Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Forensic Science - HSN forum

Forensic Science

15 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:24 PM

I'm quite interested in making a career out of this, and have been for several years. I'm doing my highers at the moment (English/Chemistry/Geography/Maths/Physics) but my school haven't really told us much about where to start/what to do/or who to ask about university (I'm interested in going to Glasgow uni) so most of what I've read on the situation hasn't meant much to me.

Could somebody briefly explain how I'd go about doing this, what I'd need/what courses to apply for etc and if possible provide some relevant links? I have no idea where to start.

I would greatly appreciate that.

Cheers.

#2 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Betinho @ Mar 1 2006, 07:24 PM)
I'm quite interested in making a career out of this, and have been for several years.  I'm doing my highers at the moment (English/Chemistry/Geography/Maths/Physics) but my school haven't really told us much about where to start/what to do/or who to ask about university (I'm interested in going to Glasgow uni) so most of what I've read on the situation hasn't meant much to me.

Could somebody briefly explain how I'd go about doing this, what I'd need/what courses to apply for etc and if possible provide some relevant links?  I have no idea where to start.

Cheers.

View Post

I'm not certain that Glasgow do a specific forensic science course, but you could do chemistry and follow it up with training. The only scottish uni I can remember doing Forensics as a course is the RGU in Aberdeen.

Try the UCAS website, under "course search". smile.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#3 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ Mar 1 2006, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE(Betinho @ Mar 1 2006, 07:24 PM)
I'm quite interested in making a career out of this, and have been for several years.  I'm doing my highers at the moment (English/Chemistry/Geography/Maths/Physics) but my school haven't really told us much about where to start/what to do/or who to ask about university (I'm interested in going to Glasgow uni) so most of what I've read on the situation hasn't meant much to me.

Could somebody briefly explain how I'd go about doing this, what I'd need/what courses to apply for etc and if possible provide some relevant links?  I have no idea where to start.

Cheers.

View Post

I'm not certain that Glasgow do a specific forensic science course, but you could do chemistry and follow it up with training. The only scottish uni I can remember doing Forensics as a course is the RGU in Aberdeen.

Try the UCAS website, under "course search". smile.gif

View Post

Forensic and Analytical Chemistry would be a good one to do, wouldn't it? Strathclyde university does that course.

#4 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

there's also a forensic biology course at strathclyde. i'm doing intro to forensics as an elective this year, & its really interesting.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#5 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:37 AM

Yeah there are Forensic Science courses at Strathclyde. Forensics is a really interesting subject area but there's very few jobs in that area in Britain so you'll need to be prepared to work your butt off to be the best smile.gif
You should look into doing chemistry related degree with electives in forensics if your not 100% sure thats what you want to do. Doing an elective in psychology could also be an advantage to a forensics degree, just for a bit of background knowledge. My big cousin is a Forensic Psychologist - pretty scary people she has to work with, but she loves it.
Careers advisors at school are useless, check out different uni prospectus, and try emailing chemistry departments at various universities - they will point you in the right direction for whatever info you need.

#6 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

I'm a bio/chem student at Glasgow Uni and they're going to introduce a Forensics course in the next year or two I think. A girl I knew from school is at Cali doing Forensics.
There aren't that many jobs in Forensics though so it might be better to have a back-up. I don't know if this is right but could you not do a degree in medicine and become a pathologist and have more chance of a job? No idea if that's true btw!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#7 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Ther eis only 130 odd jobs with forensics in Scotland.

I was thinking of doign the same thing and the advice I got given was to do a science degree then do a post grad in forensics.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#8 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Ever since CSI started screening on terrestrial TV applications for Forensic science courses shot up lol.

#9 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

....thats because CSI is the best program EVER!

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

yeh there is hardly any actual jobs the police have something like 100 in TOTAL. I had a pal who wanted to do it once

yeh there is hardly any actual jobs the police have something like 100 in TOTAL. I had a pal who wanted to do it once

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

^ Trying to invent a new form of double posting? laugh.gif

#12 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

if you double post now, i think it merges them automatically unsure.gif

#13 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

Thats clever.

Computers these days!

#14 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

I got accepted into Strathclyde for Forensic Biology (starting sept. 2006). The good thing is that it is also a biomedical science course; so even if i cant get a job in forensics, i will have the biomedical science as a back up.

#15 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:21 AM

...may I had how jelous I am right now.

#16 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:20 PM

There's now Computing Forensics as well, like tracking down criminals who use computers to launder money etc...

Think Strathclyde were offering it as a post grad.
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users