Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Law - HSN forum

Law

13 replies to this topic

#1 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

Ok, I want to do Law at Edinburgh (2007 entry) and I'm thinking about taking A level law along with my advanced highers. However, I had heard that some universities don't like applicants who have studied law before - does anyone know whether thats true or not? Oh, and does anyone know what the entry requirements are for Law at Edinburgh? (I know it says BBBB, but I also know no one gets admitted with BBBB!)
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Having studied Law previously a disadvantage? Sounds like a daft rumour to me.

There are no grades that will guarantee entry. I have read on TSR of people getting BBBB at Higher and getting an unconditional, but also of people getting AAAAB at Higher or AAAB at A level and getting rejected.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

I saw that too bred. They seem to be bluffing with there grade requirements. It's probably quite a popular course as I have heard the oxford and cambridge rejects usually try for them. Having a better grasp of law when you go in will not do you any harm, its like saying computing science would see studying computing a disadvantage. Nah.

#4 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

Well, I was told/read somewhere (not sure which!) that Universities don't like it because of the way the A-level course is taught or something to do with the course content - I really can't remember.

#5 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

Edinburgh is very difficult to get into for Law. You need good grades and a bloody good personal statement. Put it on your UCAs application as you'll never know unless you try, but at the same time apply to another 2 or three for Law (assuming this is what you really want to do) and fill your other 2 or 3 spaces with another degree. This way should you not get a place at any of the unis for law or meet any requirements they set you then you have back-ups and If law is what you want to do then do your other degree and then the two year accelerated LLB for graduates following that.

The LL.B is accredited by the Law society of Scotland at the following universities:
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Stirling
Robert Gordon University
Aberdeen
Dundee
Strathclyde
Abertay
Glasgow Caladonian
Napier

Another good resource would be the Law Society of Scotland for Information
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#6 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ Mar 28 2006, 09:44 AM) View Post

Edinburgh is very difficult to get into for Law.

Thanks - I'm feeling very reassured now! Would 4 As 2 Bs and a C at higher and an two As at advanced Higher be enough to get in do you suppose? (Those are my actual and predicted grades for this year and last) Oh, and I'm going to try and get work experience at a solicitors. Do extra-curricular things count? Because if they do then I'm helping organise a debating and public speaking competition and I write the school stuff for the local paper too.

#7 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

It all builds up your Personal statement. AAAABBC would take you well above their requirements. Edinburgh is often over prescribed for Law so you have to stand out from the rest of the candidates.

Your personal statement (where you include things like why you want to study Law and Extra Curricular activities that you have participated in) will be relied upon very heavily as well as your grades.

When it comes to writing your personal statement gear it towards Law and make sure the things you include first are most pertinent to Law and a career in Law. So if you have done work experience in a Law firm include that. If you are a member of a debating society include that, if you have had any experience public speaking include that - these are all germane to a career in Law.

Your Advanced Highers are unlikely to impress them, they will be focusing more on your Highers - in fact some universities don't even look at Advanced Highers. However include them as they may end up playing a deciding factor in you getting a place should the university be over subscribed.

I unfortunately didn't get into Law at Edinburgh, but was successful at another University - my grades where nowhere near what you have acquired or are predicted to achieve. My personal Statement probably played a huge role in me getting a place on an accredited LL.B course.

There is no hard and fast way to get a place at any university on any course, but particularly somewhere like Edinburgh with its prestige. All you can do is fill in your UCAS form, make yourself as attractive as possible through your personal statement and wait for a reply. There will be many, many people applying for the one place and they Universities have to see a reason why you are more suitable than any other applicant for that place.

I'm sure there will be other people willing to assist you when you come to apply, but research the a career as much as possible and always in your personal statement sound positive and decisive - Instead of writing (for example) If I get a place and graduate I would consider a career as a criminal solicitor and maybe consider going on to the Bar. write My aim is to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland and move onto the bar after gaining experience as a solicitor.. You may not wish to include career plans in your Personal Statement; but that diminutive bit serves it's purpose. The latter sounds like a better applicant than the former, as they are decisive and confident. A lack of decisiveness and confidence can lead a university to think that you are incongruous for the place. The personal statement is a chance for you to show who you are as a person other than someone who can pass exams.

I mentioned researching the career earlier, but never explained why. The more you know about what you can do with your LL.B degree following it then the more appropriate you can make your personal statement to the job. Also research the degree; find out what the Law Society pre-requisites are as well. With all of this you can make a more informed decision about what things you have done recently that are pertinent to an LL.B degree.

Your School will no doubt help you when it comes to actually filling in the UCAS form. If anyone wishes to add to this or jump down my throat about what I’ve said please do so – more opinions and information all people to make more informed decisions and choices.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#8 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the advice!

#9 Rashail

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Mar 24 2006, 12:56 PM) View Post

Ok, I want to do Law at Edinburgh (2007 entry) and I'm thinking about taking A level law along with my advanced highers. However, I had heard that some universities don't like applicants who have studied law before - does anyone know whether thats true or not? Oh, and does anyone know what the entry requirements are for Law at Edinburgh? (I know it says BBBB, but I also know no one gets admitted with BBBB!)

I also want to do law at edinburgh 2007 entry tongue.gif

Thanks for all the advice everyone smile.gif

#10 *HeadGirl*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

theres higher law? wow, wat kinda school do you go to?

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

No, you can't do a Higher in Law. There is A-level Law though.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

And, if you want to do A-level Law, you have to do it through a correspondance school such as ICS - it has nothing to do with school - in your own time at your own expense , as far as I'm aware. If anyone knows another way of doing it I'd be grateful if they'd tell me!

#13 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

You can also do it at college, as far as I know. One of my friends, who lives in Scunthorpe is doing A-level Law at Doncaster College, as well as A-level History and English...he says he is enjoying the course so far.

#14 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

i want to apply for Law for entry in 2007! going to apply to Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and.. London School of Economics smile.gif

thanks for all the info! starting to write my personal statement....now. lol x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users