Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Driving Test - HSN forum - Page 8

Driving Test

190 replies to this topic

#141 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

i had 35 lessons before i passed on my 2nd trying. It would have been less but i had to change driving school because the first went out of business and obviously it would hve been less if i had passed first time! I have friends who got zero minors and friends who passed after 3 months though

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#142 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

I am an EFFING MORON.

3 minors. That is the best I've EVER driven.

AND 2 BLOODY MAJORS.

In my defence, that lorry at the roundabout came out of nowhere. It just appeared so I just kept going. Smart.

And I cocked up my reverse round a corner, bumped the kerb.

But THREE MINORS.

HELLO.

I CAN'T DRIVE THAT WELL.

I HATE MY HEAD!!!!!

#143 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

aww Lindsay, sounds like it was just bad luck! thats the thing with driving tests, so much of it depends on what other cars etc do, its just bad luck if something happens which you're not quite ready for. i'm sure you'll pass next time!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#144 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

i failed on my first attempyt because a car came out of nowhere on the roundabout aswell. Least you know what to do on your next attempt, to sit like a muffin at the roundabout being totally sure nothing is around and to play the reversing round corners and parallel park safe by giving it lots of room - means getting a minor but its worth it to avoid a fail. Its what i did and i passed with loads of minors but a pass is a pass aint it

#145 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Yeah but if you sit and wait they'll reward you with a minor for hesitance. Damned if you do!

Just book up your next test straight away, you're clearly good enough. Cause you're so pissed off this time, it really spurs you on for the next test. Cause you feel right shitted over.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#146 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

aye well its like i said take minors to avoid majors in my test that i passed i got

2 minors for hesitance
2 minors for incorrect placement of hands on steering wheel
1 minor for not knowing where the oil went
1 minor for not being parallel in the parallel park (avoids hitting kerb)
1 minor for coming up to a junction to fast
1 minor for taking reversing round a corner too wide(again avoiding kerb)

#147 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

I passed my theory this afternoon.

34 out of 35 and 67 out of 75....go me biggrin.gif

sorry to hear you didnt get on so well in your practical, lindsay....I'm sure you'll do great next time smile.gif

#148 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

Well done Nathan. smile.gif

That sucks Lindsay, you'll be good enough to pass next time round though.

#149 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

I've rebooked my test for October. That was the soonest I could get a decent time. So I won't pass my test by the end of the summer. Boooo.

I am proud of my jus three minors though. I mean, I'm the girl that doesn't check her mirrors and speeds all the time. So 3 minors is quite good, seeing as they were for steering and being too hesitant.

I'm relying on Gillian passing now, because we'd said the first one who passes takes us all to Edinburgh Zoo for the day, hahaha! We are such children.

#150 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hey Lindsay keep checking for cancellations... they do popup. Also 10 am tests are much easier than 2 pm onwards tests.

#151 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

I've probably said it before but my 3rd test was on the 6th or 9th of august and i got a cancellation for less than 2 weeks afterwards. I would've been wating til november otherwise. So phoning up regularly is worth the few minutes it takes.

I got my pink card through today biggrin.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#152 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(jon2005 @ Aug 18 2006, 01:09 AM) View Post

hey, just had my second lesson today and feel that while I'm coping well with gear changing and start/stopping etc. I just cannot get a hang of steering properly i.e the whole pull/push thing. Anyone got any tips for getting this engrained into memory as quick as possible?? thanks!

the push pull thing comes naturally as you drive more and more. Ive had 3 lessons and I think im getting the hang of the steering. It's just moving off thhat can be dodgy...I was at a traffic light, right at the front, and I stalled as it came green, hence missing the whole light (you should have seen the queue behind me biggrin.gif)

#153 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Aug 25 2006, 01:04 PM) View Post

I was at a traffic light, right at the front, and I stalled as it came green, hence missing the whole light (you should have seen the queue behind me biggrin.gif)

been there, done that! absolutely hate it, i feel so bad when my mistakes have an effect on other cars!

QUOTE(lesley @ Aug 25 2006, 12:52 PM) View Post

So phoning up regularly is worth the few minutes it takes.

its even easier when you can check in a couple of minutes on the website!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#154 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

Thing is though, I can't just phone up my driving instructor and go, "Here! I have my test for Thursday!" because she is really busy and has loads of pupils, so I have to give her some notice.

#155 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

I failed my test a few weeks ago. I had like 15 minors and one major - which was my reverse park. I kept hitting the kerb.

#156 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

you also cannt take a resit until after a time period after your last fail but i have no idea what the time period is. Push pull technique i hated and was never that great at and i never use it now

#157 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Aug 26 2006, 11:15 AM) View Post

Thing is though, I can't just phone up my driving instructor and go, "Here! I have my test for Thursday!" because she is really busy and has loads of pupils, so I have to give her some notice.

Using the online system, once you get a date and you select it and proceed with it, you get 15 minutes to enter your details and prcoess the payment. So if you see a date, make sure you select it first and proceed and it tells you that the date has been reserved for 15 minutes. THAT's when you call up your instructor and ask whether he/she's available and you can always just quit the process if they aren't. Just make sure u DON'T make the phone call BEFORE reserving the date (for the 15 minute period) and then get your instructor to confirm and find the date's been snapped up by someone else when you select it!

#158 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Aug 26 2006, 11:15 AM) View Post

For Carmyle driving school and then my instructors own wee company tests always took precedent.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#159 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

You should always check online as well for cancellations, that's what i did. I tried booking my test 3 weeks ago, and the soonest i could get was 20th November ohmy.gif then thankfully, I decided to be nosy one night and check how many places had been filled - and found a test available to 10.44 Friday 25th Augest!! biggrin.gif

Anyway, sat my test last Friday, and happy to say that i passed with 2 minors!!! yippeee!! cool.gif

1st minor was the questions at the beginning of the test (how am i supposed to remember were the blinking water coolent is supposed to go?!)....2nd minor was something about indicators....not too sure what he meant by that, maybe i was too early or simply too late in indicating huh.gif)

Had my doubts though (as did many in my family) as i have only been learning to drive for about 8 weeks...still over the moon that i am actually allowed on the road on my own!! oh, 6 days later and the feeling is still as good laugh.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#160 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

ohmy.gif

I dont know anything about driving really...but maria - only having been learning for 8 weeks and you passed with 2 minors?!! ohmy.gif Golly gosh, well done biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users