Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Differentiation/integration - HSN forum - Page 2

Differentiation/integration

28 replies to this topic

#21 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 21 2006, 03:02 PM) View Post

QUOTE(George @ Apr 20 2006, 11:00 PM) View Post

(have you ever tried it with sinx? smile.gif )

Oh yes I was recently challenged by my maths teacher to differentiate from first principles. I believe it involves the taylor and maclaurin expansions for Sinx... but yeah I gave up lol.
You can do it with higher maths material. The only identities you need are:

\begin{align*}\sin(x+h) = \sin(x)\cos(h) + \cos(x)\sin(h)\end{align*}

\begin{align*}\sin^2(x) = 1 - \cos^2(x)\end{align*}

HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#22 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Yes the but I'm pretty sure you still need the taylor and maclaurin series... however I stand corrected! smile.gif

#23 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

I'm not even going to pretend I know what they are tongue.gif

#24 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Here's the way I approached it:

\begin{align*}
 \frac{d}{{dx}}\sin x &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\sin \left( {x + h} \right) - \sin x}}{h} \\ 
  &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\sin x\cos h  + \cos x\sin h  - \sin x}}{h} \\ 
  &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \left( {\sin x\frac{{\cos h  - 1}}{h} + \cos x\frac{{\sin h }}{h}} \right) \\ 
  &= \sin x.0 + \cos x.1 \\ 
  &= \cos x 
\end{align*}

However, that relies on two facts, 

\begin{align*}
  \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\cos h  - 1}}{h} = 0
\end{align*}

and 

\begin{align*}
  \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{\sin h}{h} = 1
\end{align*}

. The sinx / x limit requires a lot of work if you're being rigorous, and the cos limit follows from that quite easily.

Now, in practice, nobody would do all that work every time they needed to differentiate sinx!

The whole point of maths is to come up with theorems and rules. Once they're proved, it makes sense to just use the result - there's no point reinventing the wheel all the time!

#25 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

I was puzzling over why you delved into Cosh and Sinh when I realized it was h for height. laugh.gif

#26 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(George @ Apr 22 2006, 02:21 PM) View Post

Here's the way I approached it:

\begin{align*}
 \frac{d}{{dx}}\sin x &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\sin \left( {x + h} \right) - \sin x}}{h} \\ 
  &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\sin x\cos h  + \cos x\sin h  - \sin x}}{h} \\ 
  &= \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \left( {\sin x\frac{{\cos h  - 1}}{h} + \cos x\frac{{\sin h }}{h}} \right) \\ 
  &= \sin x.0 + \cos x.1 \\ 
  &= \cos x 
\end{align*}

However, that relies on two facts, 

\begin{align*}
  \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\cos h  - 1}}{h} = 0
\end{align*}

and 

\begin{align*}
  \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{\sin h}{h} = 1
\end{align*}

. The sinx / x limit requires a lot of work if you're being rigorous, and the cos limit follows from that quite easily.

Now, in practice, nobody would do all that work every time they needed to differentiate sinx!

The whole point of maths is to come up with theorems and rules. Once they're proved, it makes sense to just use the result - there's no point reinventing the wheel all the time!
This is also how I done it, except I didn't know how to calculate the limits myself and had to cheat a little with them.

dfx, h is meant to represent a small change in x, that's why the differentiated function is f(x+h) - f(x) / h - i.e. the change in f(x) over a change in x. Obviously the most accurate formula for the gradient will come as h is closer to zero.

#27 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

hehe yep.

#28 Vyka

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Daniel Williamson @ Mar 27 2006, 08:51 PM) View Post

Any easy ways to remember the difference between the two? add one to power divide by new power i mean come on ph34r.gif

PRACTICE!!! Just like the rest of us hahaha

#29 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

This thread scares me blink.gif

And actually there is a semi-easy way to remember the difference (well I think so anyway!). For integration you increase the power and for differentiation you decrease the power.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users