Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
First day of 6th year - HSN forum

First day of 6th year

38 replies to this topic

#1 onlycowdenfanhere

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:50 PM

Well, that was ehh...I'm actually not sure how to describe it. Went in, new regi class. Handed a note "meeting with Dept Head". Started with AH Accounts, banter was good! tongue.gif Then I go have my meeting...and find out my timetable is ALL WRONG. What a joke and a half, my Ah Modern Studies has been changed to column 3, which means I cannot do cooking and therefore must pick another Higher to go with my 2 AH and 1 H. No way was I doing this, so I argued for around half an hour until I was told to "go home and think". So, I'm home, I'm thinking, and, to be honest, I'm up a rather famous creek which rhymes with brit. I have a whole new Course Choice sheet to fill in and I have until the end of June to make my decision.

So, 6th yr, so far one hell of a p*** day! mad.gif

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:11 PM

unlucky, well i get last period free on mondays which is nice.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:26 PM

Well my first day in 6th year was crap too!
First of all we went to get our new timetables which was kinda hard when none of us knew wot we were meant to b taking!!! So that was just gr8! Tyhen some people decided to have a protest over AH history not running as there is not enough teachers!!! Then some others, me inlcuded, started arguing over wot periods or private study we were or werent doing! But after much tears are shouting i did get my way!! Wahoo!! But loadsa people still are unhappy cause they are not gettin the rite amount o private study!
Then , as if it couldnt get me worse, we had an induction working with others thing and half of the 5th and 6th yr walked out!!! Which was great!! So then we all got into trouble after lunch!! The joys...

Well !st day in 6th year was crap.. it really can only get better!! smile.gif

#4 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

Mine was uber crap.

I chose Advanced Higher IS and got told to basically get lost to another school. I got treated like dirt by office staff when I tried to put cash on my smart card. Now I only have English and Maths on my timetable and I'm about to get hassled to take another two highers or one Adv Higher and One Higher. Screw that I chose Advanced Higher IS and I'm refusing to sign my stupid school contract as it says right at the top of it that the school will provide an appropriate curriculum for me. I'm also getting my mum or dad to write a letter as are the other people in that class. mad.gif

They also didn't tell us where our new regi class is as they didn't have their act together one bit. Only 5 people out of 65 have a correct timetable also. And at the end of the day I got told that the timetables for the first and second year were far more important than the senior ones...oh well I guess I'll just miss a few weeks out of Advanced Highers And Highers because the first year need to get at least 5 out of 10 on their wee crappy English spelling test first of all.

I need Adv Higher IS for University and now my school has totally screwed me over. mad.gif

#5 onlycowdenfanhere

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

Well, at least I'm not alone. I'm sitting here right now, with a course choice sheet looking at me. No ticks on anything. I don't have 1 clue what I am going to do. If I get the grades I need I've decided I'm leaving. To be frank f*** my school and f*** their bloody budgets. It's just happening because they are too cheap to finance a part time teacher for either an int2 class or AH class for Mod studs. My headteachers and dept heads are all wrapped up in their "targets targets targets" to realise that they are ruining people's choices. Strongly worded letter AND phone call on they way! Haha, when my mum gets going they wont know what's hit them!

#6 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Scott @ Jun 7 2004, 03:36 PM)
Mine was uber crap.

I chose Advanced Higher IS and got told to basically get lost to another school. I got treated like dirt by office staff when I tried to put cash on my smart card. Now I only have English and Maths on my timetable and I'm about to get hassled to take another two highers or one Adv Higher and One Higher. Screw that I chose Advanced Higher IS and I'm refusing to sign my stupid school contract as it says right at the top of it that the school will provide an appropriate curriculum for me. I'm also getting my mum or dad to write a letter as are the other people in that class. mad.gif

They also didn't tell us where our new regi class is as they didn't have their act together one bit. Only 5 people out of 65 have a correct timetable also. And at the end of the day I got told that the timetables for the first and second year were far more important than the senior ones...oh well I guess I'll just miss a few weeks out of Advanced Highers And Highers because the first year need to get at least 5 out of 10 on their wee crappy English spelling test first of all.

