Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
British Physics Olympiad 2005-06 - HSN forum

British Physics Olympiad 2005-06

7 replies to this topic

#1 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

Anyone doing/done it? I've been put up for it by my teacher.. but I honestly thought it took place ages ago. huh.gif

Apparently I'm doing it this Wednesday.

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

Well, I did it, and it is three hours plus fifteen minutes of sheer mental torture.

#3 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

lol, what does it involve exactly?
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

The 2002 and 2004 papers:

http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/BPhO_2004_paper2.pdf
http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/BPhO_2004...2_solutions.pdf

http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/BPhO_2002_paper2.pdf
http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/BPhO_2002...2_solutions.pdf

This year's paper seemed harder for some reason. tongue.gif

I'll post up a few questions as I remember them (no copyright notice was on the paper):

1. A pond with water of density [rho] is covered with oil to depth b of density 2[rho]/3. A stick of square cross-section 4b x 4b with the same density as the oil floats in the pond. Find the fraction of the stick submerged in water.

2. Estimate the contribution of the sun's gravitational attraction to the value of free fall on Earth.

3. Calculate the energy required for a man of mass m to jump a height h on earth, and calculate the radius of the smallest planet off which the man could jump and not escape.

4. Calculate the rate of work done when a student's heart pumps 72 beats a minute pumping [some volume] of blood against a pressure of 19.2 kPa.

5. Two rigid identical rods are attached to each other at right angles. A string is tied to one end of one rod and the other end of the string is attached to a surface, so that the setup hangs freely under gravity. Using a scale diagram, calculate the centre of gravity.

6. A copper conductor is sandwiched in two strips of thermal conductivity k and with w and temperature 0K. A current I heats the conductor.The copper conductor has a resistance:

R = a(1 + b theta.gif) (where theta.gif is the temperature.)

where a and b are constants.

Calculate the rate of heat generation in the conductor.
Show that as the current is increased, a critical current Ic is reached at which the temprature increases indefinitely. < This one particularly lost me.

I'll add a few others as I recall them.

#5 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

Lots of unknowns in those questions, it would seem.

#6 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Alot of it is derivation of formulas for scenarios. Very little calculation. In fact my calculator was practically off the whole time.

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

*stares blankly at papers* Wow, I have no ideas at all what they're on about in those papers. ohmy.gif

#8 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Feb 22 2006, 08:13 PM)
*stares blankly at papers* Wow, I have no ideas at all what they're on about in those papers. ohmy.gif

View Post

ditto!

thats worrying me somewhat.....
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users