Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Hess's law - HSN forum

Hess's law

9 replies to this topic

#1 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:duno really, dont have alot of time: with exams etc + most of my spare time is spent trying to get as much practical experience so as to get into vet school(hopefully)

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

HELP, would really appreciate it if someone could do this question.

Calculate the enthlapy of ethanol, C2h5OH, using the enthlapies of combustion of carbon and hydrogen and the ebthlapy of formation of ethanol.
(NOTE: Dont't forget to count the oxygen present in ethanol when balancing the combustion equation!)

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:09 PM)
HELP, would really appreciate it if someone could do this question.

Calculate the enthlapy of ethanol, C2h5OH, using the enthlapies of combustion of carbon and hydrogen and the ebthlapy of formation of ethanol.
(NOTE: Dont't forget to count the oxygen present in ethanol when balancing the combustion equation!)

View Post

It would help if you gave us those enthalpies needed.

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

I think this is what you do:

2C(s) + 2O2(g) --> 2CO2
delta.gif H = -(394*2)kJ (because 394 is the value for one mole, 394*2 is the value for two moles of graphite combusting)

6H2 + 3O2 --> 6H2O
delta.gif H = (-286*6)kJ (as before, except multiplied by six as there are six moles of hydrgoen combusting)

2CO2 + 6H2O --> C2H5OH + (9/2)O2
delta.gif H = + 1378kJ (because you have flipped the equation around, you have to change the sign for the enthalpy change)

Combine these equations:

2C(s) + 2O2(g) + 6H2 + 3O2 + 2CO2 + 6H2O --> 2CO2 + 6H2O + C2H5OH + (9/2)O2

Cancel stuff out to get:

2C(s) + 6H2 + (1/2)O2 --> C2H5OH
delta.gif H = (-394*2) + (-286*6) + 1378 kJ/mol
delta.gif H = -1126 kJ/mol

I really hate this type of question.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#4 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:duno really, dont have alot of time: with exams etc + most of my spare time is spent trying to get as much practical experience so as to get into vet school(hopefully)

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

Thanks ad that really helped. biggrin.gif I dont mind hess's law but that question was annoyin me cse the equtions wouldnt balance.

BTW wedge if i had the enthlapies i would hav posted them!! tongue.gif

#5 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(doug_90 @ Feb 24 2006, 05:33 PM)
Thanks ad that really helped. biggrin.gif  I dont mind hess's law but that question was annoyin me cse the equtions wouldnt balance.

BTW wedge if i had the enthlapies i would hav posted them!! tongue.gif

View Post

You're welcome. If you're looking for enthalpy values, then the data booklet has a few and I think we only get asked questions which can be solved using these ones.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#6 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

is it enphalthy( bad spellings) that you can work out by using albergare?
gizmo
x
(sorry terrible spellings!)

if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

albergare?

#8 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM)
albergare?

Algebra, perhaps? huh.gif

#9 doug_90

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

thats the one gizmo. dont worry guys as long as some of us can interpret gizmo's ramblings tongue.gif

#10 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

hey i make sense! most of the time, if only some listened boy! lol. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif laugh.gif u know who you are! so is it?
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users