Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
music composition - HSN forum

music composition

11 replies to this topic

#1 Klass Clown

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Lods... Im pretty much interested by everything but my main hobbies are:<br />-Art, of course, creating and observing.<br />-Music (I tend to be flexible when it comes to genres but Im a massive hip-hop fan)<br />-Sadly, politics (always taken an interest)<br />-And since studying Higher History Ive become very interested and fascinated by Nazi Germany (and all those crazy wee Neo-Nazi cults)<br />-Ive resently developed a craze for chuck taylors as well.<br /><br />Well thats basicaly it, obviously Im in to movies and reading and stuff like that but I presume most people are. (Oh, and the internet but most people on here probably are - lol... yeah that was kinda rubbish.)

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

does any1 kno any sites where you can get tips on composing? my composition is due in soon and im having trouble with chords. huh.gif
All or Nothing.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

tbh i am not sure there is much out there

Can you tell us exactly what you are having trouble with perhaps sharon or myself or someone else who has done/doing music can help

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Check out http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/ for examples of compositions...

What problems are you having with chords? How good is your music theory?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 Punkie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Music, psychology, hugs... Guitars... stuff... :)

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Just a little input from me, which isn't important, but still, nothing much else to say. Remember your composition doesn't have to sound good, it just has to involve concepts and do something. unlike mine, which ddin't do much, still got a B, but I think that's what pulled me down. My AH one's even worse, and due in on monday along with my listening commentary which as of yet I've not started... *sighs* used to be my fave subject, slowly turning into the biggest stress machine I've encountered.

#5 dusty_pumpkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

In SG I got a 1 and it didn't have a proper melody!

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

pfft....my teacher gave me a 3 for inventing...only because i had to re-do it after she deleted it off the MD player mad.gif ...i still got an overall 1 tho biggrin.gif

#7 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

I can't remember doing inventing in standard grade music. huh.gif I got a 1 for it though.

It was actually my favouritest part of the Higher course too. And I also got mine played by the string orchestra for the christmas concert which was amazing - its a great feeling! wink.gif

My inventing this year was one big piece for a string quintet, consisting of about 6 sections. The first few parts were in 4/4 and they had a kind of scottishy taste to them and it was all harmonising and stuff. Then it moves into a fast jig which I thought would be a nice touch. (Dave here made the good suggestion to make the jig even faster than I had originally thought!) It ends on another contrasting slower part in 3/4 timing which is actually rather like a hymn tune. huh.gif The whole thing has lots of layers of melodies and things.

I have a midi file of it (just the sibelius sounds) somewhere if you were interested.

Its not grade A standard I dont think. i dont have a clue really but I enjoyed doing it!

#8 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 18 2006, 11:16 AM) View Post

I can't remember doing inventing in standard grade music. huh.gif I got a 1 for it though.

It was actually my favouritest part of the Higher course too. And I also got mine played by the string orchestra for the christmas concert which was amazing - its a great feeling! wink.gif

My inventing this year was one big piece for a string quintet, consisting of about 6 sections. The first few parts were in 4/4 and they had a kind of scottishy taste to them and it was all harmonising and stuff. Then it moves into a fast jig which I thought would be a nice touch. (Dave here made the good suggestion to make the jig even faster than I had originally thought!) It ends on another contrasting slower part in 3/4 timing which is actually rather like a hymn tune. huh.gif The whole thing has lots of layers of melodies and things.

I have a midi file of it (just the sibelius sounds) somewhere if you were interested.

Its not grade A standard I dont think. i dont have a clue really but I enjoyed doing it!
I would like to hear it smile.gif
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

my inventing is all brassy cos well tht is what i do. I did about 5 smaller pieces for SG and one big one for higher. Sharons piece is pretty good considering she did the last 2 thirds in about 5 minutes tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

Yeah it was a bit of a rush. As usual, I left it to the last minute.

Maybe that'll be obvious unsure.gif

my inventing

its only in sibelius sounds remember - imagine it were real...and you were hearing the first violin starting, 2nd violin coming in,.... followed by the viola.....then cello adding the chords....ETC.

what im trying to say is.....use your imagination! It sounds better when played in the real! wink.gif

#11 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

mad.gif i cant hear it...and i dunno why

#12 ilyash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Klass Clown @ Mar 6 2006, 06:57 PM) View Post
does any1 kno any sites where you can get tips on composing? my composition is due in soon and im having trouble with chords. huh.gif

Take a look at Musical Palette - Melody Composing Tool.
This program is based on the harmony theory and composition theory. The program has very simple inteface.
Also there are demo scripts, which show how to use the program interface and how to compose.
Site of the program.

Here is screenshot of the program:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users