Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The mole - HSN forum

The mole

3 replies to this topic

#1 sarmad

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:52 PM

i'm stuck on this question and i dont know how to resolve it?

a mixture of sodium chloride and sodium sulphate is known to contain 0.5 mol sodium ions and 0.2 mol of chloride ions.

how many moles of Sulphate ions are present?

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(sarmad @ Apr 2 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

a mixture of sodium chloride and sodium sulphate is known to contain 0.5 mol sodium ions and 0.2 mol of chloride ions.

NaCl and (Na2)SO4

There is 0.2 mol of chloride ion, in the NaCl there must be the same number of moles of each ion, so there must be 0.2 mol of sodium. This leaves 0.3 mol of sodium in the other ionic compound. In this, there are two sodium ions for every one sulphate ion, so if there is 0.3 mol of sodium there must be 0.15 mole of chloride. I think.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 sarmad

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Apr 2 2006, 05:18 PM) View Post

QUOTE(sarmad @ Apr 2 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

NaCl and (Na2)SO4

There is 0.2 mol of chloride ion, in the NaCl there must be the same number of moles of each ion, so there must be 0.2 mol of sodium. This leaves 0.3 mol of sodium in the other ionic compound. In this, there are two sodium ions for every one sulphate ion, so if there is 0.3 mol of sodium there must be 0.15 mole of chloride. I think.

thanks, that was really helpful!

#4 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

this question always comes up in MC's

I can't even remember how to do them, although I remember that when I learned it, it was very easy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users