An idependant scotland

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland become an idependant country again? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland become an idependant country again?

1. yes (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. no (14 votes [60.87%])

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

What on earth!? Did hell just freeze over!?

#22 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(gizmo @ Mar 3 2006, 08:24 PM)
i don't think you read that properly because acturally i think the english parliment kinda runs the rest.
gizmo
x

View Post

No i was correcting you, as there is no English Parlaiment. There is a devolved Scottish Parlaiment, a Northern Irish Assembly, a Welsh Assembly, and a United Kingdom Parlaiment, but no English Parlaiment

QUOTE(Dave @ Mar 3 2006, 10:23 PM)
hmm i dont know if what you say would work john. Certainly PPP is a very bad idea as we will be paying council tax forever to pay rent on public buildings its just wrong

I dont think there is a need to increase the workforce as i believe there is a lot of unemployment (i guess you mean professionals and stuff but still)

View Post

I never said PFI and PPP was a bad idea, i am infact in favour of them, but they could still do with some improvements.

And i mean the general workforce, but by encouraging businesses to set up camp here the unemployment rate will be lowered. If businesses are trying to compete with each other, they will need the best employess possible, so to attract the best employees they will need to have high wages/salaries.

QUOTE(Scott @ Mar 4 2006, 10:37 AM)
What on earth!? Did hell just freeze over!?

View Post

Elaborate please, what has gotten you all upset Scotty Boy?

#23 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(Sodium_Ho @ Mar 4 2006, 02:24 PM)
And i mean the general workforce, but by encouraging businesses to set up camp here the unemployment rate will be lowered.  If businesses are trying to compete with each other, they will need the best employess possible, so to attract the best employees they will need to have high wages/salaries.

View Post

But at first you said that we should attract the workforce before investment from businesses. That would cause the average wage to be driven down as an overcrowded job market would force workers to compete for increasingly scarce employment opportunities.

#24 Isla from Banff

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm at the University of Aberdeen studying Biology with Chemistry and Psychology, I live in Aberdeen in a private rented flat (i'm too good for halls lol) and I work at Pizza Hut just up the road from my flat!<br /><br />I've recently gotten really into Neighbours thanks to my flatmate and in return I've gotten her into Hollyoaks! Hahaha revenge is sweet! lol<br /><br />I'm a big music fan and I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. I'm really into Snow Patrol and The Kooks just now and yes I know I'm a loser but i don't care!<br /><br />I'm a tennor drummer with Turriff and District Pipe Band. We're only a grade 3 band but I wouldn't move bands if you paid me. We had a really good season this year as we are the North of Scotland Champion of Champions!!!!<br /><br />I love meeting new people so add me on msn if you want i don't mind.

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

I think that it's pathetic that we don't really get a chance to do anything without having to clear it with the bloody english!!!! lol I think that Scotland should be given the chance to become independant even if it doesn't happen in the current generation!!! Like everything else it aint likely to happen anytime soon though!!!!

xx
I'm not a tease i'm just a reminder of what you can't please!!!!!

#25 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Mar 4 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Sodium_Ho @ Mar 4 2006, 02:24 PM)
And i mean the general workforce, but by encouraging businesses to set up camp here the unemployment rate will be lowered. If businesses are trying to compete with each other, they will need the best employess possible, so to attract the best employees they will need to have high wages/salaries.
View Post

But at first you said that we should attract the workforce before investment from businesses. That would cause the average wage to be driven down as an overcrowded job market would force workers to compete for increasingly scarce employment opportunities.

I never really explained what i meant very well sad.gif

But in the end it is a catch 22 really. To attract business you would need employable people(the unemployed) but to attract more workers you would need available jobs.

But really you have to try as hard as possible to attract both at the same time, easier sdaid than done though.

Although technically we are already independant thanks to a little piece of Scot's Law which states that to be a monarch of Scotland you must be crowned in Scotland. Although i'm going on info i was given years ago so it may be wrong lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users