Can u drive!?

48 replies to this topic

Poll: Can anyone drive (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Can anyone drive

1. yes (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. no (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

3. getting driving lessons (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. not old enough yet (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

BTW sat my theory test today and got 35/35 in the multi choice and 51/75 in the hazard perception aka a pass biggrin.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#22 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

Well done with the multiple choice biggrin.gif I'm booked up for next week, and I've yet to properly learn it. Still, I have the CDs so it should be OK.

I just done a mock hazard perception tonight and also got 51/75, so that looks OK smile.gif

#23 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ Jul 7 2004, 10:03 PM)
BTW sat my theory test today and got 35/35 in the multi choice and 51/75 in the hazard perception aka a pass biggrin.gif

smile.gif Well done!!
@

#24 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

I drove my mum's car on my birthday around a random car-park. I've not taken tests or whatever though. My mum said I was a pretty quick learner of what she showed me so I hopefully shouldn't find it too hard.

#25 hssc11045

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:05 PM

ave had over 10 driving lessons + drive alot with my dad for extra practice but havent really bothered with the theory test part yet which a knw is 35 multiple choice and a mark out of somethin like 70 for the hazard perception part of the test. A knw its kinda stupid and should ideally started with the theory!!!!! however, does any1 knw of any links to good sites or could recommend books or cds for the theory part of the test cz a really need 2 get going with that and get it out the way quick!!!!!

thanks

smile.gif

#26 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

I've just sat the Theory test (33/35 and 63/75 in case you're interested tongue.gif ).

I used the "Driving Test Success" CDs and I found them OK. I did have a bit of a panic about the Hazard Perception, which apparantly works differently from the real test in that program. I passed though, so it can't be that bad!

Apart from that, you should read the Highway Code once or twice and try the two mock tests on the DSA website. I actually had some of those questions in my real test!

I've now got to get ready for the practical test. I could really do with a driving license before starting uni! I'll see what my instructor says, and of course there's a few weeks to wait before you can get a test.

All the best with the theory!

#27 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

yeah the DSA have their own materials that you can buy: The mutilple choice question in book or CD form which contains all the possiable questions they actually own and the same for the hazard perception but this obviously only comes in book form

As for when you should do the hazard perception test your are meant to do it around 20 or so hours of tution so as to gain experiance of the road first

(It's embarrasing just how easy it actually its seconded by the fact that their is a national average of 50% passing!!)

#28 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

I've finally found a new instructor (hurrah) and I have a lesson tomorrow.

I've forgotten what I'm doing. But that's ok. I'm just going to lie to the person and tell him/her (I don't know which one I'm getting - it's a company run by a husband and wife super team) that I've never been behind the wheel of a car before.

#29 sazzlemcbazzle

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:10 PM

Hey I passed mydriving test 1st time at the end of the July, never felt so much better. Its a great feeling knowing that you can take yourself places without having to rely on buses or parents!

#30 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:45 PM

I passed my driving test 1st time on the 7th of June and recently passed the Pass Plus Course too. I was really nervous about my driving test though because on the friday I was in an accident on a bus. My instructor thought I'd failed because of where I'd stopped, but in the end I'd passed. I'd had a year of lessons before I was ready and I passed the theroy the second time (the first time I came up against something i never saw before using disks and the second time they incresed the pass rate)

The only problem I have though is we have two cars, one which is for long distances (Opel Astra whcih I can't be insured on yet) and the a A to B car (Wee Corsa and the one I drive). If I want the car I need to either a)make sure someones off or b) take my mum to work. But getting my own car will have to wait till after uni....

#31 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

I passed my theory test in the middle of july!
I got 34/35 for the first bit and 55/75 for the hazard perception!
I was soo glad! biggrin.gif
Now to the driving test....

#32 sazzlemcbazzle

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hey Vazza can I ask what Is involved in the Pass Plus Test as my Dad thinks I should take it. Can I also ask how long did it take you to prepare for it?

#33 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

Pass Plus is a six module course with continous testing i.e. the instructor decides if you get pass that module. The modules are:

Module 1: Introduction & Town Driving
  • Observation/Judgement/Awareness
  • Consideration for vunerable road users
  • Spatial awareness & clearance to others
  • Typical features of urban roads

Module 2: All Weather Driving
  • Vision- See & be seen
  • Skidding & avoidance
  • Speed & stopping distances

Module 3: Out of town driving and rural roads
  • Rural hazards (bends/lanes)
  • Overtaking & progress
  • Observation Skills (middle and distance)

*Module 4: Night Driving
  • Vehicle lighting &use
  • Speed & stopping distance
  • Visibility- seeing & reacting safely
  • Parking

Module 5: Dual Carriageways
  • Joining/Turning/Leaving
  • Forward planning & observation
  • Overtaking

Module 6: Motorways
  • Joining/Leaving
  • Forward planning & observation
  • Overtaking
  • Breakdowns & safety procedure

* My instructor and I just discussed this as she said she wasn't coming to get me at midnight for a lesson
It took me 6 hours to complete it all i.e 3 x 2 hour lessons. I took a few weeks off before starting though, just to get to driving on my own. Now I just have to see how much insurance will cost with my pass plus certificate.

If there's anything else you want to know, let me know user posted image

#34 sazzlemcbazzle

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:17 PM

Hey Thanks Vazza for the infromation its a great help! I might phone up my driving instructor and see what he says before deciding what to do, as im off to Uni in September and it might be best to do it next summer when i have more spare time.

Do you think your insurance will cost less as you have taken the pass plus certificate?

#35 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

Well, there a few companies that are all in this initiative that will give you discounts for passing it.And I think the insurance will be cheaper. I recommend it as it give you experience driving on the motorway and there's someone there who can help should you get into difficultly unlike if you're driving in a parents car etc.

#36 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

in terms of insurance you can gain upto 53% off your premiums.

As a general rule most give you a years no claims bonus but this isn't across the board some give less and some even give more it depends on the insurance company. The smaller ones that do high risk drivers for less are the cheapest

#37 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

i can but not on the roads only on private proverty. i can practise with a lander orver when ever, when i'm old enogh my boss has given me the landy as he says he doesn't want to sell it but can't keep it
gizmo
xxxxxxxxx
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#38 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:29 PM

I am old enough, but I ain't got time now to do driving lessons

#39 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:32 PM

i can drive (not legally though), but whether i drive well, that could be open for discussion!! tongue.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#40 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

I am quite surprised at how many people learn to drive when they are 17 or 18. Absolutely all of my friends are having driving lessons and I have absolutely no wish to learn til I am over 30. However, if I move up north in September, which is a possibility - I might consider it. Thing is, I can't even drive a go-kart without having a crash and ending up in hospital unsure.gif If quite often heard "Och, if sharon got her hands on a steering wheel....!!!" dry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users