Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Failing Human Bio - HSN forum

Failing Human Bio

7 replies to this topic

#1 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

I got my Human Biology prelim results today and I was really, really disappointed to find that I got a D (although I was 2% off a C rolleyes.gif ). I've pretty much hated the subject since I started it and never really put a lot of effort in, but before the prelims I actually did a fair bit of revision. Obviously it didn't pay off though!

Human Biology is a horrible subject, it makes me feel soo stupid... I feel like my teachers think I'm a bit thick as well. But I'm honestly not, I got an A in the English prelim and even a B in the Maths one that I was positive I'd failed - it's just Biology that I seem to be struggling enormously with.

I didn't do too badly with the multiple choice questions but my essays were pretty appalling. I just find them so difficult because they're always completely unexpected and so different to previous years.

So does anyone have any tips or advice for a panicking, Human Biology-loathing student?! I really want to pass this subject well sad.gif

#2 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

I'm in a similar position myself. I also dislike human biology but decided to fail the prelim so that I wouldn't have to continue it... You will probably find it difficult passing if you dislike biology so much.

#3 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

Do millions and millions of past papers. Bio/Human Bio are stupid subjects in that if your answer isn't basically the EXACT same as the marking scheme, you don't get the mark.

So try to do at least 10 years worth of past papers - you can get the older ones on Amazon/eBay.

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

Make sure you do your work (during term time too), even if you do find it boring. wink.gif

Go over your notes (reading them), re-write them (without looking at your existing notes) and test yourself. When doing multiple choice questions make sure you understand what the question is asking you rather than trying to remember the answers.

One method for doing essays for a topic is to think up of all the keywords relating to that topic and writing them down. Then, from there, you should be able to develop it into an essay.

Try and get hold of as many past papers as you can - do them and mark them, making sure you go over your mistakes.

#5 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

You will probably find it difficult passing if you dislike biology so much.

Well I hate Maths and I'm passing that tongue.gif

I know what you mean though, it does make it really difficult to revise the subject because I find it so completely boring. That's why I wondered if anyone had any revision tips or anything!

Or advice on passing essays...

#6 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

for essays - do every essay question in every past paper you can get your hands on. fairly often, essay topics are along the same lines, so you can sort of "re-use" essays. plus, all the writing essays means you learn topics fairly in depth, meaning that you know them when it comes to the short answer questions aswell
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#7 Hev

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

ohmy.gif Human Biology is the only thing i like! lol

but i'm the same, it's my essays that let me down enormously, in my prelim i got like 5 and 7 :S

i just do past paper essay and get essay ideas from my teacher and hand them into him so he can show me what i'm doing wrong. depends on your teacher though, there's some teacher i'm more than sure wouldn't do this for any pupil lol
IPB Image
This year's Fenella Feline (CAT) in Peterhead's Pantomine Pinocchio!

#8 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Hev @ Mar 28 2006, 07:41 PM) View Post

ohmy.gif Human Biology is the only thing i like! lol

but i'm the same, it's my essays that let me down enormously, in my prelim i got like 5 and 7 :S

i just do past paper essay and get essay ideas from my teacher and hand them into him so he can show me what i'm doing wrong. depends on your teacher though, there's some teacher i'm more than sure wouldn't do this for any pupil lol

yup same here, my favourite subject!
i can never think up enough information to write in essays !
in my prelim i only did half an essay out 2 on aerobic respiration and got 4 but i still managed to pass the
prelim smile.gif and btw 7s good for an essay biggrin.gif
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users