Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Differentiation/integration - HSN forum

Differentiation/integration

28 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Williamson

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:judo, sports sleeping is awesome

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Any easy ways to remember the difference between the two? add one to power divide by new power i mean come on ph34r.gif

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yeah. Practise plenty of questions.

Differentiation is when the power is reduced, at higher level you only need to know basic differentiation and trig.

\begin{align*} \frac {d}{dx} \left(x^n\right) = nx^{n-1}\,.\end{align*}

While in integration you raise the power by one and add an arbitary constant.

\begin{align*} \int {ax^n}\,dx= \frac {ax^{n+1}}{n+1} + C\,.\end{align*}

I believe derivatives and integrals of trig functions are given on the formula sheet in the Higher exam, which should help.

For the chain rule (if you've covered that), differentiating gives:

\begin{align*} \frac {d}{dx} \left((ax+b)^n\right) = an(ax+b)^{n-1}\,.\end{align*}

(not sure if this is right, need to double check with someone else.

Integrating gives:

\begin{align*}\int {(ax+b)^n}\,dx=\frac {(ax+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)}\,.\end{align*}

Also, consult the HSN notes on integrating and differentiating, if you need help.

Differentiation

Integration

Further Calculus

These notes provided on this website are excellent, providing many worked examples to go along with them. What you should do is pracise plenty of integration and differentiation questions until you get the hang of which is which. smile.gif

#3 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

bump

jus noticed this...one of the teachers in my school came up with a lame method, but anyway

Integration
Add
Divide
Differentiation
Multiply
Subtract

dunno how you would remember that in the exam tho :S

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, that sure is lame. I just practise lots of questions. Much easier than trying to remember that integration is addition then division, especially when you get to advanced higher level integration and you get stuff like:

\begin{align*}\int {\frac{1}{x}}\,dx=\ln x\end{align*}

#5 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Apr 8 2006, 01:33 PM) View Post

dunno how you would remember that in the exam tho :S

Internal
Affairs
Department
Dispute
Many
Stories

lame, but it works for me!

biggrin.gif

#6 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

sorry,maybe its just me, but i dont understand how that can help you learn ?

i have just done enough of them to know what to do when i see one, i think its the safest way to do it, rather than learning some little saying....

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

i always saw differentiation as the process of creating the mess (hence the easy process) and integration as the process of undoing the mess (hence the more complex process)

probably doesnt help you but it give everyone an insight into how my head is wired...scarey eh

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 10 2006, 12:20 AM) View Post

probably doesnt help you but it give everyone an insight into how my head is wired...scarey eh

very laugh.gif

#9 Daniel Williamson

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

well thanx everyone really heres me looking for an easy answer and i have to practise great ph34r.gif

#10 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

A tip for you:

There are no easy answers in Higher Maths, unless you practice or are a natural mathematician.

I really don't like maths, but you just have to practice. See it as a month until you never have to do maths again in your life! That's keeping me going!

#11 Daniel Williamson

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

SERIOUSLY NO EASY ANSWERS?? well i quit as of now
ph34r.gif

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

if it was easy everyone would be doing it

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Mikey_Pee @ Apr 10 2006, 03:48 PM) View Post

A tip for you:

There are no easy answers in Higher Maths, unless you practice or are a natural mathematician.

I really don't like maths, but you just have to practice. See it as a month until you never have to do maths again in your life! That's keeping me going!

Unless you're foolish enough (like me) to take AH maths dry.gif

#14 Emma_P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

oohh thats harsh...why do that to yourself?? lol...unless maths is the way for you blink.gif

#15 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

You should differentiate from first principles. Oh aye. Take 5 hours to do the Higher math exam but that way you understand what you're doing.

#16 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 20 2006, 07:48 PM) View Post

You should differentiate from first principles. Oh aye. Take 5 hours to do the Higher math exam but that way you understand what you're doing.
Maybe not doing it in the exam, but at least knowing how to do it would definately help. Alot of people in my class don't know what differentiating a function actually does, but they have just memorised how to do it and how to use this. I think it's much more useful to know exactly what it is, and if a person can be told the first couple of steps then work this out using first principles then I think this is a great way to learn more about what differentiation actually does.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#17 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

I agree completely. Even in the Further Calculus bit I was taught to simply "multiply by the power and the number inside the bracket and drop the power" for further differentiation. They should teach the chain rule, or atleast mention the fact that you're multiplying by the derivative of the inner bracket.

#18 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 20 2006, 10:39 PM) View Post

They should teach the chain rule, or atleast mention the fact that you're multiplying by the derivative of the inner bracket.

Definitely, but most of the time it's sufficient to use the 'special version' of the chain rule, i.e. 

\begin{align*}\frac{d}{dx} (ax+b)^n = an(ax+b)^{n-1}\end{align*}

I would always read the a as the "derivative of the bracket" though.

I'm not so sure about differentiation from first principles. It is good to introduce, and have a go at, but - particularly at Higher - you can only take it so far because most of the time, the computations are far too involved (have you ever tried it with sinx? smile.gif ) That's the very reason why we have things like the chain rule!

#19 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(George @ Apr 20 2006, 11:00 PM) View Post

QUOTE(dfx @ Apr 20 2006, 10:39 PM) View Post

They should teach the chain rule, or atleast mention the fact that you're multiplying by the derivative of the inner bracket.

Definitely, but most of the time it's sufficient to use the 'special version' of the chain rule, i.e. 

I would always read the a as the "derivative of the bracket" though.

I'm not so sure about differentiation from first principles. It is good to introduce, and have a go at, but - particularly at Higher - you can only take it so far because most of the time, the computations are far too involved (have you ever tried it with sinx? smile.gif ) That's the very reason why we have things like the chain rule!
Yeah I see what you mean. I tried sinx just now and I have to admit I had to search google for a proof when I was calculating the limits. I still think that doing normal functions from first principles is a useful thing to be able to do though, and not too hard for the higher course (apparently it used to be in it).

I've never used that 

formula before, I always substituted part o the function with another function u and said 

\begin{align*}\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{d}{du} . \frac{du}{dx}\end{align*}

The rest of my class does it that way but I was teaching myself at this point and this was the way they done it in the textbook, I guess its better for me because it seems like less of a pointless operation and I think you can see the reasoning behind it better.

By the way, does anyone know why the stuff from the code seems to have a bit chopped off at the bottom?
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#20 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(George @ Apr 20 2006, 11:00 PM) View Post

(have you ever tried it with sinx? smile.gif )

Oh yes I was recently challenged by my maths teacher to differentiate from first principles. I believe it involves the taylor and maclaurin expansions for Sinx... but yeah I gave up lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users