Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Geography - HSN forum - Page 2

Advanced Higher Geography

66 replies to this topic

#21 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

It wasnt really my choice of school, it was that or not do it atall, so i just thought screw ill go and check out this uddy school. rolleyes.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#22 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE($impl¥_®i¢h @ Oct 11 2004, 07:50 PM)
It wasnt really my choice of school, it was that or not do it atall, so i just thought screw ill go and check out this uddy school.  rolleyes.gif

View Post

What teacher you got for AH physics?

#23 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:59 PM

and that is funny bcos?????

#24 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

Standard Grade Geography's bed enugh never mind advanced.

#25 Kim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(mooncd @ Sep 19 2004, 11:45 AM)
hi, i realy need you help, i need to know where all of our are planning on going to do your field work, could u give me a phone number of the center caus i need 2 organise a  trip for me friend and i.
if you caoud all post the info that would be FANTASTIC!
thanks very much,
sandy smile.gif

View Post

[rant]

Whatever you do dont go to ardentinny! Worst 4 days of my life. They made us climb up this MOUNTAIN (okay it was a hill but it took nearly 4hrs to get up!) and i cant even remember why. Has anyone made any use of the skills (ha) they learned on fieldwork? I sure havent, my study only involves maps and maybe taking a few photographs! Worst thing is i had to pay £65 for the pleasure.

Im actually thinking of dropping Geography now. Does anyone know of any good careers it can lead to? Or of anyone thats glad they took it? I just dont see the point in putting myself through all the stress and workload anymore.

[/rant] smile.gif

#26 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:01 PM

Stress and workload? This is the only advanced higher I'm doing as well as 3 highers and I find its the least straining. You don't have to be a teacher or lecturer with a geography degree, there are various things you could do, environmental management, weather forecasting, or town planning for instance.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#27 Kim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

Haha yeah I suppose it wouldn't be all that much work...if I actually did it . I'm just lazy and can't be bothered doing my Critical Issues outside class, I've gone wrong somewhere with it and its too late to start again, so i have to try and fix it up. I've spoken to my teachers and theyve talked me out of dropping it anyways, so looks like I'll just have to get my lazy, procrastinating ass to work!

#28 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:38 PM

I got the results back for the statistics related part to the prelim. 18/20 (90%) biggrin.gif. The teacher marking the other part of the prelim hasn't finished yet so I'll get those results next week.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#29 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:43 PM

I've finally completed (well pretty much complete anyway) my geographical issues essay. Yay!

#30 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

I got 82% in the prelim overall. biggrin.gif

#31 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:56 PM

Right, its my subject choices and they gone and put AH geogrpahy and AH maths in the same column dry.gif Anyways, in the description of the course I read, it said 2000 word essay. In here it said 3000 word essay. Can anyone clear this up?

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:29 AM

There is a geographical issues essay worth 30% of the mark of which there is a limit of 12 pages and 2,000 words. There is a geographical study worth 40% of the mark of which there is a limit of 25 pages and 3,000 words. smile.gif

#33 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

gotcha, sounds good. though I will be pestering the AHTs about the subject choices form, idiots.

#34 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

How are the geographical studies going? I'm doing a soil study and I've done most of the work for it I just need to sort the presentation out and do some more statistical tests.

#35 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

What statistics do you learn in AH geography? I'm just wondering because I'm doing AH applied maths which is 2/3 stats.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#36 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Spearman's Rank, Chi Squared, Pearson's Product Moment, Nearest Neighbour Analysis, and Standard Deviation.

#37 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

Out of all the stats you've mentioned our course does everything apart from Nearest Neighbour Analysis.

Do you get formula lists and tables in geography then?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#38 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

You will usually get given the formula for a question but you should know the formula for one test like Spearman's Rank because last year you didn't get any formulae.

Edit: You did actually get formulae last year but the question was a bit weird.

Edited by bred, 16 May 2005 - 02:20 PM.

#39 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

My Geographical Study was handed in today. I'm quite pleased with it although a number of my statistical tests didn't show a correlation. huh.gif

smile.gif

#40 Secluded Fears

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

I'm handing both of mine in today..hopefully it won't be sent back to me saying I have to change stuff. I think the teacher wants the final copies in by tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users