Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
desktop/laptop? - HSN forum

desktop/laptop?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

ok I don't know if this is the right place to post this. what do you think is more appropriate for uni? I know its a preference thing, but I've never owned a laptop so I can't really see any advantages apart from mobility. could current uni people shed some light on this please? thanks
IPB Image

#2 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

That signature: My eyes, they bleed!

I'm staying at home but I bought a laptop anyway. To be honest I hardly ever use my desktop computer now since I bought my laptop. It's far more mobile and is a lot of use when sending files home (instead of clogging up email or using SSH with the files you can just network them and transfer between your laptop and the uni computers).

#3 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

I'm at uni (well, not now, but I was tongue.gif) and I use both a desktop and a laptop, so I can't really say which'd be better. I prefer the power of the desktop, but I like to bring my laptop with me to the university sometimes, and it helps avoid queues in the library or whatever if I want to use the internet. smile.gif

#4 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Desktop for me! I've never needed to bring my laptop to uni, and I'm doing software engineering ohmy.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#5 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

i love my laptop. mine was a birthday pressie for my 18th, & i dunno what i'd do without it now! the main reason i got a laptop was just size - i couldn't have fit a desktop in my room!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#6 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

I prefer desktop even after buying a laptop...

Unless you are going to be carrying it about and using in library or anywhere at uni you should probably go for a desktop.

For an equivalent spec PC it'll be much cheaper.

#7 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Mar 21 2006, 03:20 PM) View Post

i love my laptop. mine was a birthday pressie for my 18th, & i dunno what i'd do without it now! the main reason i got a laptop was just size - i couldn't have fit a desktop in my room!

I was the same, I don't have room on my desk for a desktop. At least I can shove my laptop in a corner somewhere!

Also, if you have a laptop, you can work from the comfort of your bed, as I often do.

I just got my laptop as a privacy thing. Because our family computer's in the living room, I couldn't do anything without my mum breathing down my neck. So I got my laptop so I could do my column (may she rest in peace) in the comfort of my own room, and essays and stuff as well.

I do love my laptop, but I won't use it for the internet. I don't want her to get all virus-y. And don't tell me to just buy anti-virus software, because we've bought all the anti-virus software going for this computer and it's still ill. We just seem to kill computers round here, I have no idea how. It's not like I download anything. So I'm not risking it with Tallulah.

That's my laptop's name, by the way. When I switched it on, it said, "Give your computer a name." So I said, "Aha! TALLULAH!" I even have a CD with "Lindsay's Tallulah Back-up" on it. happy.gif

Yeah, I didn't really answer the question there, did I? I just rambled. As usual.

#8 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Mar 21 2006, 04:06 PM) View Post

Also, if you have a laptop, you can work from the comfort of your bed, as I often do.

Yeah, I didn't really answer the question there, did I? I just rambled. As usual.

lol and we love u for it tongue.gif

As for being on ur bed, i can just do that with wireless keyboard and mouse.

To answer the question, the answer really depends on what u need ur computer for. if ur going to be takin a course with alot of computing in it i'd say go for a desktop. also if u enjoy gaming aswell biggrin.gif

but if ur just going to do occasional essays etc on it then laptop. cheaper aswell.

for a decent laptop ur lookin at about £600 and for a decent desktop ur looking at about £1200
they'd last a good few years before u'll feel u need to update them.

pk cool.gif

#9 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

hands up if you miss the daily record column??? ** raises hands lol

have both

also need a external hard drive for laptop as its filled with rubbish

laptop is good if you are too lazy to get out of bed

dont like the touchpad mouse thing though
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#10 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

For us, all our lecture material, tutorial material, and submission, is done online. Not to mention the endless amounts of emails back and forth from tutors. I'd definitely recommend a laptop. It would be convenient as you would be able to connect wirelessly inside your campus and its portable. You could also use it as your desktop at home.

#11 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

I'd say a laptop is better. But i'm biast and saying that based purely on the fact that laptops are more cute and girly!
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#12 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

I far prefer my laptop (Henry- and yay!someone else has named theirs too! rolleyes.gif ) because theres a lot of wireless places here so its easy to connect to the internet where ever you are, but I suppose it would matter if the Uni you plan on going to has a lot of wireless facilities.

And i far prefer the touchpad thing because I've got it set so you can copy and paste and things just by pressing a corner so its easier to use than a mouse for me.

#13 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Apart from mobility, a laptop doesn't have much else going for it.

#14 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

High-five that last comment.

#15 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

AND, and its a big and too!, AND they look far nicer!!

edited for empahsis

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Laptops have more than just mobility going for them.

Some people that have laptops wont use them for there , mobility. Size is another characteristic they have going for them, along with a lower power consumption, and a choice of having no wires attatched for periods of times.

#17 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

All of that goes under mobility technically... think about why they are small, why they have low power consumption etc.. tongue.gif

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Mobility is the ability to easily move and carry it, does not neccessarily mean lower power consumption and smaller in size.

#19 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

Power Consumption!!! ohmy.gif Come on John ur sounding like a little old lady!

#20 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

It does mean size, are you saying a large item is just as mobile as a small one, if thats the case then why do apple continue to make ipods smaller and smaller?

Also, if your laptop has a large power consuption, it's going to have either A: a large battery (larger laptop), or B: a shit battery life, again, making the unit less mobile - whats the use in a laptop that runs for 10 mins?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users