Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Hotel Room, 12th Floor - By Norman MacCaig - HSN forum

Hotel Room, 12th Floor - By Norman MacCaig

3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

Does anybody have any notes that they'd be willing to share? Unfortunately I was off when this poem was taught.

The question asks me to select a poem in which a specific setting is strongly evoked, and to show how the poet creates this sense of place and/or time and discuss the relative importance of the setting to the poem as a whole. At least two of setting/theme/mood/symbolism or any appropriate feature should be mentioned.

I have selected the following quotations for my essay:

"This morning I watched from here
a helicopter skirting like a damaged insect"

"the Empire State Building, that
jumbo size dentist's drill"

"Its uncivilised darkness
is shot at by a million lit windows"

"the wildest of warwhoops continually uluating through
the glittering canyons and gulches"

"from coldwater flats, the blood
glazed on sidewalks."

I have a fair idea of what the poet is trying to say in each of these lines, but I need help analysing them and relating them to the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

#2 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

I did it as TA practice might still have my notes on it - will look for them
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#3 Adam

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:07 AM

Thanks, I'd greatly appreciate that!

#4 Tracy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location:Erm..My House, In Tranent, Near Edinburgh, SCOTLAND!
  • Interests:Being me

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

We are currently using a textbook called "selected scottish poets" and that poem is in it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users