Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
mixed questions (need help) - HSN forum

mixed questions (need help)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dscott24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

Hi,
can someone please help me with this question.

1. Two sides of a rectangle have equations y=2x and 2y+x=5. Find, algebraically, the coordinates of the vertex of the rectangle formed by these sides.

DScott24

#2 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

Make a sketch of what's going on. Do you know what the question is actually asking you?
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#3 Dscott24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 12 2006, 01:17 PM) View Post

Make a sketch of what's going on. Do you know what the question is actually asking you?

I think i do, is it just the point where the two sides of the rectangle meet. Can you give me a hint on what im supposed to do?

DScott24

#4 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Well, if the lines intersect then you are looking for a point which lies on both the lines, i.e. solving the equation of the lines simultaneously.

Have a look at the new Straight Lines notes for more information.

#5 Dscott24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 12 2006, 01:31 PM) View Post

Well, if the lines intersect then you are looking for a point which lies on both the lines, i.e. solving the equation of the lines simultaneously.

Have a look at the new Straight Lines notes for more information.

Yeah i just tried that, although i didnt get the right answer. can you try it and tell me what u got?

DScott24

#6 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

I got (1,2).

#7 Dscott24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 12 2006, 01:48 PM) View Post

I got (1,2).

Yeah thats the right answer, can you show me how you did it?

DScott24

#8 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

Ok, you have:

\begin{align*}y&=2x &(1)\\
2y+x&=5 &(2)\end{align*}

So all you have to do is solve them simultaneously. There are lots of ways you can do this (all covered in the notes), but I did this:

From (1), 2y=4x (by multiplying through by 2), then substitute this into (2):

\begin{align*}2y+x&=5\\
4x+x&=5\\
5x&=5\\
x&=1\end{align*}

Then substitute this into either (1) or (2) to get the y-coordinate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users