there ain't anything you can do to stop it - it's out of our hands. wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#4 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about many people catching it here, no one really gets close enough in this country.
It's more the fact that theres a fair chance that we're going to have to kill a lot of our hens/ducks which is quite sad really. They're sort of half pets, the ducks are a rarish breed so are worth a few hundred quid and theres no help in killing them.

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, it's been confirmed it's the deadly H5N1 strain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4882946.stm

#6 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

this and the combination of Super Size Me being on, i have a craving for McChicken Sandwhich smile.gif

but i am an awkward bugger
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

The good news - I'm not actually in the 3km exclusion zone (though I am close enough for it to take til this morning before they could work out whether we were)
The bad news- Animal health are here right now. And we haven't managed to get all the chickens in/dead. The ducks were easy enough to sort out, although they'll all get depression where they are. The chickens on the other hand will rip shreds out of each other if they all get put together and are a bit harder to catch.
I really, really need to swear at someone right now.

#8 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

This was actually discovered 8/9 days ago but kept hushed up until now!

#9 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 7 2006, 02:05 PM) View Post
This was actually discovered 8/9 days ago but kept hushed up until now!

Yes, the bird was discovered dead a week ago on Tuesday but tests were not confirmed until the last few days. Should the news agencies really report on every bird death? I doubt they could seeing as most are killed to be processed for food!

"The headline at 6 tonight - 2 pigeons found dead on Sauchiehall Street."

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

thats not the point thought the point is the public phoned in about a dead swan and it wasnt picked up until the afternoon of the next day. Ok, you can understand the lack of interest but its tihngs like that which lead to uncontainable epidemics

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

From what I've heard (a mixture from our vet, the animal health guys and the woman whos been phoning up and telling us what to do with the birds) is that theres always swans dying, getting reported and then being ignored. Bird do have a habit of dying and if every one was picked up the world would probably go crazy.
Theres the possibility that it's been in the wild population for 2 months already, just no-one has noticed.

#12 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and I found it all very funny.

"Advice to the general public - do not touch or go near a dead or dying bird!"

Aye, cos I do that all the time.

What's the betting I get bird flu. I'm always blooming ill, and it'd really put an end to a fab year. Haha!

Oh God, I shouldn't joke about this things.

#13 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

yeah it really would put an end to ur year. literary

which wouldn't be good.

#14 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Apr 7 2006, 05:49 PM) View Post

From what I've heard (a mixture from our vet, the animal health guys and the woman whos been phoning up and telling us what to do with the birds) is that theres always swans dying, getting reported and then being ignored. Bird do have a habit of dying and if every one was picked up the world would probably go crazy.
Theres the possibility that it's been in the wild population for 2 months already, just no-one has noticed.

Yeah i know but once it was in france it was only a matter of time before it came here so i assumed there was something of a high alert type thing

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#15 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Complacency is the last thing you want when bird flu is staring you in the face like J Lo's rear.

#16 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

SARS, anyone...?

#17 Daniel Williamson

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:judo, sports sleeping is awesome

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

Anyone hear about the secret report that says the government were planning mass graves to be dug and expect 45000 deaths. That worries me. The fact i have a fear of birds may work to my advantage tho mwahahahahaha. Unlucky having to kill all your pet ducks though that is harsh but must have bee fun in a way
ph34r.gif

#18 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Apr 6 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post

I don't see what the big deal is with bird flu.....first it was SARS, now this. Even if it does mutate into a human disease, there ain't anything you can do to stop it - it's out of our hands. wink.gif

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Apr 8 2006, 11:21 AM) View Post

SARS, anyone...?

Good to see we're on the same wavelength. The media are far too controlling in this country, as has been shown with the panic and hysteria caused over such a non-event (for now, admittedly) wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#19 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

bird flu, i've just hached out a bach of chicks, most are a rare swizz breed, if you wanna protect your flocks one of the best idea is to spend money out on the breeds on the in danger list, if the govrement get off there a****s they have to vacinate then first so you can get your flock vacinted but thats a thought not a fact. i'm not working due to the flock of geese on the back field and the chickens, bio sercutiy has been stepped up. i'm not panicking but these are stil lives which when born or brought we have to protect! sorry rank over i'm off to throw up!
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#20 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

sorry rank over i'm off to throw up!

nice gizmo, real nice smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users