Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Adv H Maths - HSN forum

Adv H Maths

16 replies to this topic

#1 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:21 AM

Im thinking of choosing adv higher maths in 6th year, i think i could get an A for the higher maths this year (although i failed my prelim but i have another one on all 3 units) so what are your opinions on the course?
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

i didnt think it was bad infact it was the easiest of my advanced highers (other one was physics lol)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

I would say Physics was easier than Maths, personally... although I did better in my AH Maths prelim. Anyway, yeah, it's a bit of a snore-fest at times but it's not at all bad if you're taught well.

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

Much more content than Higher so make sure you try and look at your notes regularly. Apart from that, I didn't find it too bad.

#5 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

I enjoyed the AH and it isn't too bad - go for it!

#6 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

It's really good preparation for university if you're going to do anything remotely scientific (as you will have to do some maths), and invaluable if you are going to do a maths degree (like me!).

I enjoyed it, but it could have been better. If you do take it and hate it, don't blame the subject, many teachers are not comfortable enough with the subject to teach it at a high level!
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#7 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

I too am taking Advanced Higher maths next year. Just wondering, is the 'step' up to AH maths as big as the one from SG to higher?

#8 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Ali89 @ Mar 26 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post

I too am taking Advanced Higher maths next year. Just wondering, is the 'step' up to AH maths as big as the one from SG to higher?

IMO, the step between Higher and AH is not that smalll. I felt it hard to start with (cos we had a new teacher and we started with binomial theorem which hit me a bit) but then it was fine. Higher hits you from SG cos of the workload and the NABS, but I think AH maths is a good thing to do.

#9 smilie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Ali89 @ Mar 26 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post

No i dont think the step from Higher to AH is very much, alot smaller than that from SG to Higher.
The AH course isnt really harder than higher it more just broadens your knowledge and explains things more indepth. Considering i only got a B at higher and just missed out on an A in my AH prelim by 1 or 2 marks you shouldnt find it a problem

#10 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

The step from higher to Adv Higher isnt that big. It just goes into more detail on things like Vectors and especially Calculus. There are new things added aswell that will help unanswered questions in Higher like complex numbers and matrices. Very useful grade to have aswell

#11 Radio America*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

I'm doing AH maths this year, so far, I'm quite enjoying it.... although, does anyone else go through phases where they just look at the textbook and think: "When in Gods name am I EVER going to use this in real life?" huh.gif

Heh, for some reason, the course has aso made me forget all forms of basic numeracy .... I passed my A/H prelim, but I can't help my cousin with his 1st year homework. Strange....

#12 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Yeh I know someone who is a engineer and they have never really had to use maths they learnt in uni, especially the stuff in first year (which is kinda the same as the Adv Maths). They just said that they needed to be able to understand what was behind some of it and to apply it.

#13 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

Lots of it is pointless, you will never ever use a lot of it again. But certain topics do crop up in the sciences at uni occasionally so its a good thing to have. Doing the first year uni equivalent atm makes me think why am i bothering but i need it to get into 2nd year tongue.gif They wouldnt set it unless i really needed would they??

#14 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

It's easily doable....if you're prepared to work for it....that's been my downfall this year! laugh.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#15 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yeah it has a huge work load attached to it. but it is good prep if u plan doing anything related to maths in uni. u can get passes which means more partying, less studying thumbsup.gif

#16 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Just to say. I'm the only one in the class at my school and still not through the entire course, with only 3 weeks to go. Still got most of Unit 3 to go! ohmy.gif

#17 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Pringles @ Mar 29 2006, 09:14 PM) View Post

Yeh I know someone who is a engineer and they have never really had to use maths they learnt in uni, especially the stuff in first year (which is kinda the same as the Adv Maths). They just said that they needed to be able to understand what was behind some of it and to apply it.

This is true, but engineers are not mathematicians (neither are physicists, chemists, astronomers or anyone else tongue.gif ).

The point of maths is not to invent things which people can use in everyday life, it's to further our understanding of abstract ideas!

Advanced Higher Maths builds on Higher, and covers more more concepts such matrices, and goes further into three dimensional geometry. It also builds on the techniques of differentiation and integration quite a bit, and intoduces the idea of proof (which is what maths is all about really smile.gif ). There is also a lot of work on differential equations (which are used to model real life situations).

It's a really good course, especially if you like maths and it's an absolute must if you will be doing maths at uni!

I think the step up is quite big, but if you are doing well in Higher Maths, then you should be able to cope. If you are very comfortable with rearranging equations and using algebra effectively, then you should enjoy it.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users