Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The Info Systems Course - HSN forum

The Info Systems Course

17 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:13 PM

Whats harder : Computing Higher or Info Systems Higher?

Im thinking of doing Computing next year and probably won't bother to do it if it's too hard but it's got a practical (how much is it worth, iif anyone knows?)

Also how much is the coursework for Info Systems worth? Does anyone know how they work it out?

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:28 PM

I've only done Higher Info Systems, so I don't really know if it's any harder or easier than Computing - I suppose it would be different for everyone. I found Info Systems OK, as it really relies on being able to learn some facts and waffle about them. Normalising is straightforward enough once you get into it.

As for the coursework, it counts for 30% of your overall grade.

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

How is hypermedia , is it like Info Org or is it harder?

#4 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hypermedia is split into two sections

The first is a bit like Information Organisation in that you learn about developments and uses of hypermedia systems. The Hypermedia section in the exam always has Info Org based questions in it e.g. characteristics of information

The next section is about 3 'hypertext models', these being Dexter, Amsterdam and the World Wide Web.

Dexter and Amsterdam are two very complex hypothetical theories of how a hypermedia system is built. Personally I think it's very difficult to understand and figure out... but if you learn up definitions and functions its not really that hard.

The WWW is obviously something more people are familiar with and it's touched on in Info Org. So there you learn about the uses of the WWW, its drawbacks, the future of it, URLs, web protocols, HTML etc...

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

Have nothing better to do tonight! I am going out tommorow night, and seen this for the Information Systems course. Thought it might help some people.

Information Systems: Higher

Why Information Systems?

Information and its associated technology has been widely identified as having a unique and key role in many aspects of modern life. This course allows you to gain experience of information theory and contemporary information systems such as expert systems. It is therefore a valuable course to take if you are planning a career in this field.

Entry to the Course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained one of the following

Intermediate 2 Information Systems units or course
Standard Grade Computing Studies at Credit level.

Course Outline

The course is made up of three 40 hour units plus 40 hours flexible time.

Compulsory Units

Data base Systems
This unit provides you with

an opportunity to develop simple relational databases systems using contemporary database software
an introduction to database models and organisation
an introduction to query languages and how they are implemented in the various forms of database software available
the opportunity to develop skills in the production of database systems

Information Organisation

This unit is concerned with

the attributes of information
sources of information (including on-line services)
flow of information within organisations
the design of information systems
the legislation relating to data, together with social, ethical and legal considerations.

Optional Units
One to be selected.

Computer Application Software

This unit gives you the opportunity to

learn about the selection, installation and customisation of contemporary application software
explore a range of computer programs
evaluate specific software products.

Expert Systems
This unit allows you to

investigate the uses of expert systems
develop skills in solving problems through the construction of expert systems.

Hypermedia

This unit gives you the opportunity to

study the history and design of hypermedia systems
construct a hypermedia application using a range of contemporary software tools.

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking, Planning and Organising)
H IT (Using Information Technology) *

*Contained only in an optional unit.

Assessment

The course is assessed by a combination of internal and external assessment including an examination set and marked by the SQA.
Mark

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

Does anyone know how the coursework grade for Info Systems works?

I know that it counts for 30% of the overall grade, and that they scale your mark down. The exam is out of 70 , so i suppose your grade is out of 100. But im not sure how they work out the overall grade.

I've been told by a teacher that the grade is more weighted to the exam side, so that even if you still do well in the coursework and not well in the final then you're likely to fail.

For example if you get 100% in your coursework (30/30), theoretically you would need 40 marks in the exam to acheive an A. I have, however, been told that this untrue as its more weighted to the final exam (making it even harder for us).
:angry: :angry:

Is anyone familiar with the grading bit?

Can anyone help...

#7 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:31 PM

As far as I'm aware, it works just like your example.

Basically, the result of your coursework is scaled to a mark out of 30. Then, your mark from the exam (out of 70) is added to this to give your final mark out of 100.

So from my understanding, you're right - getting 90-100% in the coursework means you need a little over 60% in the exam to get an A. Really, you want to try and get as many marks as you can in them both, though!

#8 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:37 PM

Remember to bear in mind Higher Information Systems is classed as a relatively easy subject, therefore the cut off scores are slightly above the notional 50/60/70 scores.

