Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher Geography - HSN forum

Advanced Higher Geography

66 replies to this topic

#1 CurrieG2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:21 PM

Hi

Might be taking this but would like to know what the course is like??

Thanks

CurrieG2

#2 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

I was thinking of taking this too.

Here is some info.

Geography: Advanced Higher

Why Geography?
The study of Geography at Advanced Higher level gives you the opportunity to develop a high level of skill in independent study, co-operative learning, objective thinking and the ability to communicate clearly and confidently. You will gain expertise in the use of a range of maps, diagrams, fieldwork techniques and IT.

The course aims to give you a detailed understanding of many aspects of the contemporary world which are of concern to all citizens. You will gain understanding of the ways in which people and the environment interact in response to physical and human processes and systems and gain a geographical perspective on environmental issues.

Advanced Higher Geography provides you with a sound base from which to pursue further or higher education as well as enhancing your general education and personal development.

Entry to the course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained one of the following:

A course or component units at Higher in Geography
A course or component units at Higher in another social subject
A course or component units at Higher in Geology or Managing Environmental Resources or Travel and Tourism.

Course Outline

The course consists of three compulsory 40 hour units plus 40 hours flexible time.

Geographical Methods and Techniques (40 hours)

This unit enables you to build on the skills and methods which are developed throughout the Geography curriculum from Standard Grade to Higher.

Skill area – fieldwork survey/measurement and recording techniques

In this section of the unit you are required to undertake fieldwork in at least two areas, one of which must come from group a) and one from group b).

Physical Topics – some examples are
morphological mapping
slope analysis
soil profiles and characteristics
Human Topics – some examples are
rural land use mapping
urban land use mapping
traffic, pedestrian and environmental quality surveys
Skill area – statistical awareness

In this section you are required to carry out calculations involving statistical techniques such as

sampling - random, systematic, stratified
graphical presentation of data
descriptive statistics.
Skill area – production and interpretation of maps and diagrams

In this section you are required to present and analyse information using a variety of maps and diagrams. Areas of study include

design and layout of maps
interpretation of Ordnance Survey maps
topographic analysis based on Ordnance Survey maps.
Geographical Study (40 hours)

In this unit you are required to plan, research and analyse a topic in depth and present your findings in a 3000 word report.

Examples of Geographical Study Research questions:

the impact of extreme rainfall on the incidence of flooding or soil erosion
tourism in a sustainable community: the case study of Aviemore
a study of population change in central Edinburgh: a comparison of the 1961 and 1991 censuses.
Geographical Issues (40 hours)

This unit deals with the analysis of key geographical issues from the Applications unit of Higher Geography. You will be required to study two of these, one with a physical and one with a human emphasis and produce a critical evaluation of each.

Examples of key issues –

Group 1 – Physical

rural land resources – National Parks: a blessing or a curse?
rural land degradation – the result of human activities or natural processes?
Group 2 – Human

urban change and its management – to what extent can the quality of urban life be related to high urban-rural migration rates?
European regional inequalities – to what extent have all policies been successful in peripheral areas?

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking, Planning and Organising, Reviewing and Evaluating)

H Numeracy (Using Number, Using Graphical Information)

Assessment

Units are assessed internally by your teacher/lecturer in accordance with SQA guidelines.

The course is externally assessed by the SQA based on

a written examination
a Geographical study (3000 words)
two critical evaluations based on topics from unit 3.

Progression

Successful completion of this course may lead to:

Education (HNC/HND/Degree) or Employment in

Animals, Land & Environment
Construction
Hospitality, Catering & Tourism

Hope this helps

biggrin.gif

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#3 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:27 PM

First day of AH Geography today so I can't say much about how I'm finding the course. All I know is there's more statistics than higher and the final exam is only 30% of the course mark as opposed to 100%. We're going on a Field Trip in October to the Cairngorms. smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:08 PM

I don't know if anyone here's doing this but I was just wondering what other people are thinking about doing their 2,000 and 3,000 word essays on. I was thinking maybe global warming for the big one.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:16 PM

Good luck man, i take it u want 2 study Geography at uni?
I enjoyed Higher Geograpgy, but im not going to bother to take Advanced Higher next year, as it is not that important (for me)and id rather do something else like Adv H Maths. biggrin.gif

user posted image

#6 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

yeah i want 2 do geo at uni smile.gif didnt like maths much last year so i decided i've had enough of maths, although there is statistics in ad geo.

#7 rennie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:06 AM

i was thinking about doing something on wind farms. personally though i wouldn't do global warming it is very broad and you may have difficulty homing in on individual issues.

#8 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

IM AT UDDINGSTON AND WE'RE GOIN 2 ARRAN PROBABLY FOR OUR FIELDTRIP.

WOT R PPL DOIN 4 THEIR ESSAYS?

#9 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

im doing adv physics at uddingston btw, cuz not enough folk at my school...
lol just thought id share that rolleyes.gif

user posted image

#10 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:17 PM

Im doing AH Geography!
I hate stupid stats!

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

OMG stats are so boring. We're going to Laganlea (sp?) in/near Aviemore - I'm not sure - in a couple of weeks for our field trip.

#12 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:17 PM

We had our first one ages ago.......and I'm almost recovered from the midge bites.

#13 mooncd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

hey,
im doing ah geog, thers only 2 of us im my school doing it.does any one know a good source of notes on the net? has any one started there human investagation yet? im going 2 start mine this week. im doing the white cart river in glasgow. any one els doing rivers?

sandy.

#14 mooncd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

hi, i realy need you help, i need to know where all of our are planning on going to do your field work, could u give me a phone number of the center caus i need 2 organise a trip for me friend and i.
if you caoud all post the info that would be FANTASTIC!
thanks very much,
sandy smile.gif

#15 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

I'M DOING A COMPARISON OF SHOPPING CENTRES FOR MY STUDY THIS YEAR, STILL NOT GATHERED ANY INFO N STUFF YET THO

#16 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:58 PM

FOR MY STUDY IM DOING IT ON A COMPARISON OF SHOPPING CENTRES IN THE GLAGOW AREA.

FOR MY ISSUES IM LOOKING FOR A MORE LOCAL BASED ONE.

I DONT THINK GLOBAL WARMING IS A GOOD IDEA AS IT IS FAR TOO BROAD.

#17 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

Advanced Geography. hahahaha

#18 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE($impl¥_®i¢h @ Sep 16 2004, 06:24 PM)
im doing adv physics at uddingston btw, cuz not enough folk at my school...
lol just thought id share that  rolleyes.gif

View Post

Good choice of school!!!

#19 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:00 PM

yea uddy is defo the best school there is.

#20 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

there's 4 of us in my class and we're off 2 arran (yay unsure.gif ) in a few weeks

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users