Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Graphs - HSN forum

Graphs

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know where i could get a freeware program that can draw graphs to an acceptable level for my investigiation? ie able to draw best fir lines and plot centroids etc.

Thanks

Ian

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

when i did i just used the graphs in excel. It can do best fits and error bars as required

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

to be honest, excel is as much as you need. its what we use in uni for our lab work & lab reports, so you really don't need anything more technical than that. my one graph in my advanced higher investigation was drawn by hand, & yes, i passed it!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#4 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, I used excel for plotting a scatter diagram of results with error bars, then drew the line of best fit on myself. Remember to change the major and minor unit increments for the x and y axis though!

On the topic of graphs, how do I get uncertainty in a gradient if I've only got one line?

#5 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Vixus @ Mar 23 2006, 10:13 AM) View Post

Yeah, I used excel for plotting a scatter diagram of results with error bars, then drew the line of best fit on myself. Remember to change the major and minor unit increments for the x and y axis though!

On the topic of graphs, how do I get uncertainty in a gradient if I've only got one line?

you draw 2 lines parallel to the best fit line that pass through the most extreme points above an below. then you get a rectangle ABCD and work out the gradients AC and BD and slot them in some equaiton.

(Sorry it's hard to explain without a digram)

#6 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:37 AM

Excel can automatically add a line of best fit, give you its equation and R^2 value.

The error in x is

= x SQUAREROOT[(1-R^2)/(n-2)]

where n is the number of plotted points

Dunno if thats cheating at advanced higher level but I'm a big fan of being lazy and getting excel to do everything.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I have no idea how to put equations on this thing.

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

\begin{align*}error\,in\,x=x \sqrt \left({\frac {1-R^2}{n-2}\right)}\end{align*}

Yeah, decided to clarify because I was bored. tongue.gif

#8 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

I posted this up

Edit: I thought i sent u a copy of this???

#9 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(skint_student @ Mar 24 2006, 12:37 AM) View Post

Excel can automatically add a line of best fit, give you its equation and R^2 value.

The error in x is

= x SQUAREROOT[(1-R^2)/(n-2)]

where n is the number of plotted points

Dunno if thats cheating at advanced higher level but I'm a big fan of being lazy and getting excel to do everything.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I have no idea how to put equations on this thing.

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Mar 24 2006, 01:22 PM) View Post

\begin{align*}error\,in\,x=x \sqrt \left({\frac {1-R^2}{n-2}\right)}\end{align*}

Yeah, decided to clarify because I was bored. tongue.gif

yeah - what they said! lol. i seem to remember having to do it a complicated way with boxes & stuff at advanced higher. however, the excel way is far easier & its what i'd use now.....but that is possibly only cos we did actually get about 5 dedicated "errors lectures" in uni this year huh.gif
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#10 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

How?! How?! biggrin.gif

#11 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Vixus @ Mar 25 2006, 01:50 PM) View Post

How?! How?! biggrin.gif

When you have plotted your graph right-click on your data points, then select "Add Trendline". Select whether it is a linear or exponential graph or whatever, then go to "Options" and tick the boxes to display equation on chart and R squared value. Then click "Ok" and you magically have your line of best fit all done for you biggrin.gif

#12 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

Amazing!

#13 smit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

I dont understand, I have always been made to use random error,

range/number of measurements

As my error bars, what does the error in x equation do?

And what is R?

#14 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

smit, that's used to find error in the gradient.

#15 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(smit @ Mar 28 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post

I dont understand, I have always been made to use random error,

range/number of measurements

As my error bars, what does the error in x equation do?

And what is R?

R^2 is a value that you can get excel to give you on best fit straight lines. you use it in the equation quoted above to work out the error (i believe its the random error? hopefully someone can correct me if i'm wrong). in the gradient of the graph. for example, in some experiments the value for the gradient corresponds to the property that you're trying to obtain a value for, & in this case, the error in the gradient would be the error in this value.
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users