Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Most difficult Highers? - HSN forum

Most difficult Highers?

38 replies to this topic

#1 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just wondering which of their Highers everybody is finding the most challenging... and also the ones that you've heard are the hardest. When I was still doing my Standard Grades I heard that English and Chemistry were the most difficult, but now that I'm studying it I actually find English alright and my friends that took Chemistry say that's not too bad either. What does everyone else think?

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:18 PM

In 2004, Music had the highest pass rate for a Higher subject with >1,000 candidates with 93% passing. Spanish and French weren't far behind with 86% each, and Physical Education was up there too with 82% passing. In contrast, English only had a pass rate of 66%, the lowest pass rate for subjects with >1,000 candidates. Information Systems and Drama had the lowest percentage of people getting As (only 12%, again only including subjects with >1,000 candidates). Music and French had the highest percentage of people achieving As, with 46% achieving an A for Music, and 42% achieiving an A for French.

In 2005 Music again had the highest pass rate for a subject with >1,000 candidates (again 93% of candidates passed).
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

Wow, that's really interesting! Where did you get those figures? I'd love to see the previous pass rates of my subjects...

I suppose it's not surprising that English has a lower percentage of people passing since a lot of people take it because they need it to get into university, not because they like it or are good at it.

I still don't think it's as difficult as some other Highers, though!

#4 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

You can get figures from this page...

SQA Statistics 2005

You can get statistics from other years as well by selecting from the drop down menu at the end of the list.

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

English regularly has a low pass rate. Chemistryand Physics experience low pass rates and a high drop-out rate early on so they are quite hard.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

I think everyone needs to bare in mind that everyone is good at different things. Certain subjects get a reputation for being hard and that reputation sticks, so everyone in the following years comes in with their minds made up a mental block "because its a hard subject". Thats rubbish! I do physics at uni and everyone always says "Wow you must be super smart"! Yeah I've always been good at it but thats due to being interested and hard working. However if I tried to do an "easy" subject like drama or some arts degree at uni then I'd get kicked out at the end of first year because of my inability to write a decent essay.
I work as a tutor for students doing their standard grades and highers, and I would say 70% of my work is trying to persuade these students that its just a mental block, helping them overcome this and motivate them to do more than 10mins studying a week.
Some subjects have high drop out rates because there is such a jump from standard grade to higher. I think this is a big problem in the Scottish education system and think its a better idea where more schools are switching to Int1 and Int2 instead of standard grades.
I failed my Higher English prelim because I had no interest in it and had convinced myself that it was hard and I was rubbish at it. My teacher gave me a good talking to, told me I didn't need to be interested in it, just work my ass off. So I did and I got an A in the final exam.

#7 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

If your interested in it, and enjoy it, it sure does make it alot easier.

#8 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

English is well the hardest.

I have this thing where I find stuff easy once I've done it a while ago.

I failed english half because I didn't revise enough, and secondly because I hadn't been able to stand back and look at it objectively. Now I can do that, since I'm re-taking it. It seems much more formulaic now. It's a bad testing system in english - the whole exam can fail you, even if you are good at an unassessed part of english... tut tut. The creative writing well deserves to be part of the final grade.

Anyway, my point being that I find all subjects much more tricky when I'm doing the coursework, or have done it recently. That is why I hate doing the hardest cousework last.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#9 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

I don't have idea's for creative writing, unfortunately. It's what screwed me in SG.

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

but lucky for you there is no creative writing that is accessed in the higher exams (well it was when i sat it 2 years ago)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Mar 15 2006, 09:23 AM) View Post

but lucky for you there is no creative writing that is accessed in the higher exams (well it was when i sat it 2 years ago)

is there not a creative writing NAB?

im not too sure, as im not doing english this year, but i think there is unsure.gif

#12 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

nope there isn't, you have to pass one of three types of essays though, one is creative and the others are discursive and reflective.

The three NABS are on close reading, textual analysis and personal study.

#13 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

One of the NABs has two parts to it does it not?

One of those you said and the creative/persausiv/reflective essay does it not?

#14 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

I'd say Maths And Modern Studies are my hardest this year! just soo much to learn for modern studies and i failed my maths prelim so im not too confident dry.gif
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

#15 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

Physics is also a bad subject IMO, but i think if i was in another class i might have done a little bit better

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

my hardest last year were english and maths. i just can not write essays to save myself and in maths ... it was just awful...!

#17 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'm finding english is the hardest. Horrible subject.
Maths isn't too bad, I did some work before the prelim and most of it clicked and now I've done all the nabs (nab 3 lat week, nab 2 the week before) it's seeming a lot more straight foreward.And we have all the time left til the exams for revising in class.

Physics isn't too bad as long as I don't think about it too much. I barely understand a word in class but by the next week I normally have an idea of what it was about, even if I can't remember the formulas.

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

The hardest statistically, is apparently Latin, then Physics.

Don't know if that is true though.

#19 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

Chem is KILLING me this year....Ive failed the prelim and there is NO WAY I am goign to pass the final!
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#20 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Sammie @ Apr 9 2006, 01:11 AM) View Post

Chem is KILLING me this year....Ive failed the prelim and there is NO WAY I am goign to pass the final!

I knew someone who failed their prelim badly then got an A on their exam

So you can turn things around if your prepared to put in the work

Be optomistic and fingers crossed you'll do better than you thought!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users