Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
AH Geography. Whats it all about!? - HSN forum

Jump to content


AH Geography. Whats it all about!?


4 replies to this topic

#1 Gillz

    Site Swot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Fife
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.
  • Gender:Female

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

Doing Higher Geography just now and getting on really well with it and was thinking on taking AH next year, but was wondering how does it differ from the Higher course and basically whats it all about!? Cause i have no idea. Thanks! biggrin.gif

#2 bred

    Brendan

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Location:Edinburgh
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

There is a statistics topic which is tested in a NAB and which you are supposed to use as an aid for implementing statistical data into your study. There is a 3,000 word study (on a topic that would come under one of the Applications units in Higher) and a 2,000 word issues essay, both of which are externally assessed and which, together, account for 70% of the marks for the course. The other 30% is the final exam in which there is a statistics question and a couple of OS Map related questions.

See http://www.hsn.uk.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=432 for some more info.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Gillz

    Site Swot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Fife
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.
  • Gender:Female

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Feb 9 2006, 09:04 PM)
There is a statistics topic which is tested in a NAB and which you are supposed to use as an aid for implementing statistical data into your study. There is a 3,000 word study (on a topic that would come under one of the Applications units in Higher) and a 2,000 word issues essay, both of which are externally assessed and which, together, account for 70% of the marks for the course. The other 30% is the final exam in which there is a statistics question and a couple of OS Map related questions.

See http://www.hsn.uk.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=432 for some more info.

View Post



Thanks! Just another question! Is there as much to remember as Higher?
What grade did you get?

#4 ermd

    Fully Fledged Genius

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(Gillz @ Feb 9 2006, 09:22 PM)
Thanks! Just another question! Is there as much to remember as Higher?
What grade did you get?

View Post


That's 2 questions. tongue.gif

I'm doing it just now and I don't think there is as much to "remember". Since you're only gaining 30% of your grade from the final exam, their is much less content. You do one map interpretation question and one statistics question.

Basing it on the prelim I just sat, you've got to know stuff about locational factors for industry/hotels/leisure centres (communications, labour supply, site, situation, industrial linkages, environment etc.) for map interpretation and for the stats side, they give you all the figures and the equations, you just "plug it all in", as such.

They can also ask you to justify certain statistical methods. For example, in my prelim we had to prove a relationship between GDP and Population per doctor. We then had to explain why this relationship existed (relating back to higher development and health largely).

#5 bred

    Brendan

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Location:Edinburgh
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

Yeah, only one map interpretation question but it is split into two parts. I was the first person at my school to get an "A" in AH Geography (biggrin.gif) although one person did get an "A" in the old SYS Geography in a previous year.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users