Who's into Rap/Hip Hop?

50 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you into rap/hip-hop? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you into rap/hip-hop?

1. 1- Yes (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. 2- No (15 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote

#21 IcE

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

NOT hahahaha

#22 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Ice, no offence mate.

But you are relatively new here and could get a boot from certain admin if you don't shape up.

#23 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

I vote we ban this IcE character!

All in favour say AYE!
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#24 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(kyle @ Feb 13 2006, 11:06 PM)
Eh?
John Bonham... Jimmy page...  Robert plant... john paul jones...

Talent enough for ya?

View Post

Overflow of talent...oh my god! They knew musical theory, they could do stuff with their instruments that I thought impossible and redefined music to what we know it as today...but when you compare that to stuff that just goes "bling, bling" and "Ridin' with ma bitches" then they had absolutely no talent at all rolleyes.gif

#25 IcE

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

How, because I like rap, come on, we all can't be the same now, can we now? lol
Woah dude rock on, we smash our guitars and scream WOOOOOO

#26 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:13 PM

Noone has a problem with the fact you like rap.

Its the way you're acting dude.

That being a prime example.

NOT hahahaha

And that...

#27 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(IcE @ Feb 13 2006, 11:11 PM)
How, because I like rap, come on, we all can't be the same now, can we now? lol

View Post

Yes, Pete Townshend smashed a few guitars, but he could also PLAY INCREDIBLE STUFF. Smashing guitars made him a lot of money. Not to mention that he could write some amazing stuff. One of the biggest bands the world ever knew. Keith Moon smashed his drum kits up and John Entwhistle killed a few of his own basses. But they wrote some great stuff and fans loved it. Richest vandals in the world was their title.

If you're suggesting Led Zeppelin smashed guitars then you are very much mistaken. I'd have nightmares if Jimmy Paige smashed up that lovely double 6 and 12 string that he uses to play "Stairway To Heaven" ever so well.

Not to mention that the remaining members of those bands I mentioned are heavily involved in charity work.

#28 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 14 2006, 12:11 AM)

... "bling, bling" and "Ridin' with ma bitches" then they had absolutely no talent at all

View Post

Haha, point well made!
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#29 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

... "bling, bling" and "Ridin' with ma bitches" then they had absolutely no talent at all

View Post

tell that to 2pac's mother wink.gif

rapping requires a lot of talent mate. I am not talking about people like 50 cent, who I think is one of the shitest rappers I have ever heard. Listen to artists like Talib Kweli, 2pac, Biggie Smalls, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu Tang Clan.....these are quality artists with TONS of talent. Rapping is much harder than singing, anyday. What rappers do you know of for which you are basing this 'no talent' thing on?

#30 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 13 2006, 11:17 PM)

Not to mention that the remaining members of those bands I mentioned are heavily involved in charity work.

View Post

What has got to do with anything?

#31 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Feb 13 2006, 11:23 PM)

View Post

tell that to 2pac's mother wink.gif

rapping requires a lot of talent mate. I am not talking about people like 50 cent, who I think is one of the shitest rappers I have ever heard. Listen to artists like Talib Kweli, 2pac, Biggie Smalls, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu Tang Clan.....these are quality artists with TONS of talent. Rapping is much harder than singing, anyday. What rappers do you know of for which you are basing this 'no talent' thing on?

View Post

I'm basing it on the "REAL BANDS, require far more talent than rapping" argument. Write a song with complicated movements and patterns in it, play the song on several instruments. Rapping, sorry mate, requires little or no musical theory and no talent with an instrument. Also, you try playing a complicated song by one of those bands and doing backing vocals, I'll give you a guitar and a year to do it and I bet you get nowhere close. Rapping may require talent for singing, but that's it.

#32 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

Yeh, i can talk pretty fast if i want to.

#33 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 13 2006, 11:27 PM)
I'm basing it on the "REAL BANDS, require far more talent than rapping" argument. Write a song with complicated movements and patterns in it, play the song on several instruments. Rapping, sorry mate, requires little or no musical theory and no talent with an instrument. Also, you try playing a complicated song by one of those bands and doing backing vocals, I'll give you a guitar and a year to do it and I bet you get nowhere close. Rapping may require talent for singing, but that's it.

View Post

Producing hip hop music is very difficult as well. It isn't a case of just making a beat. The beat has to be really catchy, and fresh. Hip hop is more artificial, I do not deny that, but that doesn't mean it "isn't music"; The aspect of the music that makes it the music is the rapping, which is not as easy as you may think. Yes, there are many bad rappers out there, but when you go deeper into the music you realise how much talent there is. 2pac was a poet, Biggie was a lyrical genius and then all the other greats in between. I mean all these rappers had supreme talents.

#34 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(YIC @ Feb 13 2006, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 13 2006, 11:27 PM)

View Post

Producing hip hop music is very difficult as well. It isn't a case of just making a beat. The beat has to be really catchy, and fresh. Hip hop is more artificial, I do not deny that, but that doesn't mean it "isn't music"; The aspect of the music that makes it the music is the rapping, which is not as easy as you may think. Yes, there are many bad rappers out there, but when you go deeper into the music you realise how much talent there is. 2pac was a poet, Biggie was a lyrical genius and then all the other greats in between. I mean all these rappers had supreme talents.

View Post

Yes, you can say the same for rock artists. Many of them could be considered as genius when it comes to lyrics and how they could sing. Then they surrounded themselves with even more talented people who could also write songs that were genius on their respective instruments. Myself and Kyle have used the "Led Zeppelin" argument a lot here. Go find a live Led Zeppelin song. Robert Plant could deliver the notes perfectly and also improve on these notes live. You'd be amazed at how much computers are used in the manufacture of music these days. Live Music these days is crap cause the artist sounds nothing like the album version on far too many occasions. You get the odd band that actually can perform though.

#35 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

I'm more into jazz and soul/funk rather than hip-hop. I prefer hip-hop and rap to that indie crap e.g. snow patrol, athlete, the strokes etc. - all sounds the same to me.

#36 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of rap/hip hop/whatever, but I'd never criticise someone for being a fan and I'd certainly never insinuate that the artists had little or no talent.

Sorry chaps, but that just smacks of blatant close-mindedness.
@

#37 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(tuppence @ Feb 14 2006, 12:06 PM)
I wouldn't say I'm a fan of rap/hip hop/whatever, but I'd never criticise someone for being a fan and I'd certainly never insinuate that the artists had little or no talent.

Sorry chaps, but that just smacks of blatant close-mindedness.

View Post

If you look at the start of the topic you'd see that myself an Kyle were just making a point about rock bands after Ice or YIC said that rock bands were crap. Then the argument about talent started.

#38 mystic

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:BMXing, anything to get me into trouble, having fun, riding the horses, being the person your parents don't want you to be friends with! my msn address is bleeding_the_vampire@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

sorry i have a strong dislike of rap and hip hop! not my music at all!
gizmo
x
if your thoughts are no good, its only because you don't express then clearly!
gizmo
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/milk...icture_0038.jpg

#39 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Just imagine a world without hip hop.... and then bow down and stare in wonder. YOU KNOW YOU WANNA!!!

#40 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

I am not a rap/hip hop fan either. Its just not what i like listening to at all. I can't really see why people like listening to it but they do, so ...ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users