Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Geography - HSN forum - Page 3

Advanced Higher Geography

66 replies to this topic

#41 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:45 AM

Yea, tomorrow is when he wants them in by. I handed mines in last Friday, and last Monday, got them back to do again, and now they should be finished completely *Fingers crossed*...

But yea, Adv Higher Geo is a laugh, the statistics, once you get your head round them are actually fairly easy.

#42 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

So what did you think? I thought it was a good paper overall. I did questions 2 and 3. However, I was not expecting there to be no correlation in the Spearman's test! I was running out of time at the end so I may have lost some marks in the 9 marker in question 3. Other than that it was good.

Did anyone talk about it being chalk scenery? I certainly didn't think about it - it wasn't very relevent to the question about attracting tourists. However, my teacher thought it was daft that they gave a question relating to an area of chalk scenery when it has been taken out of the syllabus for Higher Geography. I was also hoping for a bit more variety in the table of countries in Supplementary Item C. However, there was only a list of 14 European countries, the poorest of which were the likes of Greece. The fairly easy 18 marker and it being a simple Spearman's Rank calculation made up for it though. I think I should get a similar mark for that paper as I did in my prelim.

One thing I find a bit strange is that although only 115 (or 12.7%) candidates got an "A" last year, you still needed 73%. On the other hand, 17.5% of AH Modern Studies candidates got an "A" with only 72% needed. 12.7% is also significantly below the 21.5% average of "A" passes for AH candidates.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#43 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

I did questions 1 and 3, the site for the land fill and the spearmans rank, I'm pretty sure I got all the marks for the calculation, because it's easy beans, but the rest of the paper I aint too sure about. Put the landfill in the same place as almost everyone else in my class that did that question (beside the chalk quarry in the south west of the map extract). so, if we get it wrong, at least we all go down together! tongue.gif

One thing I foundwierd was the 30 marks for the first section, instead of the 20 it has been for previous years. That kind of threw me a wee bit, but I did the best I could

Gavers

#44 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Feb 27 2005, 09:29 AM)
There is a geographical issues essay worth 30% of the mark of which there is a limit of 12 pages and 2,000 words. There is a geographical study worth 40% of the mark of which there is a limit of 25 pages and 3,000 words. smile.gif

View Post

.....we were told study was worth 50 and essay was worth 30......
.....and now the weighting of marks in the exam has changed.....
...have my class been slightly screwed?

(Incidentally I did q1 and 3 in the exam. Rushed for time, got all the calculations and stuff no bother, but didn't do much for problems and resolutions, and think it looks like I missed loads from the last part of q3)

#45 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

Try reading through this from the SQA:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Geography_AdvHigher.pdf

That tells you that the (on page 9 btw) geographical issues essay is worth 30% of the course marks available, and the geographical study is worth 40% of the marks available. Therefore, the actual exam is worth 30% of the course. It also tells you how long both the two essays should be.

Hope this helps smile.gif

edit - Another useful little word document, also from the SQA website. I wish I'd found this before the exam, it tells you lots of useful stuff.

#46 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

Oh £&%*$%!!!!!!

How can my school be so damn incompetent!!

#47 Shadowman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

hiya. does anyone know any good AH Geo websites that might help me with my geo fieldwork study essay? im looking for some topic ideas. thanks

#48 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

I did a soil study last year - basically comparing soil properties along a transect. The other people in my class of three did a river study and a study of a sand dune transect.
You can also see here for more information about the course.

Edited by bred, 24 July 2005 - 05:23 PM.

Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#49 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

Grade boundaries for Advanced Higher Geography 2005:

A (1): 81%
A (2): 71%
B (4): 59%
C (6): 48%
D (7): 42%

#50 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

The average mark was 15.4/30 for the final exam and 44.2/70 for the folio.

#51 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:02 AM

i was quite pleased with my B

i know my issues (M74 extension) was really good and the exam was great (done the landfill and the countries GNP thing) but my study brought me down.

i done bout 4000 words n i think the limit was 2500 lol

great subject but its really demanding

#52 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

Right, I've got to decide what to do my two essays on. For the issues essay I was considering looking at the climate change advocating the spread of malaria into northern climates. Do you reckon that would be suitable?

For the study I still have little idea, but possibly some kind of soil/river work...

#53 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:06 PM

That's cool that you got to do the AH. smile.gif

That topic sounds fine for the issues essay. I would suggest that you do have a good idea of the issues which will be discussed in your essay before getting down to it, but that you don't worry over the wording of a title. You can adjust the title of your issues essay and study paper right up until the last minute, so it fits your work, rather than adjusting your work to fit a title - which may result in you taking out good material.

My issues essay question was “Has the World Health Organisation’s Diarrhoeal Diseases Control Programme been effective, specifically in controlling cholera?” but I was considering doing something relating to malaria. The issues covered should be quite specific - I had to dig quite deep to find resources for my essay but it turned out pretty well in the end. My study question was simply “How do soil properties vary along a transect?” Soil probably isn't the most exciting topic but there are quite a number of tests you can do and in the end I thought I had created a pretty professional report.

Google is certainly your friend, I'm pretty sure they like to see that you've used as wide a range of resources as possible. You seem to read quite widely on political issues and I wreckon you'll get into your research and do a couple of fine reports. I think it's great how you have such a freedom of topics to cover really. smile.gif

Edited by bred, 23 August 2005 - 08:12 PM.

#54 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

Cool. I noted at one point that you had links to your essays - how come you've taken them away? SQA/school/teacher on your back? rolleyes.gif

#55 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

It's quite a coincidence that I deleted my issues essay just before you made your post today. I deleted it because I notiec that a couple of the text boxes and an image had moved around a couple of lines when the file was converted to .pdf it also included my SCN which I should probably keep confidential. I'll upload it again though...

Edit: Please scroll down for the link to download.

#56 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

What mark did you get for that?

#57 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

I don't know what exact mark I got for the essay but I got an "A" for the course overall.

#58 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

Right - well it looks pretty good to me. It's something to aim at for me biggrin.gif.

#59 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, I'm sure if you put the effort in you'll be the proud author of a couple of quality research documents come next Spring. And hopefully that fact will be recognised by the marker and you'll get a nice "A". smile.gif

I can't upload my study just now as the total filespace required to upload all the attached files is "greater than my per post or global limit." :/

Edited by bred, 23 August 2005 - 09:03 PM.

#60 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

I've uploaded my study to my webspace, here we are:

Click Here

Notice that most of my statistical tests end up showing neither 95% or 99% significance!

Edit: I've uploaded my issues essay to my webspace now too so I'll delete it from the HSN webspace.

Edited by bred, 23 August 2005 - 11:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users