Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prize Giving - HSN forum - Page 2

Prize Giving

216 replies to this topic

#21 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 6 2004, 01:34 PM)
What do you guys get as prizes? Do you just get certificates, or do you get an actual prize? At my school, Standard grade prizes get £15 worth of book tokens per prize, and for Higher it's £20 worth of book tokens per prize. Last year I got the Standard Grade prizes for English, History and German, and with my book tokens I bought a medical encyclopedia! smile.gif

ohmy.gif a certificate and a pat on the back

optimisations problems - i think its calculus problems (e.g. differentiation)

#22 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:38 PM)
Thats so unfair. No we get certificates and thats it. I cant use that thing I got 89% in for appeal as it was only worth 100 marks. Everything depends on the exam and even if I do get the endeavour I dont get any reward and my parents are not rewarding me unless I get at least 3 As. If I get that I get about £50! But I think I'm only gonna get 2 As!

even tho its some marks short its fine

they can use it

as long as there is an adequate proportion of A/B coverage and all outcomes are assessed then you should get the appeal as long as there is also appropriate cut-offs, marking schemes enclosed etc

#23 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:40 PM

Ok, we never called them that in Higher Maths at our school so I was unsure.

#24 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

Yeh optimisation problems is when u differentiate a formulae to find the maximum or minimum volume of a shape. Its 30 marks short and their wasnt enough units 1 and 2 in it! I got a B in my prelim which didnt have enough unit 3 in it so we did a unit 3 test worth about 30 marks. Then we did this thing to reitterate unit 3
Most of it was on unit 3
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#25 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:38 PM)
I'm not entirely sure but there are three of us joint winner for the physics prize,

First place is £100 and Second place is £50, so they added the 2 prizes together and divided by 3 so it's £50 each for the joint winner for the physics prize.

Wow! Is it book tokens or actual money?

#26 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

if you get the top mark for a subject nationally you can win £500 for most higher subjects

#27 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:44 PM

It's money. I'm also the winner of the Dr. Montgomery Prize for Maths, and I think you get £100 for that. I'll let you know on the 18th, if so, the drinks are on me! biggrin.gif

#28 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:41 PM)
if you get the top mark for a subject nationally you can win £500 for most higher subjects

Where did you find that out?

#29 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

O my god I so want that! Please computing have done that for me. Very unlikely but anyway. One can hope

#30 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

A person at my school got the highest mark in Scotland for Higher Music and he got £100.

#31 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (fearfactor47 @ Jun 6 2004, 01:44 PM)
It's money.  I'm also the winner of the Dr. Montgomery Prize for Maths, and I think you get £100 for that.  I'll let you know on the 18th, if so, the drinks are on me!  biggrin.gif

What school do you go to? This hardly seems fair lol! sad.gif

#32 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 6 2004, 01:45 PM)

Where did you find that out?

Teachers

Unfortunately its usually private school students who always seem to get it mad.gif

I know for sure they do it for H Biology and Chemisty

I have heard that it applies to most Higher subjects that are high in popularity

The money comes from sponsors not the SQA e.g. insitute of biology, royal society of chemistry etc

#33 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

I don't think the school give out any money to students, the money from winning prizes comes from organizations. I.e. Dr Montgomery from Irvine left money in his will to give money annually to the best person in maths. The prize I'm getting for computing is the 'Irvine Seagute Rotary Trophy" I think it just depends on what organization backs your school up...

#34 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

So they wouldnt do it for Computing?

#35 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

I think they do it for H and AH Computing!

Im not sure how you find out for sure. I suppose the SQA tell you as they presumably pass on the information directly to these organisations.

#36 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:52 PM

I immagine they would, but you would have to have got every question correct more than likely and I don't think you find out for a while. The person that got the highest mark for music in Scotland (who goes to my school) found out at assembly that he got the highest mark a few weels ago, and he sat the exam in 2003....

#37 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

Usually you find out September-November

#38 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

I thought they didn't tell you how well you done in a subject... blink.gif

#39 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:55 PM

Aw. Well we can but hope. I mean £500 or even £100 is a lot of money to me!
That'd easily pay for my past papers for next year and that drama course!
See for computing, can you ask our school how much u got in your coursework, think they'd tell u?

#40 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (ally @ Jun 6 2004, 01:54 PM)

I thought they didn't tell you how well you done in a subject... blink.gif

Only if you get the top mark.

Unless you are taking a subject with component marks this year e.g. AH Chemistry in August you can find out exact mark for Section A, Section B and Report.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users