I need Adv Higher IS for University and now my school has totally screwed me over. mad.gif

scott dont be like that

their classes are important
but i understand they are not for certification next year
dont worry i didnt start in my classes until august and im expect to get AAA

#7 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:32 PM

lol my day wasnt as bad today.
I went in this morning for 1 hour, then came home, cuz there was nobody there, apart from 1st - 4th years. Even the teachers told us to go. biggrin.gif
I thought i would be starting some advanced stuff, but there is not enoght people, oh well and extra few weeks of summer hoilidays!!! tongue.gif

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:42 PM

my day went all to plan basically because it was already decided that no AH were running in wierd times so only AH english, maths, graphics and music existed so that was all very simply

HOWEVER i have done all i need to do for university and don't want to leave so am doing a lot of stocking filler subjects which means i have classes full of the new 5th year that are the most NEDY lot i have shared i class with in years

That was what made my day bad and what will make my year bad not to mention the new guidence system and reg system which gives me again a whole lot of NED's and a guidence teacher who ain't much better himself!!

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ Jun 7 2004, 08:42 PM)
HOWEVER i have done all i need to do for university and don't want to leave so am doing a lot of stocking filler subjects which means i have classes full of the new 5th year that are the most NEDY lot i have shared i class with in years

That was what made my day bad and what will make my year bad not to mention the new guidence system and reg system which gives me again a whole lot of NED's and a guidence teacher who ain't much better himself!!

Yeah exactly the same as me...
The 5th years are awful this year and they have to share our senior canteen!! ohmy.gif
Also i have a crap guidance teacher too he is soo annoying , a prat and doesnt take anything or anyone seriously!!! Since he will be one of the references for my UCAS form i am kinda gettiin worried!! huh.gif

#10 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:57 PM

Well half of fifth year and the whole of sxth year stood in a massive queue outside of one teacher's office to sort out all the errors on the timetable. It took me an hour to get "served".It was hell..lol. Plus i woke up late which is never a good start.

Our common room had a slight sardine smell still from muck up day no mince left thoguh lol.

if barbie was so popular then why do u have to buy her friends

#11 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:33 PM

Lol, was I the only person who had a good first day in S6?

1. My timetable was correct.

2. My first two periods were free because I never picked English. So I've talked to my Computing teacher and I'm going to do IS in that column as well (So thats columns A and E now - tomorow I have 4 straight periods of IS!!!)

3. Had double H Geography - was OK. Maybe a little bit boring.

4. Had Ad H Maths - absolutely loved it biggrin.gif

5. Had H Biology - was OK.

I found today a little stressful - got introduced to matrices in Maths, doing cell stuff that I don't have a clue about in bio (never done it before), IS was good, were just enhancing out database skills with FileMaker Pro before we really start the course.

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:10 PM

to people who don't have a Mac filemaker Pro is a database application software like Access but you see Microsoft don't make a Mac version of Excel so Claris make their own although the company is knwo called filemaker and that all they produce

It really isn't a bad thing that Microsoft don't make a Mac version of Access as it forces Mac users to buy reliable "good" quality software wink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:23 PM

My computing teacher really wants to do Higher PC Passport, however the software for it hasn't came out yet. And even when it does come out, she said it'll probably come out for the PC's first, then the Mac's. sad.gif

I think she is going to find out tomorrow, and we may have to move classes so we can use the PCs. I really want to do it, it sounds great and I think it would be a good qualification to go along with Higher Computing and Higher Information Systems.

If the PC Passport software comes out, we are going to start it in August.

For those of you who don't know, PC Passport is a qualification at three levels, Higher, Int 2 and Int 1. My teacher wants to do Higher. You don't have to sit an exam in May, you simply pass the units and do written tests and multiple choice tests in the class. It is accepted by Universities, and basically the course deals with how to operate software such as Microsoft Word, Access etc...but if you have Macs at your school, you'll use Filemaker Pro, and not Access huh.gif

#14 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:32 PM

What is the point in that??
That course is just like the ECDL, course where u learn spread sheets and word processing. That is a waste of a year if you have alredy sat Higher Computing are going to get an A or a B for it.

user posted image

#15 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:32 PM

That course is just like the ECDL, course where u learn spread sheets and word processing. That is a waste of a year if you have alredy sat Higher Computing are going to get an A or a B for it.

• There is no exam, so it takes away the stress of having to sit an exam.
  • People who have no idea how to work computers can do the Int 1 course to get a general idea on how to use computer software, preparing them for Univeristy/College where they may use a computer to prepare essays, notes etc.
  • It is Microsoft recognised and it is a accepted qualification. Unlike, say, Higher Human Biology, which only certain Univerisities accept.

PC Passport

I suggest you read the FAQ.

