Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Maths 2002 Paper 1 - HSN forum

Higher Maths 2002 Paper 1

10 replies to this topic

#1 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi was wondering if anyone could aid me with these questions. obviously I know the answers from checking the answer sheet, but i dont know the working.

just like to say what a great site this is. Ive already printed off the revision notes. keep up the good work!

#2 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

Ok question 9 is your standard wave function question.

9a) sin(x)-cos(x)

ksin(x-a)

since we have to put the first equation in that form, you should know your sin expansion :

ksinxcosa-kcosxsina

Now rearrange the above to get the x's on the outside, so it corresponds to our initial equation, and generally makes it easier to work with.

therefore,

(kcosa)sinx-(ksina)cosx Note: I have only put brackets around these parts to clearly show the sinx
and cosx

Now match up the values of kcosa and ksina which correspond to your initial equation:

kcosa = 1
ksina = -1

we know that tana=sina/cosa

therefore tana= -1/1

i'm sure you can work out the value of a from here:)

Now for k

k = sqrt.gif (-1) power2.gif +(1) power2.gif and so on.

b) your above equation will be in the form:
ksin(x-a)

Sketch the normal sin graph
K is your amplitude
Move the whole graph 'a' degrees to the right.

Voila.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#3 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

you dont need a calculator for tan -1 / 1, as you should know tan45 = 1 , you then set up your cast diagram and identify the quadrent(s) where tanx is negative(because it's -1 and not 1 ). you then apply 45 ( pi.gif powerslash.gif 4 in this case ) to the quadrant adding/subtracting your angle from 180 depending on the quadrant chosen.

In this case :

sin is -ve
cos is +ve
Tan is -ve so you set up your cast diagram and tick the quadrants where sin is -ve, cos is +ve and where tan is -ve. If you have done this correctly you should have 6 ticks; 3 of them being in the same quadrant, and the others 3 boxes should have 1 tick each. The box with 3 ticks is the quadrant you use when finding the angle.
(its the cos box )

go on to solve the angle, then find K by the way Allana has shown.

10a)

f(x) = (8-x3)1/2

f(x) =1/2 (8-x3)-1/2 X -3x2 implies.gif (power down to the front, leave the bracket along, subtract 1 from the power and then times the whole thing by the differential of the bracket)

f(x) =-3x2 /2 X (8-x3)-1/2

f(x) -3x2 / 2((8-x3)1/2)

and im not sure about part b, i hate integration but i will try give me 10 mins or so. - even tho its only worth 1 mark

#4 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

oops. that's true smile.gif

I also didn't even notice it was paper 1 tongue.gif darn.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#5 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

Is CAST the same as the Sex And The City quadrant?

#6 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, except it's not as cool to call it CAST. rolleyes.gif

#7 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

I must be really uncool

I just call it All, Sin, Tan and Cos, no fancy names or ways of remembering it sad.gif

#8 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Sncz answer to Q10 appears to be wrong.

The answer should be

-2/3 (8-x3) -1/2

Or can it be written either way?

#9 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(frazboy @ Apr 5 2006, 05:42 PM) View Post

Sncz answer to Q10 appears to be wrong.

The answer should be

-2/3 (8-x3) -1/2

Or can it be written either way?
That's the answer to part (b). His answer to part (a) isn't quite right too though, I'll just go through it again because I can't figure out what he's done wrong by looking at text versions of the workings.

f(x) = (8 - x^3)^1/2
if g(x) = 8- x^3
f(x) = g(x)^1/2
d/dx f(x) = f'(x) * d/dx g(x)
d/dx f(x) = 1/2 g(x)^-1/2 * -3x^2
d/dx f(x) = (-3x^2/2) (8 - x^3)^-1/2

so the differential of f(x) is that, f'(x) = (-3x^2/2) (8 - x^3)^-1/2

I can't seem to get the answer they have for part (b), I'll need to think about this a bit more.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#10 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

I think your looking at the wrong answers then as i checked my answers and it has what i got ^^

the only difference is that i tidied it up:

by the way the answer is -3/2x2 (8-x3)-1/2

which is the same as -3/2x2 X 1/(8-x3)1/2

= -3x2 / 2(8-x3)1/2

and im sorry if i am not cool enough for you lot, 'cast' diagram is the most recognised in my opinion. If you had told me to set up my 'sex and the city diagram' 2 days ago, i would of slowly backed off.....

Yea i mistyped the last line, gets confusing after a while, but i have fixed it now. i just forgot an x2

and i dont understand part (b) seems a bit silly for 1 mark aswell

#11 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(SncZ @ Apr 5 2006, 07:22 PM) View Post

I think your looking at the wrong answers then as i checked my answers and it has what i got ^^

the only difference is that i tidied it up:

by the way the answer is -3/2x2 (8-x3)-1/2

which is the same as -3/2x2 X 1/(8-x3)1/2

= -3x2 / 2(8-x3)1/2

and im sorry if i am not cool enough for you lot, 'cast' diagram is the most recognised in my opinion. If you had told me to set up my 'sex and the city diagram' 2 days ago, i would of slowly backed off.....

Yea i mistyped the last line, gets confusing after a while, but i have fixed it now. i just forgot an x2

and i dont understand part (b) seems a bit silly for 1 mark aswell
Oh, my bad, I misread your capital X as a lower case x, as in the variable. Apologies.

Incidentally, I always remember it as "after sex throw condom". When I'm helping out the younger kids at our school though I always get told to teach it as "cast" sad.gif
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users