Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Investigation Intro - HSN forum

Investigation Intro

7 replies to this topic

#1 Radio America*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

I'm looking at the other posts and this seems like a really stupid question in comparison, so try not to judge me too much. unsure.gif

I'm having serious blocks concerning the introduction for my investigation for determining 'g'. I've got everything else written up but I have no clue how to start the intro.

ANY suggestions will be welcomed with open arms….. Write the thing for me and I’ll even name the pendulum I used after you tongue.gif

*goes back to staring blankly at the empty screen on word pro*

#2 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

right, apologies if this isn't very useful. its been 2 years (yikes, thats scary!) since i did my advanced higher investigation, so obviously i can't remember the exact layout etc for the report. however, i'm studying physics at uni, & as a consequence of that, have written a few formal lab reports in my time, so i'm gonna just give you an idea of what i'd include in an introduction for one of those!

start with a bit of background information to your experiment. i'm assuming you used more than one method to determine a value for 'g'? if you used things like kater's pendulum, or another experiment where there'd be historical information, include it here. you can also put in a bit about what 'g' actually is. then go on to explain the purpose of your experiment, something along the lines of "the aim of this investigation was to discover which method gave a value for 'g' closest to the accepted value of 9.81....." (obviously you'll need to look up the accepted value for 'g' somewhere - your teacher can help you find this in a reference book if you've still to find it).

hope this helped a bit! give me a shout if you've any questions & i'll try my best to help!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#3 Radio America*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

muchos

All of the methods of used to determine 'g' don't really have enough historical background to write a lot about (ie. The simple pendulum). Do you think I could mention a few other ones with more background (such as the canvendish-boys method) in my introduction anyway?

#4 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

yeah just talk about the general history of measurement of gravity, can talk about pendulums - Galileo, Kater and Faucault (yeah I can't spell too well). Don't worry about in depth explainations about every detail of the various methods in history, just brief description to give a general idea of it. You should probably also mention a few reasons why it is important to measure g. If you used a precise measurement like Kater's pendulum then you can talk about geophysics stuff, why g isn't exactly the same at all points on the Earth. Here's a good website for it, don't worry if it goes into too much detail.

http://gretchen.geo.rpi.edu/roecker/AppGeo...ravoutline.html

#5 Radio America*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

lol...where was this site four weeks ago when I was starting the darn thing!?!?!?! dry.gif

Thanks for the help, both! Heh, my introduction page will now actually have content as opposed to a massive cartoon picture of an apple falling..... (don't mock me, I was feeling kinda desperate and those clip-arts from office word were looking pretty colourful....)

#6 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

Any physics investigation starts with obviously title followed by ABSTRACT. An ABSTRACT is basically a 5-6 line paragraph which overviews the investigation and sums it all up. The whole point of an abstract is to give the reader enough of an idea what the investigation is about so that they can decide whether to read on or not. Particularly useful when you're a research student deciding whether or not to go through a 50 page investigation report, if you get what I mean. Basically an abstract will very quickly go over the hypothesis, procedure and conclusion.

edit: ps all the history is cool but do it later on I'd say, like in the plan/research bit.

#7 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Radio America* @ Mar 29 2006, 05:30 PM) View Post
lol...where was this site four weeks ago when I was starting the darn thing!?!?!?! dry.gif

'Twas right here, mon ami. tongue.gif

#8 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Mar 30 2006, 08:56 AM) View Post

Any physics investigation starts with obviously title followed by ABSTRACT. An ABSTRACT is basically a 5-6 line paragraph which overviews the investigation and sums it all up. The whole point of an abstract is to give the reader enough of an idea what the investigation is about so that they can decide whether to read on or not. Particularly useful when you're a research student deciding whether or not to go through a 50 page investigation report, if you get what I mean. Basically an abstract will very quickly go over the hypothesis, procedure and conclusion.

my advanced higher investigation didn't have an abstract, nor did anyone else's from my class. it was only when i went to uni that we were given a sort of structure to follow when writing up reports which included an abstract.

however, if you decide to put an abstract in (in my opinion, you don't need to really), the advice we're given for writing it is that basically all you do is write the aim, the methods used & your result (with errors). it should only be about 100 words long.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users