Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Practical - HSN forum

Practical

18 replies to this topic

#1 jackie88m

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

has any1 done the practical. ive just started it n am really confused. lol i anit the brightest spark in the book. lol

#2 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

as in the coursework?

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

as in the thing we cannot give u answers to

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 jackie88m

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

lol. u can if u want!! lol

#5 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

State your problem nice and clearly and we'll try to help biggrin.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

If you want the answers PM me wink.gif

#7 jackie88m

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

ive got to write a program that takes in five internal hard drives and finds the fastest drive. i dont get how to pass parameters. LOL

#8 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

What language? Is the function argument an array of hard drive speeds, or will you be passed 5 separate variables? ohmy.gif

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

IIRC it's an array they need to pass, although i am going on the powers of over hearing lol

#10 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Well if that's the case, all you'll need to do is set a temporary variable to the first element in the array, and loop through the rest of the elements and check on each iteration if the current element is less than the temporary variable. If it is, move the value of the current element into the temporary variable and continue looping (if required).

As for parameter passing, when you call a procedure that takes parameters, think of the program putting your variables into a box, calling the procedure, then the procedure takes the variables out of the box. That's the general concept anyway.

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

Remembering there is two types

one where the procedure takes in the value and makes a local copy ( by value) this means the value for the parameter passed in is not updated

The other one is by reference where you pass in a pointer of where the variable is and when the procedure wants to use it, it goes to where it is store. This method updates the value of the variable

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Tell me this is uni computing and not the new higher course!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#13 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

It's the new higher, the course work task is pants. Last years was piss easy and so is this years lol

#14 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

No, if you think this is uni computing then you are in for a surprise. My uni computing practical for this week is to build a TCP Multi Protocol Tester GUI with Java. With the SMTP, finger, echo, daytime and chargen to be implemented as clients. The GUI must also use interfaces and exception handlers and since Java is Object Oriented and not Event driven like VB. I agree with sodium_ho, the practical you guys have is easy for this year, and it was even easier when i did it!

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

your at St andrews then. At strath we have a very very slow course in first year but it picks up somewhat in second year.

#16 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, we do have a very fast paced first year :-(. The last practical is to do a web server in Java. How does this compare to what you did at the end of first year at Strathy? I think we continue at that pace tho, i have been hearing loads of horror stories about 2nd year comp sci at St Andrews :-(

#17 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

At Edinburgh we only started Java back in mid January and just finished the course (building user friendly GUI's that manipulate PostgreSQL databases and before that we were building our own ASCii Game which was fun). Nothing too difficult, but I think we're starting networking and Java in September. Then back to Haskell and Functional Programming in January. pinch.gif

#18 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

whereas strath is totally different we have quite a large amount of time spent on computer systems and organisation stuff and then low level machines and low level programming not to mention the logic stuff in the first two years

#19 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

My first year at St Andrews has been Java and UML class diagrams plus software engineering development issues in the first semester. This semester has been XHTML 1.1, CGI-Common Gateway Interface (in java) Computer Networking - protocols, security, layered models TCP, Java Network programming and GUI/event driven programming. We also cover applets, concurency (Threads in Java, doing more than one thing at a time), XML (only a little, more of a background for the XHTML) and general history of the web. In second year we use Macs with UNIX and start looking at ADT's and programming language theory in semester 1, in second semester we study programming in C and systems architecture and some more formal logic from the first semester. Other module in Advanced Internet programming covers things like Javascript and other stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users