#16 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (superstar @ Jun 7 2004, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Dave @ Jun 7 2004, 08:42 PM)

Yeah exactly the same as me...
The 5th years are awful this year and they have to share our senior canteen!! ohmy.gif
Also i have a crap guidance teacher too he is soo annoying , a prat and doesnt take anything or anyone seriously!!! Since he will be one of the references for my UCAS form i am kinda gettiin worried!! huh.gif

The 5th years in my school are awful as well! What's wrong with them all!!!!! laugh.gif
Thankfully though, I am only doing AHs this year, so I will be able to avoid them as much as possible! lol tongue.gif

#17 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:19 PM

Oh God, here goes. All the 6th yrs got lumped in together in the tiniest of S.E rooms for regi. It was my regi room anyway with my old register teacher so it didn't do me much harm (had to go visit my 1st year friend class anyways.) First thing was a great start - double free coz I didn't take Maths, R.E or Italian. After break had dbl AH Business Management (only one doing it and I get shoved in with 20 other people doing Higher/Int 2 sad.gif) Pure hell (man) sorry couldn't resist!After lunch we had the induction with our new fifth year, most of whom are total plebs (apart from the nice ones who don't talk to you like something they're examining in Biology). That was too long. The Head went on about how "If you're not committed, we'll throw you out". The fifth years are actually really funny though - our common room is for prefects in S5 and S6 but all the new prefects are scared to come in! Our head of year told us all to go grab a fifth year from the canteen, bring them in and introduce ourselves. Once she'd finished her wee speech they all raced back out again!

So yesterday, I had my first period of (crash) H Modern Studies. Quite good, I think I'm gonna enjoy that course and I'm sitting beside one of my best friends which makes things better. Got my first period of H Biology....with the fifth years!! Also had my first period of AH Chemistry. Doesn't seem too difficult right now, the SCHOLAR notes are making sense. Wonder how long that'll last! And to finish things of nicely, we had integrated core P.E last period. Yes, that healthy competition between people. Or not. Ended up doing rounders. Us sixth years have almost managed to perfect our aiming. Needless to say, we had plent of target practise! Lol, just kidding!
So today was much of the same, nice double Modern Studies first thing - went really quickly. Then had to break duty user posted image I'm a team leader now so me and the other leader (hey Gary) had to teach them what they're supposed to do. Not very difficult you might think. Apparently it is. So that was a nightmare, then had Biology and Chemistry. After lunch got thrown out out of my Business Management class to go work in the Library so I could get some peace. Totally skived hehe. The last period was free. But halfway through it I got called out (over the tannoy no less) to go to some meeting. Waste of time, I didn't even know what the whole thing was about! But then got down to the common room and discovered I have an interview for the esteemed position of HEAD GIRL! Yay!

So this week so far has been a bit half and half. Let's hope tomorrow goes ok

Laura xxx

P.S A bottle of juice was leaking in my bag today and my phone got flooded. I wouldn't care except that it's almost brand newuser posted image

P.P.S Sorry Gary, you know I changed my mind!

#18 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ Jun 9 2004, 04:32 PM)
  • There is no exam, so it takes away the stress of having to sit an exam.
  • People who have no idea how to work computers can do the Int 1 course to get a general idea on how to use computer software, preparing them for Univeristy/College where they may use a computer to prepare essays, notes etc.
  • It is Microsoft recognised and it is a accepted qualification. Unlike, say, Higher Human Biology, which only certain Univerisities accept.
PC Passport

I suggest you read the FAQ.

Why should i read the FAQ?
Im not taking the subject. I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick.
It is good for people who dont have a clue on how to use computers, so whats is the point taking this subject if you have Higher compuuting or even SG, the Uni's wont even look at this PC passport thing.

user posted image

#19 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

Well, if you would read the FAQ it would explain it better than I can.

Even at higher computing, you don't actually learn how to use the software fully. You don't learn how to be an expert on word processors and databases etc. Computing deals more with how the computer works, from a hardware prespective, rather than a software perspective.

Universities do look at it. It is a fully recognised NQ Qualification at the level you sit it.

The Beginner course is ideal for the absolute novice.  No prior experience is required for this level and the component Units are very straightforward.  The Intermediate course is designed for the 'competent user' and focuses on the key skills required in the modern workplace.  The Advanced course is designed for IT experts - those individuals who co-workers come to for help.

At my school they will be teaching the advanced course, which is higher level.

#20 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

No I have to agree with SimplyRich on this one.

Part of your Higher Computing is a recognised core skill H Using Computers, and if you have this there is really no point in doing the course, it is designed for students who have not taken any "ICT" related subjects throughout school.

If you have done Admin/Computing, I wouldn't even consider this. It's up to you of course but you will get very bored!
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users