Last year the cut offs were:

A - 73/100 (73%)
B - 63/100 (63%)
C - 53/100 (53%)

That's including both the external exam (70 marks) added to the coursework (30 marks) to give a total mark out of 100.

#9 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

I thought Info Systems was a low scoring subject?

Wasn't the average score 34.4/70 which is less than 50%, which is very low scoring and also poor. It was even lower in 2002 I think!

Anyway, have u seen the A boundary for Chemistry? Much higher compared to Info Systems.

Last year it was 77% for an A which I think is just too high, considering they put quite a few solid A type questions in to test the top candidates!

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

Just another point...

Have u seen the 2002 paper anyway? I didn't know we needed to know about 2NF and 3NF, yet they are still tested.

Also I was quite unsure about the Report generation question : we haven't done that either.

Ally

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:53 PM

But in Chemistry the C boundary's been down at 49% for the last two years, It seems odd the way the SQA work these things out!

Mark
Mark

#12 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

I've not really looked at past papers in great detail (I sat Info Systems last year, and there was no past paper book), though I think I know what you mean. There was a question in my prelim which asked about 2NF.

The arrangements for the course specify that we should be aware of normal forms up to third, but in practice we only need to be able to do 1NF in an exam. This means you can still be asked questions like "What is 2NF?", and even to pick out an example from the 1NF model.

It's a small point, and I suppose it's unlikely to come up. However, I understand the new Higher Info Systems course (starting in 2005/06) will require you to go up to 3NF in the exam, so count yourself lucky!

#13 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:55 PM

Ally, the report generation question is basically asking "How do you produce this report?"

Your teacher may not have taught you the 'theory' behind this, but you'll have done it in your coursework for the Database Systems assessment so that's where the SQA draw that question from.

All you have to do is describe what you'd do in a database package...describe the entities and the attributes you would use to produce the report, any additional attributes you may need to perform a process to make, and then use that query to produce the report.

Admittedly, the answers for that question are somewhat confusing and I don't particularly agree with them either!

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

George, on Apr 4 2004, 01:31 PM, said:

So from my understanding, you're right - getting 90-100% in the coursework means you need a little over 60% in the exam to get an A.
Hi

I'm still quite unsure about this grading thing, because to get an A means that you could get 57% in the final exam and still get an A if you got 100% in your coursework (which a few people in my class got).

It just doesn't seem right...

#15 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:14 PM

You've got the right idea, but last year you needed 73% overall to get an A. This meant that if you had achieved 100% in the coursework, you needed 61% in the exam to get an A.

The average coursework mark last year was 78% but the average exam mark was less than 50%. So if you do well in both parts of the exam (compared to everyone else) then you deserve an A. :P
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#16 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

Is Information Systems enjoyable? or is it pretty dull and boring?
I never picked it for next year but might change a few things to take it, if it sounded worth while and relaxing! lol. Does it need a lot of work or is the exam fairly straighforward talking about KU concepts?
Mark

#17 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:14 PM

I didn't take Info Systems until S6 and I find it quite easy. I think it's a good subject to pick up in S6, and most people in my class (who are all sixth years) find it reasonably OK.

There is a mixture of completely knowledge based questions and completely problem solving based ones. The knowledge questions are faily straightforward and it's quite easy to learn the answers to them as the same questions seem to come up often. The Database Systems part of the exam is mostly problem solving, but it's a learnable process (Normalisation) which is always tested.

There is quite a bit of practical work in with relational databases (which I found interesting :P) and with application software (if you do the Computer Applications Software optional unit). The CAS practicals can be really boring if you are confident with computers - for the practical part of the NAB, you have to install a piece of software and customise it by adding toolbars and creating a macro.

The coursework assesses your practical application of what you've learnt and counts for 30% of your grade - which means you can have a good number of marks before going in to sit the exam.

I would say that Info Systems is one of the easiest Highers I've sat (though I've not done the exam yet!). I think it helps being in S6 when you sit it - my class, which is all S6 done better in the prelim than the other Higher class which is all S5.

If you are reasonably confident with computers then I think it would be quite an enjoyable subject to take.

Hope this helps.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#18 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:36 PM

Thanks I'm taking Higher Info Systems next year. I've already done Computing and Business so should do ok. Thanks for telling me how the grade works. It should be a breeze, especially compared to a Higher I've done (still doing) in S5 - the aforementioned scary Chemistry. laugh.gif
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users