Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Welcome - HSN forum

Welcome

25 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

Since most people are starting their new subjects tomorrow, I thought it would be a good idea to open a discussion top for people to talk about anything related to Higher Computing.

For people starting Higher Computing for the first time this year, I recommend the Scholar website Here .

I also recommend the Leckie & Leckie past papers as they give you a clear idea of the level of knowledge required for your exam.

The course it split up into two compulsory units and one optional unit:
  • Unit 1 - The Software Development Process
  • Unit 2 - Computer Systems
  • Unit 3* - Artificial Intelligence/Computing Networking/Computer Programming/Multimedia Technology
*Your school will study one of these optional units, however I've heard recently from my computing teacher that the SQA may be changing the Higher Computing course so everyone does the exact same course and the exact same questions in the final exam. I am uncertain when this is meant to be taken into effect (even if it is going to be taken into effect in the first place).

I found the course very enjoyable and very informative. I've found out much more about how the 'insides' of the computer work.

If you feel you want to discuss anything remotely connected to Higher Computing then feel free, and this topic isn't only for people studying computing this year, people who have already studied it feel free to post!
biggrin.gif

#2 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:07 PM

The course has in fact been completely changed and I think it begins this year. The optional sections have not been removed completely yet but I think one or two of the least popular choices are being removed from the exam.

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:14 PM

Yes multimedia is being refoormed but not removed as is computer networking.
Computer programming and AI will however remain the smae.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

If you want more info, go to the SQa website where they have the new arrangements and new style of practice question paper.

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:34 PM

Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure the Computer Programming section is being discontinued and that this work has been moved to the new Advanced Higher course (which incedently won't start this year)

Two versions of the course will be running this year, the old higher (ie the one we all sat this year) and a new course (of which you can find out the details of, along with a specimen question paper at the SQA site)
Mark

#6 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

Hmm. Sounds interesting.

#7 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (sparky @ Jun 6 2004, 07:34 PM)
Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure the Computer Programming section is being discontinued and that this work has been moved to the new Advanced Higher course (which incedently won't start this year)

Two versions of the course will be running this year, the old higher (ie the one we all sat this year) and a new course (of which you can find out the details of, along with a specimen question paper at the SQA site)

I think you're right.

Firstly theres always a transition year where both are offered.

Secondly programming I heard is removed from H cos hardly anyone is answering q's on it compared to the other sections.

#8 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 6 2004, 07:59 PM)

From my understanding this is not the case, as there is no dual running for Higher Info Systems this year.

Steve and I have been looking at the new course, and it seems that it's basically been brought up to date to include recent developments, and some things have been moved about (eg more networking in the Systems unit). I also understand the NABs will be entirely multiple choice, to reduce the assessment burden. There is a practical component in each unit, which is assessed by a teacher's "checklist".

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

no there definetely is going to be a duel running course of Higher Computing next year

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (George @ Jun 6 2004, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 6 2004, 07:59 PM)

From my understanding this is not the case, as there is no dual running for Higher Info Systems this year.

Steve and I have been looking at the new course, and it seems that it's basically been brought up to date to include recent developments, and some things have been moved about (eg more networking in the Systems unit). I also understand the NABs will be entirely multiple choice, to reduce the assessment burden. There is a practical component in each unit, which is assessed by a teacher's "checklist".

i didnt like the multiple choice nabs in computing

theres no even multiple choice in the final exam: they shud try to make it the same format as the exam where appropriate

#11 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:36 PM

Yes, there is dual running for Higher Computing - but not for Higher Info Systems which has also been changed. This has actually caused a lot of argument between teachers and the SQA, but that's another matter. tongue.gif

As for the multiple choice NABs, it's true that they're not good practice for exams. I think the idea is to make it easier for teachers to mark, but it might be the case that teachers will have to set (and mark) their own A/B level end-of-unit assessments anyway, if they want to give their students better practice.

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:42 PM

Can you explain to me what is meant by 'dual running'?:

Me = v. stupid! blink.gif

#13 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:18 AM

when i sat an AI MCQ NAB lots of official answers were wrong!

#14 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:15 PM

Dual running means that there will be 2 Higher Computing courses running at the one time.
One for the existing Higher, and the other for the new Higher format.
Mark

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:20 PM

lol, thanks!

Stupid me! tongue.gif

#16 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

objective testing is the future because the answer cannot be half right and half wrong hence they are called objective

Look at driving theory tests and other such things it is used in all forms of basic testing of people

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#17 Wee_Stephi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Goin out with mates havin a laugh; chilling; goin shoppin; seeing the bf when av got one hehe :P; getting drunk (A)

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

Hey could anyone recommend any online revision notes for higher computing other than webcal or scholar? Cause i think they are really borin and have too much stuff to read.

Thanks
Stephanie xx cool.gif

user posted image

x-stephi-x@hotmail.com

#18 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

I don't like Scholar, I think it is far too technical and full of jargon. Webcal is very good though, and I highly recommend it.

There are not many online resources for higher computing, all I can recommend is pastpapers as a lot of the questions are repeated year after year.

I also recommend that you purchase 'New Higher Computing' by John Walsh, your school will probably supply you with one, but it's always good to have your own copy so you can scribble extra notes on it.

#19 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:33 PM

yea i agree with u fearfactor, scholar is too detailed and there are defo not enuf online GOOD revision sites

#20 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:34 PM

the txtbook is really good, but u still need 2 extract the relevant bits and make up ur own notes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users