Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher - HSN forum

Advanced Higher

33 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:48 PM

I thinking about doing Advanced Higher Chemistry next year.
I've taken Higher Chemistry , and after revising (got the prelim on friday) it all seems to fit in. So i was wondering how it is and if its difficult.

Is it as difficult as Advanced Higher computing or Maths.?

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:05 PM

I'm doing it this year, even though I don't need it for University. I found Higher interesting, and it was my favourite science subject.

There's certainly a lot of interesting stuff in the Advanced Higher, basically adding to what was covered in the Higher. It starts off with Electronic Structure (a bit like Higher Physics at times), then goes onto Reactions (like Higher Unit 3 with equations, and much more detail). Finally, there's more Organic Chemistry; we've just started this and it seems OK.

Practicals are much longer and more complicated, and there's a 20-hour 'Investigation' unit, which (I think) contributes to your final grade.

We just sat our prelim on Monday, and it was 'reasonable' (last years' was much harder, and we used that to practice). The difficulty lies in remembering so much content; though I suppose this is common to most, if not all, Advanced Highers.

If you want to check out the sort of stuff that's covered, try Ardrossan Academy's AH Notes.

#3 Louisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:34 PM

Hi, I'm doing Advanced Higher chemistry this year too, and was wondering if anyone knows any names of good revision materials for the course;books, revision notes and suchlike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

biggrin.gif Louisa

#4 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:00 PM

George,

How much longer do you reckon you would need to spend on the advanced higher course as a whole in comparison to the higher?

Laura xxx

#5 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:12 PM

I'm probably not a very good role model; I've not really been very motivated in Chemistry this year. ohmy.gif

It is a hard course, so if you want to do well you will probably need to put in more time than at Higher. Sorry I can't be more helpful unsure.gif

#6 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:18 PM

That's ok! I just wondered because my teacher said to me that I'd need to go to class in my own time if I was only going to be scheduled with the Higher folk, I just wondered how often I might need to go up. It's not too important - I guess I'll find out in time anyway.

Laura xxx

#7 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:30 PM

I'm aiming for an A in the exam but i feel i would be quite lucky to get one. Do you feel it is possible to sit advanced higher if i only recieve a B in the higher?

#8 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Douglas @ May 28 2004, 10:30 PM)
I'm aiming for an A in the exam but i feel i would be quite lucky to get one. Do you feel it is possible to sit advanced higher if i only recieve a B in the higher?

I don't see why not. It's really up to the PT of the department - it's at their discretion so you just have to plaed a good case (but I NEEEEEEEED the Advanced Higher for Uni! Don't take my dream from me! Pleeeeeeeeeease!) I dunno, maybe it only works if you're a girl...

[I'm kidding, of course!]....

#9 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

Hehe there is no harm in trying though.
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#10 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE ($impl¥_®i¢h @ May 31 2004, 05:54 PM)
Hehe there is no harm in trying though.

I guess not

user posted image

#11 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:42 PM

[/QUOTE]
what is it that you want to do at uni like?

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:55 PM

How did the AH exam go?

#13 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

The exam wasn't too bad, in my opinion. I'm planning to put together a document with all the answers (supplied by my teacher).

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:08 PM

Is it just AH chemistry? Or is it other subjects aswell?

#15 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:28 AM

Yeah just AH chemistry, but I think we'll also be doing solutions for all the Higher Maths past papers too.

#16 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:16 PM

put it this way ah chem is the most difficult subject i think the sqa has to offer

we wre lucky to get such an easy paper this yr which is rare

#17 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

I thought AH Physics was the hardest course??

user posted image

#18 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:33 PM

No way!

Chemistry even at Higher.

Try both n ull find out.

#19 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:37 PM

ok ok, i suppose every 1 will have their own point of view, and opinions, after their experiences, as they might be good at physics and find it easy, or they might be good at chemistry and find that easier.

user posted image

#20 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:38 PM

its statistically proven by national ratings

the hardest higher is geology then chemistry

hardest AH is chemistry

1 user(s) are reading this topic